Reservoir Level Decreasing?

Go to solution Solved by HaydenMadeEm,

I believe I have found the issue to the problem. I'm 99% sure that it is my reservoir. Yesterday I went to restart my computer; I remembered that when I was first building it, the water in the res would go down as it started to fill up rads and other components. I went to watch it as I rebooted, low and behold, I see water moving through the threads of the top of Phobya 250 res. So from what I can tell, the water has been evaporating through the threads at the top of my reservoir. I planned getting a new one anyways, but I'm quite upset that it has happened. 

I built my computer almost 4 months ago, made sure all my fittings were tight and got all of the air out of the Rads that I could. I've been keeping a close eye on my res and every couple of weeks double check all of my fittings and tighten them if possible (Using my hands, no tools have been used on the fittings) Recently the water in the res has been getting lower and lower (a millimeter every other week or so) and I have been unable to find any leaks anywhere. I used primo flex tubing and alpha cool fittings, I have swiftech rads. I wouldn't think that it's leftover air that's been trapped in the rads because like I said it's been almost 4 months (comp was finished on June 6th) any possible Ideas or suggestions?

Evaporation 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Evaporation 

This^

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Now my question is... is it normal that it does NOT decrease? Is evaporation supposed to happen?

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Evaporation 

This^

wouldnt it just condense on the surface of the res and drop back in?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

It sounds weird, but it is the general consensus. I don't understand either. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Is evaporation normal? I wouldn't think that it could evaporate from a sealed loop?

Now my question is... is it normal that it does NOT decrease? Is evaporation supposed to happen?

I believe it is normal. I also think that it is because of the tubing is slightly porous and lets out some liquid.

Quote me to get a reply!

I believe it is normal. I also think that it is because of the tubing is slightly porous and lets out some liquid.

Ah certain plastics are permeable to gases.... (CHEMISTRY STUDENT HERE WOOO) Probably OP's res is made of an amorphous material

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

it is not evaporation (system is closed)

water level decreasing is:

air purging from system (slowly)

undetected leak

air lock in system not allowing the system to be hydraulic.

Ah certain plastics are permeable to gases.... (CHEMISTRY STUDENT HERE WOOO) Probably OP's res is made of an amorphous material

This. In addition to this, if a res a watertight, it does not mean it's completely airtight, especially around the fill ports where the water doesn't flow, and/or if it's glued together, there's a chance of this depending on the design. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

it is not evaporation (system is closed)

water level decreasing is:

air purging from system (slowly)

undetected leak

air lock in system not allowing the system to be hydraulic.

So my point. The plastic that makes your reservoir is permeable to gas and thus the volume in your res will slowly decrease. Your only option now is to either change your res or just keep adding volumes of your solvent 

So my point. The plastic that makes your reservoir is permeable to gas and thus the volume in your res will slowly decrease. Your only option now is to either change your res or just keep adding volumes of your solvent 

Typically I would think the glue on some acrylic reservoirs would be the permeable substance. I've heard of this issue, and in particular people recommending certain types of glue to those making their own DIY res. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The res is a phobya 250, I plan on doing maintenence in december (6 months from build finish) Going to drain the entire loop, and a quick disconnect for easier draining (didn't think about putting one in before the build) If anyone can recommend cylindrical res' for me that would be great! Thinking about getting the one that Linus has (also have a UV build) I'll keep an eye out for major links, Thanks for all the help!

The res is a phobya 250, I plan on doing maintenence in december (6 months from build finish) Going to drain the entire loop, and a quick disconnect for easier draining (didn't think about putting one in before the build) If anyone can recommend cylindrical res' for me that would be great! Thinking about getting the one that Linus has (also have a UV build) I'll keep an eye out for major links, Thanks for all the help!

I can't be 100% sure it is the res. You COULD try to get some advice from OCN maybe, or message particular people in forums that are experts in this. If it is the res, you might just be able to add some sealant of some kind to it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

most common material used is Generic Acrylic (PMMA)

Acrylic Typical Properties Generic Acrylic (PMMA)

and to evolve that thought, it'd take years for permeation to create this dilemma.

and to evolve that thought, it'd take years for permeation to create this dilemma.

like I said it's generally poor sealing if it is the reservoir. 

The material itself, like most plastics, is not very susceptible to that. 

There's other places in the loop that could be the culprit to. The pump, for example. Though, kinda rare. 

But cheap/bag QC pumps or partial acrylic blocks can cause problems beyond just leaks. Generally that's only the case if either have glue as a vital part of the sealing. 

I hear, though I have no idea if this is true or not,, that some types of tubing are more permeable. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Hmm then it could be the pump at work

I built my computer almost 4 months ago, made sure all my fittings were tight and got all of the air out of the Rads that I could. I've been keeping a close eye on my res and every couple of weeks double check all of my fittings and tighten them if possible (Using my hands, no tools have been used on the fittings) Recently the water in the res has been getting lower and lower (a millimeter every other week or so) and I have been unable to find any leaks anywhere. I used primo flex tubing and alpha cool fittings, I have swiftech rads. I wouldn't think that it's leftover air that's been trapped in the rads because like I said it's been almost 4 months (comp was finished on June 6th) any possible Ideas or suggestions?

The res is a phobya 250,

if you have no physical leak (not a drop) then you have not bled all the air from the system.

Hmm then it could be the pump at work

you're reaching for nothing now.

I was quite sure that most tubing was made from low durometer PVC.

This has an interesting section on use of plasticizers in PVC: http://www.gupta-verlag.com/media/bookshop/rehearsal/20050818_2581819959-57_3-446-22714-8_Leseprobe_1.pdf

Although I do agree with you that 1-2mm per month of loss in a loop seems excessive, however, a leak occuring that slowly isn't an issue anyway. It could be a piece of dust under an o-ring. 

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I don't think it's the pump, can't think of the name of it right now, but it's the one that Linus always recommends, I guess maybe I didn't get all the air out? I spent about an hour tipping the case back and forth, side to side to get all the air out I could, but maybe some just never made it out? I suppose it also could be from leftover air in the tubing, as the uv green primo flex tubing isn't very transparent. I will keep checking for leaks etc, will probably just get one of those helix res' anyway since i like the look and they're uv.

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but I would assume it's some-what important: I'm using distilled water for my solvent.

• 1 month later...

I believe I have found the issue to the problem. I'm 99% sure that it is my reservoir. Yesterday I went to restart my computer; I remembered that when I was first building it, the water in the res would go down as it started to fill up rads and other components. I went to watch it as I rebooted, low and behold, I see water moving through the threads of the top of Phobya 250 res. So from what I can tell, the water has been evaporating through the threads at the top of my reservoir. I planned getting a new one anyways, but I'm quite upset that it has happened.