Is this Hard drive dead?

gramzon

Hi,

My laptop has stopped working, and won't boot anymore I've taken it out and attached to my PC, the Crystal disk program shows caution. Is this hard drive not usable anymore and needs replacing or will putting a fresh OS on it fix the issue? I've attached the screenshot of crystal disk info.

post-32284-0-77092900-1413881400_thumb.p

Looks like it has a lot of dead sectors... you could reformat and use it for a while but it will fail again in a few months

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Looks like it has a lot of dead sectors... you could reformat and use it for a while but it will fail again in a few months

Thanks for the reply, could I ask to educate myself. When looking at crystal disk what are the important points and also what do they mean?

Yes, throw it in the garbage before it kills you. Just joking, don't flag me.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

yeah the second crystal flags its up its on its last legs.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Hi,

My laptop has stopped working, and won't boot anymore I've taken it out and attached to my PC, the Crystal disk program shows caution. Is this hard drive not usable anymore and needs replacing or will putting a fresh OS on it fix the issue? I've attached the screenshot of crystal disk info.

Hey gramzon, 

According to CrystalDiskInfo, your drives has started to have bad sectors which means it wouldn't be safe to store info on it soon and will eventually fail. 
Since this is a WD drive (WD Scorpio Blue mobile), I would suggest downloading and running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and also check the drive with it to make sure the info from ChrystalDiskInfo is correct. Run both the quick and the extended tests to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive as well as for bad sectors. Here's a link: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810〈=en

In case the information is confirmed, I would suggest backing up your data as soon as possible and consider drive replacement. You can check if you drive is still in warranty and go for a RMA procedure. 

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for the reply, could I ask to educate myself. When looking at crystal disk what are the important points and also what do they mean?

it has a value of 200 at reallocated sectors count, which means 200 sectors became unusable and were remapped to a spot on the disk reserved for this kind of thing. I'm not really that familiar with CrystalDiskInfo though, I usually use speedfan.

Nope, it's a raw value.

It goes from 1 to 253 (1 for bad 253 for good) but manufacturers can normalize a value for the drive, WD sets it at 200, that's why I told him to use different software

Ah, that explains why the number was nice and round