Unusually High Temperatures 4790k + NH-D14 (Need Help)

So I just completed my PC build today and I'm in the process of updating drivers, bios, and installing programs.

One of the programs I installed was Aida64 as I wanted to see what temperatures I would be getting with my setup.

I ran only the FPU test and here were the stats.

CORE1: Min 31 Max 91

CORE2: Min 31 Max 93

CORE3: Min 28 Max 90

CORE4: Min 29 Max 84

My CPU is completely stock although I did set my XMP profile to #1 which should have only clocked my memory to 1600mhz.

I do have a pretty small case (Bitfenix Phenom M) with 2 Noctua NF-F12s from the top intaking air and a Noctua NF-A14 for an exhaust. These temperatures still seem extremely high and I'm wondering if I need to reseat the cooler and try the dot method instead of the line for thermal paste.

Likely that the air isn't escaping quick enough.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

that, and maybe too little thermal paste?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Is the cooler seated properly? 

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

If u want to test this feel your case while running the test. If it's hot then this is true. If it's not then the cooler isn't seated properly 

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

Linus's "ultimate sli build" had 2 780tis had only 1 120mm fan from the bottom intaking air and he is getting temperatures of 90c with Prime95.

Shouldn't I be getting better temps since I have no graphics card along with 2 NF-F12s and the D-14 being superior to the BeQuiet?

I didn't benchmark long enough for the case to get hot (only about 5 min) as 90c was a bit overwhelming at stock speeds. I did accidentally put a bit more thermal compound than I would have since the compound released faster than expected.

Also I lifted up the CPU cooler after it touched a little bit of the compound so that may have introduced air pockets?

I didn't benchmark long enough for the case to get hot (only about 5 min) as 90c was a bit overwhelming at stock speeds. I did accidentally put a bit more thermal compound than I would have since the compound released faster than expected.

Also I lifted up the CPU cooler after it touched a little bit of the compound so that may have introduced air pockets?

Too much thermal paste can do the exact opposite of its intended purpose, so there's a clue. Try reapplying it and use only the amount the size of a grain of rice. I know Linus says uncooked grain of rice, but I really think that's too little. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Too much thermal paste can do the exact opposite of its intended purpose, so there's a clue. Try reapplying it and use only the amount the size of a grain of rice. I know Linus says uncooked grain of rice, but I really think that's too little. 

Alright I will reseat the heatsink and this time will try the dot method of a grain of rice.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? 90% alcohol and a coffee filter?

Alright I will reseat the heatsink and this time will try the dot method of a grain of rice.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? 90% alcohol and a coffee filter?

90% is great and a coffee filter will work. Toilet paper is another great one. 

I'd reseat the cooler.  You should be getting better temps than that.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Alright so I reseated the cooler and tried the dot method and these are my new temps.

CORE1 min 33 max 90

CORE2 min 35 max 92

CORE3 min30 max 89

CORE4 min32 max 84 

The results are near identical. Do I just have a really bad chip? :/

So I redid the Aida64 stress test but this time I did the CPU stress rather than the FPU stress and these were my temperatures

CORE1 max 58

CORE2 max 61

CORE3 max 57

CORE4 max 53

Each core under 100% load. So which stress am I supposed to base my overclocks on? CPU stress? or the FPU stress?

So I did a Prime95 blend test while I was asleep and my CPU hit 100c! Yikes! Will my CPU be damaged? The CPU would throttle itself or shut down to prevent damage, right?

It seems to me that floating point stress testers really put some stress on my CPU. When overclocking, should small FFTs on P95 and FPU Stress on Aida64 even be used? 

I tried OCCT today and I got some fairly good temperatures.

Each core was around 68c.

By the way my CPU is turbo'ing to 4.4ghz at like 1.162v. Are these good temperature and will I have headroom to overclock?

Could anyone clarify which programs/tests I should base my overclocking on?

Using Prime95 small FFT or Aida64 FPU stress tests my CPU will hit 100c.

Using Aida64 CPU stress or OCCT my CPU will hit ~70c.

So if I base my overclock on floating point tests I have no room for overclock but with regular stress tests I have a little bit of wiggle room.

Prime 95 and Aida 64 both stress AVX. Wich would explain the massive temps. With occt AVX isn't enabled by default. You should be ok if your temps in occt look good.