Photoshop scratch disk on HDD or SSD?

I was exploring the settings of PS CC and found that I could change the drive that my scratch disk is on.

I have a WD Blue 500GB HDD and a 840 EVO 120GB SSD.

Which would be better to have my scratch disk on?

Obviously the SSD is faster, but what about longevity?

(I usually work with simple designs for shirts and whatnot.)

i5-3570k and an R9 390 chugging along

If you use it like all the time, then you should put it on the ssd. if you dont use it super frequently leave it on the hdd

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Hdd all the way.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Hi,

If you give me the model number of the WD Blue drive, I can be more specific, but in general the SSD, used as a scratch destination, may provide you with better performance. Take in consideration two things:

1. 120GB for your OS + software + your scratch files may be insufficient. It depends on your work, file sizes, amount, etc.

2. Constant reading/writing on you SSD may shorten its life.

In other words, all depends on your needs. If you require faster work process and you have the space, use your SSD, but do some scheduled backups on the HDD part.

Keep in mind that future OS updates may require more space on the SSD part, which may result in capacity shortage.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html – some notes from Adobe, concerning optimizing performance.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/