RAID 0, 1 5 and 10

Acerpwns

what is RAID, how do i set it up and whats the benefit of having it? :)

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

Raid is drives working together to achieve either more performance, more reliability or both.

Raid 0 = Splitting all data half and half across 2 drives so that when you need to read it (Loading times for instance) you use the reading speed of both drives separately effectively doubling your read speed.

Raid 1 = Doubling data. So if I save something on drive 1 it will also be copied to drive 2. This means that one of your drives can fail and you will lose no data.

Raid 5 = Selectively doubling specific data to specific drives. Is very reliable but require at least 5 drives (or 4, I don't remember)

Raid 10 = Combination of raid 0 and raid 1. Requires 4 drives.

Edit:

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

RAID is a way of arranging drives in a system to improve performance or add drive redundancy (should a drive fail) 

Drives can be striped, which means putting drives together into one storage pool for increased performance

or they can be mirrored, where contents of one drive are copied to another

Finally a drive can use another for parity, where they store data should one of the drives fail

Quick rundown of the main 0, 1, 5, 10

RAID 0 - 2 drives combined into one storage amount, faster read and writes - if one fails both fail - no redundancy

RAID 1 - 2 drives mirrored, one drive holds an exact copy of the data on the other, one drive can fail

RAID 5 - 3 drives, data is mixed across drives for parity - requires a minimum of 3 drives, and can sustain 1 failure

RAID 10 - a mixture of 1 + 0,  2 Drives are striped for speeds, and then mirrored to 2 further drives, can sustain 2 drive failures, also gets the speed benefit of raid 5

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Drives, the most basic understanding is that it's a technology to create 1 partition out of multiple individual drives.

RAID has different levels with different performance characteristics,

RAID 1 is combining two or more drives into 1 partition, usually two drives. only the capacity of 1 drive is usable, but identical data is saved onto both drives, and if 1 fails you still have data from the other drive so you don't lose any.

RAID 0 is also combining two or more drives into 1 partition, capacity of all the drives are available for use and data is saved across all drives. RAID 0 increases your read/write speeds because data can be read from and written to multiple drives at once, but if just one of your drives fail you will lose all your data on the partition

RAID 10, or RAID 1+0 is a RAID 1 done on two or more RAID 0 partitions. This requires way more drives but you get performance gain as well as data security. Capacity varies depending on setup but it's usually 1/2 of the sum of drive space.

RAID 5 and RAID 6 are both parity RAID, there are bits of redundancy shared within each drive calculated by a algorithm. RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives and RAID 6 requires at least 5, RAID 5 can withstand the failure of 1 drive before suffering data loss, RAID 6 can withstand the loss of 2 drives before data loss. RAID 5 gives you (sum-1 drive) space, RAID 6 gives you (sum-2 drives) space.

RAID 5, 6, and 10 do not work well under standare onboard RAID, get a RAID controller if you want to do those RAID levels.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

By the way, the same was asked (and answered) here just 2 days ago: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/236258-what-is-raid-0-raid-5-just-heard-it-in-another-topic/

RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives and RAID 6 requires at least 5,

Actually 4. :)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Raid is drives working together to achieve either more performance, more reliability or both.

Raid 0 = Splitting all data half and half across 2 drives so that when you need to read it (Loading times for instance) you use the reading speed of both drives separately effectively doubling your read speed.

Raid 1 = Doubling data. So if I save something on drive 1 it will also be copied to drive 2. This means that one of your drives can fail and you will lose no data.

Raid 5 = Selectively doubling specific data to specific drives. Is very reliable but require at least 5 drives (or 4, I don't remember)

Raid 10 = Combination of raid 0 and raid 1. Requires 4 drives.

Edit:

aha thanks, i remember seeing a RAID techquickie video but then i completely forgot about it  :)

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

By the way, the same was asked (and answered) here just 2 days ago: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/236258-what-is-raid-0-raid-5-just-heard-it-in-another-topic/

Actually 4. :)

never saw the other post, sorry