Talk me out of Buying a Nvidia Shield Tablet

Arcticfo

Hey guys so I’m looking into getting a shield tablet because I’ve always been fond of the form factor.  Anyway, the problem I’m having is I already have a full powered Gaming desktop (reason for wanting the shield exclusively), an Asus Zenbook, and a Moto X.  Though I’m sure it wouldn’t replace my phone due to portability (8” is portable but not quite that portable) I’m concerned about my laptop.  I’m kind of afraid that if I pick up the shield then I will pretty much never have use for my laptop again.  I’m a student so I do like typing my notes though that has never been an option for me when it comes to math and physics which are core parts of my major and I would like to add those to my digital note collection.  Also I read a lot of comics and though I love my phone a bigger screen would make comixology that much more enjoyable.  Same with e-reading I have a nook touch though one less device is good and though I prefer reading from an actual book I’d honestly rather read from a tablet than a dedicated E-reader.

Pros:     

1.       Game Streaming

2.       Math and Physics Notes

3.       Comixology

4.       E-reading

5.       Android Gaming

6.       Portable Media device for when I travel (fairly often)

Cons:

1.       Possibly replaces my laptop

2.       Game streaming isn’t necessary in my apartment

3.       I could use the $300 + for something else

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also one quick question about the shield.  Has anyone used a dual shock 4 via Bluetooth with it?  How does it work comparatively to the base controller?  I ask because I love the ps4 controller and use it for my PC currently and would love to be able to just transfer it over to the shield.

ArcticFo

"I don't know, isn't that Brilliant, I love not knowing keeps me on my toes." David Tennant

Like with someone else asking to talk them out of buying a MacBook Air, I can't talk you out of it.

I don't own one, but I have the blessing of owning a Portable. As a device, it's fantastic. Do it! Either that, or wait for the Nexus 9 and in that time, save another $100. Or just get an iPad Mini Retina for $299.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Imagine all the beer you could buy instead.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

buy the original shield

Normally I'd agree with you though $200 for a purely gaming device just doesn't seem like a good deal to me.  Where as 300 for a tablet plus pretty good gaming device holds a little more value.

"I don't know, isn't that Brilliant, I love not knowing keeps me on my toes." David Tennant

just think, Nvidia is trying to sue Samsung and qualcomm which if they win and qualcomm cannot make phone SOCs anymore will crash the phone market just because nvidia stupid chip wont sell well

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Don't buy it. Would you really spend 300$ just so you have a slightly bigger screen, when you're phone can also do almost everything and you said game stream isn't even necessary? And if you're concerned that you're phone will go out of juice if you use it too much, a massive PowerBank only sets you back a fraction of the price.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Don't buy it. Would you really spend 300$ just so you have a slightly bigger screen, when you're phone can also do almost everything and you said game stream isn't even necessary? And if you're concerned that you're phone will go out of juice if you use it too much, a massive PowerBank only sets you back a fraction of the price.

Is there a good alternative to it for a reasonable price for note taking? I've looked at like a wacom styled device and it just seems like to much of a pain.

@Arcticfo well for note taking, a cheap midrange, low end device could even do

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

@Arcticfo well for note taking, a cheap midrange, low end device could even do

What's the cheapest low to midrange device you'd recommend? In my experience that has usually fallen to the nexus device At 225ish also to add to the usefulness of it I'm looking at near stock devices for the purpose of developing for android.

Normally I'd agree with you though $200 for a purely gaming device just doesn't seem like a good deal to me.  Where as 300 for a tablet plus pretty good gaming device holds a little more value.

your forgeting that its both cheaper and it has an integrated controller plus it does run android so you can use it for regular android things. also idk if the tablet can do the game streaming over the internet.

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

your forgeting that its both cheaper and it has an integrated controller plus it does run android so you can use it for regular android things. also idk if the tablet can do the game streaming over the internet.

Normally like I said I'd agree with you the shield portable is a great device and would be fantastic for just gaming in general however doing android things with a controller in the way is kinda a pain, also the shield tablet has the integrated stylus, a better higher definition screen and more android usability outside of purely gaming aspects. Also I'm not sure on the remote gamestream every indication seems that it would though honestly my upload speed from my Internet connection isn't satisfactory regardless so I'd be stuck via just using game stream from home anyway.

What's the cheapest low to midrange device you'd recommend? In my experience that has usually fallen to the nexus device At 225ish also to add to the usefulness of it I'm looking at near stock devices for the purpose of developing for android.

You can consider the tegra note 7. It goes for almost half the price of the shield and also has the direct stylus function that the shield does.

You can consider the tegra note 7. It goes for almost half the price of the shield and also has the direct stylus function that the shield does.

How is the note 7? If you know anyway, when it came out the non 1080p screen and cut down tegra 4 turned me off towards it.

How is the note 7? If you know anyway, when it came out the non 1080p screen and cut down tegra 4 turned me off towards it.

Well im considering between shield and the tegra note for a note taking tablet. Direct stylus seems extremely useful since im left handed and the palm rejection will make it easier to write on the right side where blank space in notes usually are. I would personally prefer the shield but at half the price, the note seems to be a much better deal.

The non 1080p and 7 inch screen does put me off since even my m7 has a better screen than the note which seems like a downgrade to my phone. IIRC the tegra 4 is still an extremely powerful processor. Im waiting till BF to compare prices and make a final decision

Well im considering between shield and the tegra note for a note taking tablet. Direct stylus seems extremely useful since im left handed and the palm rejection will make it easier to write on the right side where blank space in notes usually are. I would personally prefer the shield but at half the price, the note seems to be a much better deal.

The non 1080p and 7 inch screen does put me off since even my m7 has a better screen than the note which seems like a downgrade to my phone. IIRC the tegra 4 is still an extremely powerful processor. Im waiting till BF to compare prices and make a final decision

I didn't realize they dropped the price on the note 7 down so much at 130 that is a very compelling deal, so I guess it's just trying to decide if the upgraded stylus, much better screen, better cover implementation, more power, and the occasional game stream is worth the extra 170... also to answer a question posed earlier Remote gamestream is available on the shield tablet according to Tech Crunch http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/09/nvidia-shield-tablet-review/.

Sorry i was(and still am :D) pretty hungover, so thats why the late response

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6

Asus memopad 7 hd, its around the specs of the nexus 7 1st gen. And a stylus costs almost no money.

BUT

The tegra note looks really nice , even better in fact, plus you have a stylus with it by default. 

i bought the shield originally solely for just a tablet

eventually i caved and bought the controller, and tomorrow i get fiber internet so i should be able to stream when i have to work night shift and have nothing to do

either way i am happy with it, no regrets

if for inside of house, nuc?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Normally like I said I'd agree with you the shield portable is a great device and would be fantastic for just gaming in general however doing android things with a controller in the way is kinda a pain, also the shield tablet has the integrated stylus, a better higher definition screen and more android usability outside of purely gaming aspects. Also I'm not sure on the remote gamestream every indication seems that it would though honestly my upload speed from my Internet connection isn't satisfactory regardless so I'd be stuck via just using game stream from home anyway.

it does have a touch screen ya know

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZxZFsAGVjMg&ei=gPlDVIH4IoSTyATwjoGYDg&usg=AFQjCNFb3Eicp7Ylr-7f_GDbhwVpYZHp_Q&sig2=rrXMBu-0NBpox0yiPpGOwg

i bought the shield originally solely for just a tablet

eventually i caved and bought the controller, and tomorrow i get fiber internet so i should be able to stream when i have to work night shift and have nothing to do

either way i am happy with it, no regrets

That's good to know glad you like it, I think I've talked myself back into getting it or the tegra note 7 I don't need game streaming though it would be nice as an every once in a while thing. I'm now only concerned about the controller and if it can support the dual shock 4.