Biggest gripes with laptops

Boink

What are some of your biggest gripes with laptop design? I'll start with mine:

1. Cooling usually sucks, with small fans and even smaller heatsinks

2. Going off of number 1, the intake vents are usually on the bottom where they will be blocked by a poorly positioned leg or when the laptop is used on a bed/

3. The speakers, the sound quality and volume are almost always terrible. 

What are yours? 

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

The price to performance ratio....

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Small screen... I like big 24 inch-27inch displays a lot and when I stare at a laptop screen I have to squint a lot

Life.exe is missing

The audio on my y410p is amazing.

Thicker laptops have decent cooling so i assume you are talking about slim profile laptops.

Biggest gripe would be price to performance but now days it isn't that bad compared to desktops. :)

Mine would be hidden screws. Half an hour lost figuring out why the heck the piece isn't coming out. just to find that ONE screw. SCREW IT ARGHH.

I really hated how after years on all VAIOs the audio jack was on the left side. Then just MY new model has it on the right. I freaking spend like one minute trying to plug in my headphones.

But out of all the issues with laptops, I can't survive without one. I was laptop less for a month and it was hell. First World Problems.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The keyboard, the heat they give off, their lack in power, the small screen size, the fact that I can't justify it's portability enough to buy one. Those are mine.

I also have a Lenovo y410p, and I got it maxed out on sale for about $850 (at the time 40% off) and it's amazing.  The great graphical performance, audio, and multitasking all impressed me.  

Biggest gripe would have to be the multilingual keyboard that was not shown on the website, so in essence having a good keyboard.

One of the things I find most limiting on a laptop though in terms of form factor is the screen size, but when I'm at home I hook it up to a monitor and keyboard to fix that. Until I build my desktop that is.

Other things would have to be the battery life.  It'll be awesome when one day you can have a laptop with dedicated graphics that can last 8+ hours.  

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

tn panels and dvd drives in them

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

BIOS locked to hell.

Heat Exhaust pointing down into some surface that pretty much blocks outflows.

Servicing laptops is waaay too time consuming and frustrating.

Integrated obsolete GPUs

Somewhat along the same lines, I hate docks for laptops. They all suck, and are really just port replicators.

Bad cooling, which results in unoverclockability and not being able to switch out components like how I can a desktop

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

the value for gaming is bad,i can build a 600$ gaming pc but a 600$ gaming laptop will be shit

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Bad cooling, which results in unoverclockability and not being able to switch out components like how I can a desktop

Most M, Y, U, and H CPUs are locked. Most BIOS's also are locked. 

So that would be the first issues. Don't ever expect to overclock a laptop. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I really really hate designs that cut away at the case to make it look more low-profile and thinner than it really is. Like, every time I see a laptop that does that, it turns me off from it. I consider it a design flaw (I know it's really not). 

1. As mentioned price to performance ratio.

2. The depreciation. (like most things these days tho)

3. Poor quality screens.

4. Upgradabilty.

5. Battery life.

6. I personally cant stand to use them, hate the mouse pads. (but im getting oldand I've always owned desktops and used desktops where ever possible).

7. And again for good measure points 1 and 2.

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

I own a Thinkpad X230. It's perfect for what I need: decent hardware, long battery life (I can push it to nearly 20 hours with all of the battery upgrades, but my current setup is at 12 hours without the slice - I use the slice for emergencies because it adds a bit of bulk), super-light (under 3 lbs, but goes up to 3.8lbs with my current config). Excellent keyboard, runs Linux like a dream. If I were to have a gripe, it would be the screen. Lenovo discontinued the laptop just as I wanted to order the IPS screen option, and I was forced to buy it from a retailer. Also, resolution, but that's not a big deal for a 12.5" laptop. Thinkpads are also amazing for the trackpoint - beats using a mouse by a long shot, as I never have to take my fingers off the keyboard. 

My ideal perfect device: Thinkpad Yoga. The screen flip is outstanding, and I do like the digitizer capabilities. Wasn't able to buy it because it was just being introduced at the time.

I don't use a laptop for gaming. Or video editing, or anything that laptops aren't really made for (besides overpriced devices built specifically for it). 

Eventually, mobile hardware will catch up to desktop hardware in terms of performance, so when that happens, laptops would be the de-facto standard. Particularly convertibles with digitizer pens - those were extremely versatile. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

They brake after months of usage.

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

1: Few manufacturer websites allow you to customize your own laptop.

2: Most come with hard drives

3: I prefer to have solid buttons to click on the trackpad but it seems they are going away from that.

4: Battery life sucks

5: The ones that perform well generally weigh a ton and cost a ton

6: I hate touch screens. I'd be more willing to try windows 8 if most new laptops didn't have a touch screen. Yes, I know i don't have to use it but just don't like it.

They don't have mechanical switches.

They generally don't last as long.

They cost too damn much.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Small screen... I like big 24 inch-27inch displays a lot and when I stare at a laptop screen I have to squint a lot

Would you r really want to carry around a 24-27in laptop? And would that even for in your lap?

Sometimes too heavy or too big to carry around.

Then you bought the wrong laptop.

Mine would be hidden screws. Half an hour lost figuring out why the heck the piece isn't coming out. just to find that ONE screw. SCREW IT ARGHH.

This is why you download the matinence manual. Some companies like HP even have videos on their own site.

tn panels and dvd drives in them

Newer one can have IPS especially ultrabooks. Get one without a DVD drive then? Many of them don't have them. There is also a good number that have BD drives if that's what your looking for.

Somewhat along the same lines, I hate docks for laptops. They all suck, and are really just port replicators.

I don't get how docks for a laptop are a bad thing. I love mine I just slap it in and get instant access to multiple screens, proper keyboard and mouse, and many other external devices. Then I can just pick up where I left off. Once they can have thunderbolt GPUs I'll upgrade to an ultrabooks with just integrated gfx.

Heat and power are the main issues with anything that confined so its expected. In most laptops you can swap out just about everything except what the motherboard and maybe the dedicated GPU.

They brake after months of usage.

Not when you get a proper one like below. My T420 has now gone through 3 years a daily use with no real problems. I've also upgraded as far as I can without dropping a quad core into it.

I own a Thinkpad X230. It's perfect for what I need: decent hardware, long battery life (I can push it to nearly 20 hours with all of the battery upgrades, but my current setup is at 12 hours without the slice - I use the slice for emergencies because it adds a bit of bulk), super-light (under 3 lbs, but goes up to 3.8lbs with my current config). Excellent keyboard, runs Linux like a dream. If I were to have a gripe, it would be the screen. Lenovo discontinued the laptop just as I wanted to order the IPS screen option, and I was forced to buy it from a retailer. Also, resolution, but that's not a big deal for a 12.5" laptop. Thinkpads are also amazing for the trackpoint - beats using a mouse by a long shot, as I never have to take my fingers off the keyboard.

My ideal perfect device: Thinkpad Yoga. The screen flip is outstanding, and I do like the digitizer capabilities. Wasn't able to buy it because it was just being introduced at the time.

I don't use a laptop for gaming. Or video editing, or anything that laptops aren't really made for (besides overpriced devices built specifically for it).

Eventually, mobile hardware will catch up to desktop hardware in terms of performance, so when that happens, laptops would be the de-facto standard. Particularly convertibles with digitizer pens - those were extremely versatile.