Linux on PS3

shayned1997

I have one of my Fat original 1st gen ps3's that has a gpu problem and when it runs newer games like Far Cry3, GTA5, Tomb Raider,ect it gets real bad bright artifacts all over the screen and gives me a real bad headache. So im just going to instal Linux on it but i cant find a working link to get the file. Can anyone help me out with getting a working file? or maybe even a way to fix my ps3? tried using different thermal paste (arctic Silver) and that didnt help. Thanks

What firmware version is your PS3? Sony disabled Linux support quite early on.

It sounds like your console will soon get the YLOD.

You won't be able to use Linux on it if your playstation was update past a certain point as Sony disabled the feature due to security concerns early on. Besides, if there's a hardware problem running Linux on it won't fix that.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

What firmware version is your PS3? Sony disabled Linux support quite early on.

It sounds like your console will soon get the YLOD.

You won't be able to use Linux on it if your playstation was update past a certain point as Sony disabled the feature due to security concerns early on. Besides, if there's a hardware problem running Linux on it won't fix that.

i know running linux wouldnt fix it but at least i could use it like a media pc for basic stuff and not have a huge paperweight.

I know that on xbox 360's, you could replace the thermal paste and fix the red ring of death... Maybe that's the same case on the PS3's?

replaced it already

Then maybe stick it in the oven at 400*F for 10 min, then let it cool down and a reflow would fix it? I've never had a PS3 so I won't be of much help here past a certain point...

and @shayned1997  do this or the oven trick?

Then maybe stick it in the oven at 400*F for 10 min, then let it cool down and a reflow would fix it? I've never had a PS3 so I won't be of much help here past a certain point...

i saw that only. scares me a little bit lol. Parts dont belong in the oven

Do a bake reflow on it. No heatgun crap it'l just break again. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

anyway i can downgrade or completely return the ps3 like i just got it out of the box

anyway i can downgrade or completely return the ps3 like i just got it out of the box

only with a nand/nor dump. Too tricky. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That's kinda your only option that's easy. Resoldering has a much higher requirement (special tools and such).

That's the problem with the old PS3's. They are categorized as electronic toys, so they can't have lead based solder in them. Unfortunately, that's the good solder, so they have crappy solder. Over time, from heating and re-heating, the solder wears out, and that's usually what causes a PS3's YLOD to happen, especially when they are older.

Reflowing is your only real option that's easy, as I said. It's better to replace the solder, but that's hard.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Look, I just fixed one of my MXM cards in my crossfire laptop with a reflow last week and took pics. I'm uploading them soon with some talk and tips about reflowing, read that when it's up and see how you feel after that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

That's kinda your only option that's easy. Resoldering has a much higher requirement (special tools and such).

That's the problem with the old PS3's. They are categorized as electronic toys, so they can't have lead based solder in them. Unfortunately, that's the good solder, so they have crappy solder. Over time, from heating and re-heating, the solder wears out, and that's usually what causes a PS3's YLOD to happen, especially when they are older.

Reflowing is your only real option that's easy, as I said. It's better to replace the solder, but that's hard.

thank you for the help :) if i decided not to fix it is there anyway to downgrade the firmware like it just came out of the box so i can put linux on it

That's the problem with the old PS3's. They are categorized as electronic toys, so they can't have lead based solder in them.

Interesting, I knew about the lead free solder but I didn't know the actual reason for that.

I know that on xbox 360's, you could replace the thermal paste and fix the red ring of death... Maybe that's the same case on the PS3's?

With both consoles it is a chip becoming de-soldered from the motherboard.

That's only the case with ones that overheat then redring by overheating, not purely redringed ones. Those need a reflow. 

muh specs 

All parts black