Industry's Biggest Scaler Vendors Pledge Support for AMD's Project FreeSync

Will this be available for Nvidia GPUs as well? If not, I guess I'm gonna pass.

Yes. Supporting the new DisplayPort standard will allow them to use adaptive sync that these monitors will support.

To anyone that says that they wont -- they will be losing out on market share by not supporting every possible monitor. That's not something they'll do voluntarily.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Not at all because I was a console gamer back them (oh the shame). As for being brand new, it's almost a year old as far as I can tell (downloaded it when I built my AMD APU machine last year just before christmas) and it still has the exact same games supported, and just an ever increasing list of games that are "coming".

A year old is not that old. Game development takes years.

And it also took years for dx11 to gain significant adoption, for a long time most pc games were still dx9 (hell there's still a fair amount that are still dx9). And dx10 barely gained any adoption at all. IMO mantle adoption is actually pretty healthy so far, already two games supporting it (one of which is a major title), and a significant amount of upcoming titles.

Not at all because I was a console gamer back them (oh the shame). As for being brand new, it's almost a year old as far as I can tell (downloaded it when I built my AMD APU machine last year just before christmas) and it still has the exact same games supported, and just an ever increasing list of games that are "coming".

That would be because games take time to make, perhaps?

Will this be available for Nvidia GPUs as well? If not, I guess I'm gonna pass.

There is no legal or technical restriction preventing nVidia from implementing DisplayPort - AdaptiveSync on their graphics cards.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

i guess this isn't going to work with Nvidia video cards or?

#edit: someone was faster already nvm.

A year old is not that old. Game development takes years.

And it also took years for dx11 to gain significant adoption, for a long time most pc games were still dx9 (hell there's still a fair amount that are still dx9). And dx10 barely gained any adoption at all.

Either way, I see no point or advantage to mantle. I launch my games from steam, so what's the point of yet another program running in the background taking up resources?

It's as equally useless, regardless of support, as the Launch button in Geforce experience that I don't use. I've tried using it, doesn't change my game play in the least.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Either way, I see no point or advantage to mantle. I launch my games from steam, so what's the point of yet another program running in the background taking up resources?

It's as equally useless, regardless of support, as the Launch button in Geforce experience that I don't use. I've tried using it, doesn't change my game play in the least.

I don't think you understand what mantle is. Mantle has nothing to do with steam or launching games,  and its not 'another program running in the background'. Its a low level/low overhead graphics API that can significantly improve performance in cpu bottlenecked scenarios compared to dx11.

Are you confusing mantle with raptr/amd gaming evolved?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_%28API%29

Read that, then you'll know Mantle actually is (and what it isn't). Because right now, I can tell that you don't.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Depends if Nvidia adds support for it to their cards or not. The technology is royalty free VESA standard, wouldn't be difficult or costly for them to implement.

On one hand nvidia may find it advantageous to keep the market segmented and leverage gsync as another way to lock people into the nvidia platform, on the other hand if displayport adaptive sync manages to gain a lot of adoption (yet to be seen) nvidia could lose out on market share by not supporting it.

I hope nvidia decides to add support for it, this segmented market harms consumers. Having an adaptive sync solution that works on both platforms would be a godsend. No one wants to be locked down to one brand based on what monitor they own.

Yes. Supporting the new DisplayPort standard will allow them to use adaptive sync that these monitors will support.

To anyone that says that they wont -- they will be losing out on market share by not supporting every possible monitor. That's not something they'll do voluntarily.

That would be because games take time to make, perhaps?

There is no legal or technical restriction preventing nVidia from implementing DisplayPort - AdaptiveSync on their graphics cards.

Sweet. I guess it's fingers crossed then? Not that I'm too optimistic about it, since they have Gsync, but maybe they'll support both.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Q1 next year? well i was about a month from buying a 144Hz monitor, but if adaptive sync is that close ill just wait, my 1080p & 900p displays will due for now.

guess ill just send that money back into project pure digital, that makes it that much closer! (kinda like Linus's room water-cooling loop thing)

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Well, Nvidias needs to drop the Gsync scalers and add support for Active sync.

AMD really towed the line with this technology, In a way better way then Gsync and proprietary technology.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Where does ULMB fit into this? Will we see something similar on FreeSync monitors?

One of the great things about G-Sync 120+hz monitors is that it also comes with ULMB which is what you actually use once you hit the refresh cap.

And I guess this proves the guys on the forum who were bashing Mantle for only working up to 60 FPS (144Hz ftw) And ofc, it can't acheive 60 fps on insane resolution (but you wont even have the hardware to do that right now so not a problem)

Im holding off buying a new monitor and gpu (rocking a 6670 lol) for this.

Is this kinda like "mantle support is coming!" with all those games that have "confirmed" mantle support?

people don't do shit for free, most companies don't either

it takes 3-4 years to make a game so mantle is coming soon. and freesync will sell more monitors. people with compatible GPU may upgrade there monitors because of it, so that's why they will make it. also those scalers specs are really good, so they should be in high res monitors too.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

it takes 3-4 years to make a game so mantle is coming soon. and freesync will sell more monitors. people with compatible GPU may upgrade there monitors because of it, so that's why they will make it. also those scalers specs are really good, so they should be in high res monitors too.

And? I still don't care. Neither one exists at this moment in time. (freesync or Mantle support for more than 3 or 4 games, 3 of which I don't play, and 1 of which I refuse to play ever again)

And? I still don't care. Neither one exists at this moment in time. (freesync or Mantle support for more than 3 or 4 games, 3 of which I don't play, and 1 of which I refuse to play ever again)

its like seeing a teaser trailer for a movie and getting mad that its not out next week.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

its like seeing a teaser trailer for a move and getting mad that its not out next week.

Except that it never comes out, because people don't do shit for free, and there never was a teaser, just something called mantle.

mantle is already present in several games, just because you don't like said games does not mean it doesn't exist. You are being ridiculous. There are also already plenty of upcoming games with confirmed support. game development takes time.

Except that it never comes out, because people don't do shit for free, and there never was a teaser, just something called mantle.

You aren't even making any sense, and in previous posts you already made it very clear that you don't even have any clue what mantle is, perhaps you should just stop posting nonsense now.

You aren't even making any sense, and in previous posts you already made it very clear that you don't even have any clue what mantle is, perhaps you should just stop posting nonsense now.

Perhaps you should be aware that I honestly don't care. Linus didn't host a 24 hour stream for AMD's big reveal for the 285 which is somehow weaker than the 280.... so again. I don't care.

Linus didn't host a 24 hour stream for AMD's big reveal for the 285 which is somehow weaker than the 280.... so again. I don't care.

wtf are you even talking about?

do you even try to make any sense, or are you just trolling?

Its fine if you don't care, just don't go around posting ridiculous nonsense!

It is "free" because there is no licensing cost to the monitor manufacturer or the scalar manufacturer to implement support. Nobody said that it would cost nothing for the consumer. Stop being silly.

There were so many AMD fanboys on /r/PCmasterrace who though Nvidia is ripping them off because they need to buy a new monitor to get this new technology, I wonder how butthurt are they now that they know they will have to purchase a new monitor to have this new technology.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

There were so many AMD fanboys on /r/PCmasterrace who though Nvidia is ripping them off because they need to buy a new monitor to get this new technology, I wonder how butthurt are they now that they know they will have to purchase a new monitor to have this new technology.

Nvidia are ripping them off, by charging a very high price for an over complicated proprietary display controller, that cannot do more than a standard Adaptive Sync controller, that only costs 10-20$ more than a standard one. New tech requires new hardware; that should not come as a surprise to anyone. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Nvidia are ripping them off, by charging a very high price for an over complicated proprietary display controller, that cannot do more than a standard Adaptive Sync controller, that only costs 10-20$ more than a standard one. New tech requires new hardware; that should not come as a surprise to anyone. 

Except the fact we know that G-sync works, while we have absolutely no proof A-Sync does or is anywhere close to it.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3