Biggest gripes with laptops

Boink

I suppose one of the gripes I have is when certain manufacturers use brushed aluminum, but not anodized brushed aluminum so you get hard-to-remove fingerprints. =X

It is a problem for students, as a laptop isn't the only thing in a backpack. Add a textbook, and it'll start to cause serious discomfort. Add a couple of notebooks and any extra things you may need during the day and you can easily push 20lbs on your shoulders - which will be painful after a couple of hours. If a 5lb laptop was the ONLY thing in a backpack, then I would agree, but that's rarely the case. 

I've carried around a 5lb laptop by hand when I didn't have time to put it into my backpack. 15-20 minutes of that started to hurt, even for someone like me with decent arm/upper body strength. 

"Desktop replacement laptops" aren't made for mobility. Frankly, it's appalling that they're even called laptops. Yours is supposedly 9.26lbs, which is pretty hefty for lugging around in a backpack. 

Laptops are meant for mobility. Anything above 4lbs starts to limit a laptop's mobility, and anything over 7lbs is just silly. 

Laptops with good hardware can be built for around 3lbs. They're not the highest end mobile chips, but even a power user won't need the performance of an enthusiast chip. The mainstream/performance chips are adequate for majority of laptop users from consumers to power users. Gamers and enthusiasts are niche markets, and that's a fact despite there being "lots of them". 

20 pounds made your shoulders hurt? Maybe your backpack has poor padding on the straps? O_o

I have a laptop that with the adapter is close to 10 pounds, which I have no trouble with when I travel. Then again, I'm not a student, so I just want something I can throw in my bag to use in hotel rooms/waiting at the airport. 

Small screen... I like big 24 inch-27inch displays a lot and when I stare at a laptop screen I have to squint a lot

I don't think you'd find a 24" laptop practical. :)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

1. Paying way more than you should, for a form factor that gives the product an extremely limited lifespan compared to desktops.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

they can't run crysis on 4k max settings

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

20 pounds made your shoulders hurt? Maybe your backpack has poor padding on the straps? O_o

Padding was fine, but you have to realize that it's 20 lbs on my shoulders for the entire school day, which is usually 7-8 hours, half of that time is spent carrying around the backpack on my shoulders. Most days, it's more than 20 lbs too. 

And I did say "after a couple of hours". 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

This is why you download the matinence manual. Some companies like HP even have videos on their own site.

Where's the fun in that? I wasn't looking at an important notebook.

Anyway, once recently I had to use a manitence manual for a Lenovo, that manual lacked instructions it never said that there was a tab, it just marked the screw, and well that sucked.

Crappy, CRAPPY keyboards. I hate chicklet style keys. I shoved my g710+ in my bag to take notes. I really wish someone would make a shortish throw mech keyboard replacement for laptops. 

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

The screens on most laptops. They are hideous. Combining the facts that they are usually the cheapest tn panels and that your face is really close to the screen, the color shift is really annoying. Like, even from a stationary point, the top and bottom of the screen has high color shift and when you adjust the screen to see the top or bottom well, the other side becomes unreadable.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake