Different card company performance?

JustJoan

Is there a difference between different card companies? For example the R9 280x, there are GIGABYTE, MSI, XFX, Sapphire, and a bunch others that make this card. Is there any difference in perfomance/structure? Or is it just different companies and different decorations? Because (I'm not buying this card, very expensive to me.) looking at the different card companies, they're really ugly to me. I like Radeon's decoration. Simple rectangle with the red spiral stripes.

If they're reference, then no. Non reference are usually factory overclocked.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Reference cards don't have good cooling so no, so could be factory overclocked with better coolers, if your buying a Radeon gpu, then avoid Asus because of their VRAM issue.

Is there a difference between different card companies? For example the R9 280x, there are GIGABYTE, MSI, XFX, Sapphire, and a bunch others that make this card. Is there any difference in perfomance/structure? Or is it just different companies and different decorations? Because (I'm not buying this card, very expensive to me.) looking at the different card companies, they're really ugly to me. I like Radeon's decoration. Simple rectangle with the red spiral stripes.

there are sometimes differences in performance, but most of the time they are pretty small.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Shot at the dark, is reference like "original design"? Also, if I use an overclocked video card with a processor that's not overclocked, what will happen? Will it run fine? Or will it blow up in my face (Not literally, or at least I hope not literally.)?

Shot at the dark, is reference like "original design"? Also, if I use an overclocked video card with a processor that's not overclocked, what will happen? Will it run fine? Or will it blow up in my face (Not literally, or at least I hope not literally.)?

Yeah, reference means OEM (original equipment manufacturer) design. Running an overclocked card with a cpu running at stock is just fine. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Well the performance is exactly the same at the same clockrate. Different makers may clock their cards higher or even lower. Depending on the cooling solution, you can push certain cards further via overclocking than others. 

One of the main differences besides clokcrate and cooling solution is reliability, especially non-reference cards. They have the potential to be better or worse compared to their competitors. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

There's three basic types of GPU's that you have to know:

Reference: the card comes with the basic blower style cooler and a bog standard PCB with no modifications to the original design (Nvidia sells some "made by Nvidia" cards and almost all card manufacturers only have reference cards at the card's launch)

Custom Cooler: the company puts a custom cooler on it and leaves the PCB alone, these often perform better due to better cooling (EVGA ACX, MSI Gaming, etc)

Non-Reference: the company completely changes the design of both the cooler and the PCB, often lengthening the card and adding more reliable parts (ASUS DCII cards)

And to answer your second question, nothing's gonna happen.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The reference "blower" cards are noisy and are basic performers. The non-reference have wild cooling systems. All are effective but some are more quiet than others. Sapphire has a real rep for quiet.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

A little. I mean it looks okay, but it's a bit plain and ordinary.

There's three basic types of GPU's that you have to know:

Reference: the card comes with the basic blower style cooler and a bog standard PCB with no modifications to the original design (Nvidia sells some "made by Nvidia" cards and almost all card manufacturers only have reference cards at the card's launch)

Custom Cooler: the company puts a custom cooler on it and leaves the PCB alone, these often perform better due to better cooling (EVGA ACX, MSI Gaming, etc)

Non-Reference: the company completely changes the design of both the cooler and the PCB, often lengthening the card and adding more reliable parts (ASUS DCII cards)

And to answer your second question, nothing's gonna happen.

So, non-reference is the most preferred for efficiency? Is Sapphire one? They look like sports cars in the video card world.