Blue vs Brown Keys

Go to solution Solved by jayctech,

So I've been using a blue switch board for a month and last night I decided (while I can still make use of my return policy on Amazon) to check out a brown switch board.

Conclusion: I prefer brown switch because I find I'm less likely to bottom out since the bump itself requires less force, I can "wiggle" around the actuation point more easily for multiple strokes and I feel brown is closer to the top.

I feel the best way to differentiate the bump difference is that brown just sort of feels like it happens (like "oh, there was a bump there") whereas blue feels like I've very definitely gone through a bump.

I'm sure this topic has been covered before and a lot of the questions I have could be answered online but I have specific questions I'd like answered from people with experience with the keys.

With that in mind:

For those that have only used blue keys:

• Do you have to let the key rise all the way to the top before the next keypress is registered when double tapping? (eg, say double tapping for a game)

For those that have only used browns:

• What do you think of the bump? Is it noticeable? Mushy?

For those that have used both, in addition to the blue question:

• How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper.
  • Browns are apparently lighter - is the difference noticeable?
  • Are blues actually louder? From what I've read of the mechanisms they should all be about as loud when bottoming out. Of course the click is still there.

Also when commenting please state which switch type(s) you have experience with.

Thanks in advance! ^_^

I'm a blue user.

No, you don't have to let the key rise all the way to the top it only has to pass the actuation point of the key. I prefer to wait for it to 'come back' if you will but it works either way, I just tried it.

Waiting is more practical, otherwise it just feels odd. That's my opinion, though.

the actuation point of blues is actually sligthly below the click, so you can doubletap without clicking a second time, but you need some practice to do it.

cant commend on browns, havent used them yet ;)

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I'm a blue user.

No, you don't have to let the key rise all the way to the top it only has to pass the actuation point of the key. I prefer to wait for it to 'come back' if you will but it works either way, I just tried it.

Waiting is more practical, otherwise it just feels odd. That's my opinion, though.

the actuation point of blues is actually sligthly below the click, so you can doubletap without clicking a second time, but you need some practice to do it.

cant commend on browns, havent used them yet ;)

Thanks for the comments. Just 1 follow-up on that then, on the second tap of the double tap, do you still get a click sound or feel the bump? Or do you need to let the key reset for that?

I'm on Browns (never used other MX switches) and they definitely take some getting used to. The first week you'll probably just bottom them out but then you'll start experimenting how far you can press them down before they register and you slowly get used to it. Now I never want to go back :P

Thanks for the comments. Just 1 follow-up on that then, on the second tap of the double tap, do you still get a click sound or feel the bump? Or do you need to let the key reset for that?

You don't get the clicking sound associated with blues, but you do get the sound of bottoming however much more feint than usual as its travelling less. 

I'm sure this topic has been covered before and a lot of the questions I have could be answered online but I have specific questions I'd like answered from people with experience with the keys.

With that in mind:

For those that have only used blue keys:

• Do you have to let the key rise all the way to the top before the next keypress is registered when double tapping? (eg, say double tapping for a game)

For those that have only used browns:

• What do you think of the bump? Is it noticeable? Mushy?

For those that have used both, in addition to the blue question:

• How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper.
  • Browns are apparently lighter - is the difference noticeable?
  • Are blues actually louder? From what I've read of the mechanisms they should all be about as loud when bottoming out. Of course the click is still there.

Also when commenting please state which switch type(s) you have experience with.

Thanks in advance! ^_^

I use browns and my bro uses blues so i think i can make a fair assessment.

Do you have to let the key rise all the way to the top before the next keypress is registered when double tapping? (eg, say double tapping for a game)?

No. Take the distance from the actuation point to the highest point of the key once it rises as 100%. I have to raise up by about 50% then the switch registers again. The same can be said for the blues.

• "How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper."
  • True. Much more satisfying typing on blues, although it can get annoying.
  •  
  • "What do you think of the bump? Is it noticeable? Mushy?"
  • With headphones on, even open ones NO. Even without headphones, without bottoming out it hardly noticeable (unless typing quickly and long, but then you get used to it). 10% mushy, i am not good at describing sounds.
  • "Browns are apparently lighter - is the difference noticeable?"
  • Only slightly, for me it is negligable.
  •  
  • "Are blues actually louder? From what I've read of the mechanisms they should all be about as loud when bottoming out. Of course the click is still there."
  • When they bottom out they are about same loud. On blues you have that click like you mentioned, therefore having a double sound if you bottom out which is annoying for me.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You don't get the clicking sound associated with blues, but you do get the sound of bottoming however much more feint than usual as its travelling less. 

What about the bump? Do you still feel that on the second tap?

I use browns and my bro uses blues so i think i can make a fair assessment.

Do you have to let the key rise all the way to the top before the next keypress is registered when double tapping? (eg, say double tapping for a game)?

No. Take the distance from the actuation point to the highest point of the key once it rises as 100%. I have to raise up by about 50% then the switch registers again. The same can be said for the blues.

• "How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper."
  •  
  • "What do you think of the bump? Is it noticeable? Mushy?"
  • With headphones on, even open ones NO. Even without headphones, without bottoming out it hardly noticeable (unless typing quickly and long, but then you get used to it). 10% mushy, i am not good at describing sounds.
  • "Browns are apparently lighter - is the difference noticeable?"
  • Only slightly, for me it is negligable.
  •  
  • "Are blues actually louder? From what I've read of the mechanisms they should all be about as loud when bottoming out. Of course the click is still there."
  • When they bottom out they are about same loud. On blues you have that click like you mentioned, therefore having a double sound if you bottom out which is annoying for me.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks very much for your comment. Just one thing I want to clarify on this bit:

• How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper."

What exactly is annoying?

What about the bump? Do you still feel that on the second tap?

Thanks very much for your comment. Just one thing I want to clarify on this bit:

• How does the bump compare? I've heard blues are crisper."

What exactly is annoying?

The "clickyness". It gets irritating after 10 or so mins of continuous typing (for me, may be different for other people).

It also irritates me when gaming because i use open headphones.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

The "clickyness". It gets irritating after 10 or so mins of continuous typing (for me, may be different for other people).

It also irritates me when gaming because i use open headphones.

Ah right okay. Thanks very much for your information.

cherrybluemx.png

cherrybrownmx.png

You don't have to let the key rise completely, but there is a slightly wider gap between actuation and reset with Blues compared to other common Cherry MX switches.

How would you define a bump's "crispness?" I'd say the Blue bump is more noticeable than the Brown.

I wouldn't say I could tell the difference in weight alone. I think their springs are the same, with felt weight attributed to their bump's resistance.

They're both as loud as you can make them. Both switches are designed to not be bottomed out. Bottoming out harshly is louder than the Blue's audible click feedback, so the Blue might have more volume of sound, but not louder.

I use browns, but I've tried blues, reds, and blacks as well. However I'm just gonna talk about the browns and blues here since that's what this thread is about.

In my opinion, if you haven't used any mechanical keyboards before, you probably won't notice the difference in the actuation force between blues and browns since they are both tactile and you can feel some sort of bump on both type of switches when you are pressing the key slowly. The thing that you'd probably notice right away is the clicky noise of the blues. However if you have been used to typing on either one of the switches, e.g. from browns moving onto blues, then you'll notice quite a difference in the actuation force especially when you are typing for a long period of time. Again, it's totally based on my experience, other people might say something different about it.

For gaming, don't worry about double-tapping on either of these switches because believe me, on paper it looks like blues need more force to actuate, but it's not that hard to actuate. Also by the time you have the keyboard, eventually you'll adapt. I have friends playing CS:GO, Dota 2, LoL, and Starcraft using the blues and they don't complain even when spamming keys for spells or switching weapons or whatever. One thing I must say though, if you're coming from using a 'low profile' membrane keyboards, then you'll have to be more deliberate on lifting your fingers. There is a bump somewhere in the upper middle of the switch where the key is registered, but in reality you'll probably end up lifting your finger all the way up anyway, so don't worry. Imagine you put your fingers on the keyboard without any force and then by the time you add a slight force to them, you'll feel a slight bump and register the keys. With the blues, you'll also hear the 'click'.

About the noise, all mechanical keyboards are loud IF you are bottoming out and not using o-rings dampener, and yes the blues is louder than browns even with o-rings installed because of that 'click'. Based on my experience, in an office situation, blues can be pretty annoying which is why I use browns (which is actually still quite loud when bottoming out), but me and my friends are now used to it, even 2 of them are now using green switches which I think is even louder than blues but I'm used to it now. In a dorm situation, your roommates nextdoor can probably still pick up the noise of the blues, so I think browns is more suitable. But sometimes, the stupid thing is, someone might have a 'silent' keyboard, but when he/she is shouting or rage quitting when gaming, it's kinda pointless, isn't it? I've been in that situation before, and it was kinda funny and frustrating at the same time.

If I might suggest you, get a mechanical switch tester kit or go to a local store and try out all of the mechanical switches available. You can't depend only on written reviews, you need to try them yourself. Between browns and blues, it only comes down to the noise tolerance of people around you, your typing environment, and whether you like the 'click' or not. I personally don't really like the 'click', but other people may find it satisfying.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

But sometimes, the stupid thing is, someone might have a 'silent' keyboard, but when he/she is shouting or rage quitting when gaming, it's kinda pointless, isn't it? I've been in that situation before, and it was kinda funny and frustrating at the same time.

If I might suggest you, get a mechanical switch tester kit or go to a local store and try out all of the mechanical switches available. You can't depend only on written reviews, you need to try them yourself. Between browns and blues, it only comes down to the noise tolerance of people around you, your typing environment, and whether you like the 'click' or not. I personally don't really like the 'click', but other people may find it satisfying.

It's still a different annoying....the constant clicking of the keys is...well, constant...Like chinese water torture (not that the two are even in the same realm, but the idea is still valid).

As for a switch tester/going to a store....I personally don't think that makes a big difference since it takes a bit of time to truly get a feel for things.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm a primarily blue user but I've used both.

You can double press with the second one not making a click if you click very accurately, otherwise the spring pushes you up to the top for the second click.

Blue click is higher pitched, and brown is lower pitched, so blues are just more "noticeable".

Browns have a slightly less satisfying bump.

cherrybluemx.png

cherrybrownmx.png

You don't have to let the key rise completely, but there is a slightly wider gap between actuation and reset with Blues compared to other common Cherry MX switches.

How would you define a bump's "crispness?" I'd say the Blue bump is more noticeable than the Brown.

I wouldn't say I could tell the difference in weight alone. I think their springs are the same, with felt weight attributed to their bump's resistance.

They're both as loud as you can make them. Both switches are designed to not be bottomed out. Bottoming out harshly is louder than the Blue's audible click feedback, so the Blue might have more volume of sound, but not louder.

It's still a different annoying....the constant clicking of the keys is...well, constant...Like chinese water torture (not that the two are even in the same realm, but the idea is still valid).

As for a switch tester/going to a store....I personally don't think that makes a big difference since it takes a bit of time to truly get a feel for things.

I'm a primarily blue user but I've used both.

You can double press with the second one not making a click if you click very accurately, otherwise the spring pushes you up to the top for the second click.

Blue click is higher pitched, and brown is lower pitched, so blues are just more "noticeable".

Browns have a slightly less satisfying bump.

Thanks very much for the comments.

I use browns, but I've tried blues, reds, and blacks as well. However I'm just gonna talk about the browns and blues here since that's what this thread is about.

In my opinion, if you haven't used any mechanical keyboards before, you probably won't notice the difference in the actuation force between blues and browns since they are both tactile and you can feel some sort of bump on both type of switches when you are pressing the key slowly. The thing that you'd probably notice right away is the clicky noise of the blues. However if you have been used to typing on either one of the switches, e.g. from browns moving onto blues, then you'll notice quite a difference in the actuation force especially when you are typing for a long period of time. Again, it's totally based on my experience, other people might say something different about it.

For gaming, don't worry about double-tapping on either of these switches because believe me, on paper it looks like blues need more force to actuate, but it's not that hard to actuate. Also by the time you have the keyboard, eventually you'll adapt. I have friends playing CS:GO, Dota 2, LoL, and Starcraft using the blues and they don't complain even when spamming keys for spells or switching weapons or whatever. One thing I must say though, if you're coming from using a 'low profile' membrane keyboards, then you'll have to be more deliberate on lifting your fingers. There is a bump somewhere in the upper middle of the switch where the key is registered, but in reality you'll probably end up lifting your finger all the way up anyway, so don't worry. Imagine you put your fingers on the keyboard without any force and then by the time you add a slight force to them, you'll feel a slight bump and register the keys. With the blues, you'll also hear the 'click'.

About the noise, all mechanical keyboards are loud IF you are bottoming out and not using o-rings dampener, and yes the blues is louder than browns even with o-rings installed because of that 'click'. Based on my experience, in an office situation, blues can be pretty annoying which is why I use browns (which is actually still quite loud when bottoming out), but me and my friends are now used to it, even 2 of them are now using green switches which I think is even louder than blues but I'm used to it now. In a dorm situation, your roommates nextdoor can probably still pick up the noise of the blues, so I think browns is more suitable. But sometimes, the stupid thing is, someone might have a 'silent' keyboard, but when he/she is shouting or rage quitting when gaming, it's kinda pointless, isn't it? I've been in that situation before, and it was kinda funny and frustrating at the same time.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK where finding stores where I can play around with boards (don't forget the board needs to be plugged in for me to know when the keypress would actually register) is extremely difficult, nevermind getting my hands on a tester (which again, my main point would be knowing when the keypress registers which is useless without a board). I managed to find one place but the only cherry switch board it had used reds (which I don't want) but it also had Razer's new Black Widow board which they use their own copy of blue switches on. So that's my only real life experience reference.

• 1 month later...

So I've been using a blue switch board for a month and last night I decided (while I can still make use of my return policy on Amazon) to check out a brown switch board.

Conclusion: I prefer brown switch because I find I'm less likely to bottom out since the bump itself requires less force, I can "wiggle" around the actuation point more easily for multiple strokes and I feel brown is closer to the top.

I feel the best way to differentiate the bump difference is that brown just sort of feels like it happens (like "oh, there was a bump there") whereas blue feels like I've very definitely gone through a bump.

I've been using blues for the past few years and no you don't have to wait for the key to come back to click it again. You can stay roughly half way pressed and spam it like that (which makes much less noise) but I find it more accurate to just fully depress it since it's hard to tell when the key registers without any feedback. I've used browns for a few hours and they're nice, the keyboard isn't louder than the game which helps. They don't feel as satisfying but still clicky enough IMO.

My advice. If you like the clicky sound and really knowing when you press the button then blues are for you. If you like the tactile response just not nearly as clicky as browns then browns are the ones for you. I have used both and personally like browns better.

-Zinqs [-] i7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz [-] 2x EVGA Gtx 980 SC [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] 16gb Dominator Platinum [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zinqs/saved/#savedbuild_1641021