Razer BlackWidow Chroma vs Corsair K70 RGB

MrWifiman

I bought the Corsair K65 RGB (red cherry switches) keyboard from Best Buy but had to immediately return it to get the Razer Blackwidow Chroma and here is why.

Corsair K65 RGB requires 2 USB ports to function, requires drivers for even the keystrokes to work, only supports Windows. (also, does not do usb pass-though to a Windows VM).

The Razer Blackwidow Chroma only requires one usb port to fully function, is usable in my bios, doesn't hang up my computer when it posts, keystrokes work without a special driver install and my only actual requirement the keystrokes work with Linux out of the box (I have to use Linux for work). To get it to work with Linux I program it using Razers software within a Windows VM using VirtualBox's usb settings and when I turn off my VM and use the keyboard in Linux the LED setting don't change. Even if I unplug it for an extended amount of time the settings say on the keyboard.

As for Razers new "Green" Switches I like them a lot. They are easier to click then the Cherry blue switches, slightly quieter, just as satisfying. Because I'm using mine at work I'll probably get o-rings to make mine silent. (Linux tech support)

Before you purchase, Id highly recommend going to Best Buy and trying them both out because the Razer Blackwidow Chroma with their green switches and Corsair K65 RGB with Cherry Red switches are on display there.

(FYI, K65 IS 10 KEYLESS)

I've Got the K70 Brown switches set to 1000Hz Polling.

Mine works when Plugged into 2 USB2.0 ports or 1 Port which it currently is and i've not had an issue, lights and everything working. The second plug is just to supply extra power to the keyboard. 

Works in BIOS without switching to BIOS mode.

Worked in GRUB (had to scroll down to select O/S) and windows login before installing CUE.

Works in Windows VM.

HOWEVER it only works in native Linux in BIOS mode and even then takes forever to load Linux. DO NOT buy this if Linux is your main o/s. 

I love mine and have even convinced 2 work colleagues to get one.

Razer

I recently bought the Razer BlackWidow with the green (I think or was it blue?) switches, couldn't stand it.... Compared to the 2012 edition the keys were not to my liking at all, so slow to return and feel like they are touching when going down. The run down:

1. Great build quality as usual

2. Great looks

3. No reflective surfaces for hand or finger prints like the old one

4. EPIC fail on switch responsiveness, typing speeds, key travel down and return

It now lives in the bottom of my cables box.

K70 RGB

Then I bought the K70 RGB MX Brown, plugged into usb 2 worked fine with both, plugged into usb 3 single cable works fine however:

1. On the 4th week the MX brown keys started give me double taps, especially on the i (sent it back and got another one, has been perfect since)

2. Corsair just don't give a FCUK about anyone other other the US key layout, so UK people (like me) and other whom have that extra key between the left shit and the z key have a key which will not light up, however can be configured in the software etc. It does work just it will only light up in the default (shipped firmware) and default colour schema. So many of us are still waiting for Corsair to sort this out but it's been over 2 months now. This also effects the K90 RGB.

3. I've had no problems with polling speed, flicked that switch around a good few times to result in no change, bios - fine, ubuntu - fine, window 7 x 64 - fine

4. The software - it's not as complicated as everyone makes out, but if you are having trouble with it I have made 27+ profile themes that you can use which can be downloaded from: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228854-corsair-k70-rgb-profile-set-for-download/

5. The keys - MX Brown, oh yes, light to press, fast and for me a programmers dream :)

I have tried both the The BlackWidow 2013 and 2014 side by side and I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS buy the 2014 edition, not that it´s anything wrong with khail switches but they just dosent feel the same (on the same keyboard). Also Cherry switches are more expensive so you would think that razer could lower their prices a bit but no, why would they.

The Corsair RGB is nice, but it´s still Corsair with more colors...

Style is everything, all mechanical keyboards are around the same price. If you need RGB colors, well buy the Corsair if not just pick the coolest

Also go with your gut feeling, You might get stuck with that keyboard for a while