PC powers up for split second and the fans stop.

TheCrach
Go to solution Solved by Krzyimprt,

get a Celeron G540 update the bios then return it. OR if you're lucky you may have a friend with a sandy bridge 1155 cpu that would be kind enough for you to borrow.

lol thanks Nerd, I guess I could try the clock/timer. What exactly do I need to do to fix it. As I said in a previous post I've tried each memory module in each slot but nothing.

I tried holding the MemOK and it does the usual process where it powers down then up and the LED flashes faster. It eventually stops and the LED stays solid red.

I think it's ether the motherboard or the memory, Does anyone know how I can check if these are working without having to buy anything extra. I don't really want to buy more memory or motherboard in case it's not.

Was this a combo you bought off ebay? They don't even sell z68 boards anymore. Considering the motherboard still turns on that indicates you didn't fry it. You need to update your bios for it to recognize the 3770. You could always get a Celeron G540 update the bios then return it. :lol:

fe341bdec9.png

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Was this a combo you bought off ebay? They don't even sell z68 boards anymore. Considering the motherboard still turns on that indicates you didn't fry it. You need to update your bios for it to recognize the 3770.

fe341bdec9.png

Thanks I guess that makes sense and yes I got it from ebay. So i take it te only way I can update my bios is to get another cpu.

get a Celeron G540 update the bios then return it. OR if you're lucky you may have a friend with a sandy bridge 1155 cpu that would be kind enough for you to borrow.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

What about the 530 instead lol.

Yep, any 1155 SB cpu should be able to boot so you can update the bios.

Yep, any 1155 SB cpu should be able to boot so you can update the bios.

ok thanks, what makes you so sure the bios need updating, it's the memok led that's on what has that got to do with the bios.

ok thanks, what makes you so sure the bios need updating, it's the memok led that's on what has that got to do with the bios.

Reseat the ram , power on and when the MemOK button is solid red hold the button for 3 seconds and release once it's flashing again.

Reseat the ram , power on and when the MemOK button is solid red hold the button for 3 seconds and release once it's flashing again.

Already tried that, It just flashes faster powers up again and gets even faster. It eventually stops and it stays solid red.

Here is another video showing that, I've just noticed another LED it says CPU LED but it turns off so I don't think it's anything.

Already tried that, It just flashes faster powers up again and gets even faster. It eventually stops and it stays solid red.

Here is another video showing that, I've just noticed another LED it says CPU LED but it turns off so I don't think it's anything.

Did the ebay listing say it posted? or was it sold as is? I'm 99% sure the bios needs to be updated..

Sold as is, I'll order that cpu and then I can just return it. I'll be back if updating the bios doesn't work.

Thanks again btw all you guys have been a great help.

Can I use the on board graphics or will I need to wait until my graphics card arrives when updating the bios using Celeron G530.

Can I use the on board graphics or will I need to wait until my graphics card arrives when updating the bios using Celeron G530.

nope it has igpu so you dont need to worry about that 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Hi everyone, It worked out great, I ordered the Celeron G530 and installed it which allowed my to get to the bios, I had the latest bios file on an external drive and updated it using EZ flash 2. The update went fine and I installed the i7 and my pc is running great, I just need to run memtest86 and prime95.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Hi everyone, It worked out great, I ordered the Celeron G530 and installed it which allowed my to get to the bios, I had the latest bios file on an external drive and updated it using EZ flash 2. The update went fine and I installed the i7 and my pc is running great, I just need to run memtest86 and prime95.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Glad to see your system is now up and running. :)