What switches should I choose?

Sack

Hi everyone, so I thought I wanted brown switches, but after trying them out at a store yesterday I'm not so sure anymore. ATM I have a Razer Lycosa board (low profile) and the reason I'm looking to switch is because I think the keys are getting a bit unresponsive, and they feel like they're a bit soggy (not entirly sure how to describe them). My issue with the browns was that they kind of felt like the board that I allready have. I got to try some reds too and I actually think that's what I want.

Anyone can give me some PROs and CONs on red vs. brown, I'm mainly going to use the board for some MMO gaming and some typing (I go to UNI).

p.s: I find blue ones annoying, the same goes for greens.

It's really hard to list pros and cons of different switches, since it's pretty much up to personal preference.

If you like Reds, go with Reds. Maybe try our Blacks, if you want a heavier feel. 

If you want, you can give this guide a read. It might help.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I've got browns and I like them. Also I should mention that I have noise dampeners installed, which make the keyboard a lot quieter, but don't remove the tactile feedback.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

I like MX Clears and browns the most.

can't stand reds mushy press.  at least blacks you know your pressing the key.

as far as Reds vs brown

linear vs tactile

try typing on the switches for a prolonged time.   you'll know after 10 mins if you want to game on it. 

Don't forget Topre switches.  Now that CM has a keyboard with them they are more obtainable.

I'm holding off buying till the new Logitec keyboard comes out with it's brand new switch type.

1 Timothy 1:15

I like MX Clears and browns the most.

can't stand reds mushy press.  at least blacks you know your pressing the key.

as far as Reds vs brown

linear vs tactile

try typing on the switches for a prolonged time.   you'll know after 10 mins if you want to game on it. 

My buddy works at the shop where I tried them, so I could type away as much as I wanted, and I really found that I liked the reds more than the brown. I also got to try blues and greens, and I found that the greens was too heavy for me, so I don't really think I'll like the black switches. I tried a CM storm keyboard with the greens and the reds, and a corsair K70 with the blues and browns. I found that I really like the CM boards a lot, even though they lack some of the features of the K70.

Don't forget Topre switches.  Now that CM has a keyboard with them they are more obtainable.

http://youtu.be/d3DwCptX-OA?list=UUNovoA9w0KnxyDP5bGrOYzg

I'm holding off buying till the new Logitec keyboard comes out with it's brand new switch type.

My buddy is ordering them in for the store, so I might be able to give them a test-type so to speak, I'm curious about these romer-g switches. The reason I want to go mechanical is to get rid of the rubber feel, and that just seems like more of the same thing, don't get me wrong I know some people prefer them (I used to be one of them) but I think that's the wrong kind of switches for me.

Hi everyone, so I thought I wanted brown switches, but after trying them out at a store yesterday I'm not so sure anymore. ATM I have a Razer Lycosa board (low profile)

My buddy works at the shop where I tried them, so I could type away as much as I wanted, and I really found that I liked the reds more than the brown.

My buddy is ordering them in for the store, so I might be able to give them a test-type so to speak, I'm curious about these romer-g switches. The reason I want to go mechanical is to get rid of the rubber feel, and that just seems like more of the same thing, don't get me wrong I know some people prefer them (I used to be one of them) but I think that's the wrong kind of switches for me.

Are you sure?

Remember that you are not obligated to like mechanical switches just because you're a gamer/pc master race freak/technology lover. Some people can't stand them for their reasons and not all chiclet/membrane keyboards are shit. They are usually pretty good or else they wouldn't be so common.

You can find bad-ass membrane keyboards for much cheaper than regular mechanical versions so... I wouldn't say membrane is better because browns are too good to be true for me but you might not like or be able to get used to mechanical switches so don't tell yourself you must use it because you don't.

Also, some people tend to think that having mechanical keyboards, gaming stuff, etc, makes you better at gaming/typing/whatever. That does not apply every time, it's really more up to one's skill than anything else.

Give a shitty kb+mouse to a pro player/typist and he'll do just fine, maybe not as good because of not being used to the new stuff, but that's about it.

Good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I don't mind the "rubber" feel on a new keyboard but over time the bounce back just gets to be too slow.  That's why I was looking at Topre which has a spring to assist in the bounce back.

The romer-g will not have a rubber feel but will be much closer to the feel of reds but actuate sooner.  I'm not sure of the require force though.  If they make it as light as the reds I would not be that interested.

1 Timothy 1:15

Are you sure?

Remember that you are not obligated to like mechanical switches just because you're a gamer/pc master race freak/technology lover. Some people can't stand them for their reasons and not all chiclet/membrane keyboards are shit. They are usually pretty good or else they wouldn't be so common.

You can find bad-ass membrane keyboards for much cheaper than regular mechanical versions so... I wouldn't say membrane is better because browns are too good to be true for me but you might not like or be able to get used to mechanical switches so don't tell yourself you must use it because you don't.

Also, some people tend to think that having mechanical keyboards, gaming stuff, etc, makes you better at gaming/typing/whatever. That does not apply every time, it's really more up to one's skill than anything else.

Give a shitty kb+mouse to a pro player/typist and he'll do just fine, maybe not as good because of not being used to the new stuff, but that's about it.

Good luck.

As I mentioned earlier, I want to get rid of the keyboard I have now, because I no longer like how they feel, and I thought I would like the brown, but I don't really think that I do. Make no mistake, I have no disillusions about my "gaming skill/typing skill" is going to hitch a ride to the moon with a mechanical keyboard.

As I mentioned earlier, I want to get rid of the keyboard I have now, because I no longer like how they feel, and I thought I would like the brown, but I don't really think that I do. Make no mistake, I have no disillusions about my "gaming skill/typing skill" is going to hitch a ride to the moon with a mechanical keyboard.

Well then, as you said you have access to test "any" keyboard you want at your buddy's store, do that until you find what suits you the most!

Good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon