Very Low FPS on Metro Last Light on High settings (SOLVED)

CyanOG
Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

Disable PhysX

Metro 2033 is worse... very unoptimized. Metro Last Light isn't too bad on my system. I can run it at maximum settings with PhysX and without SSAA enabled at 1440p. I haven't tried out 2033 with my 780 ti.

Nice; if 2033 is worse and I get those kinda frames, I'll tear through last light.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

First time playing the game and im getting 5-30 fps .. vsync is off and im really suprised i have a fx-8320 and r9 280 clocked at stock 980MHz and fans up to 70% the gpu is 60-75 when i play... so whats up im not having these problems playing games like sleeping dogs

is that s AA they use (is like the s physx) <_<

disable that also friend

Nice; if 2033 is worse and I get those kinda frames, I'll tear through last light.

Mmmm, I think you guys have it backwards.  Metro:Last Light is a hell of a lot more demanding than 2033.  2033 I had zero issues turning every setting to the absolute max with a single 780.  Last Light, I have to turn some settings down, and even then, I'm still only getting ~45fps.  Which is still playable, but worth mentioning.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i run Metro LL on my 7850 with my old Phenom II x4 945 that run at 3400mhz (i oc him a bit also)

and run perfect B) (like i say, just disable that s nvidia AA and physx)

by the way, is a great game friend ^_^

I was about to say I thought the Metro series tried to force PhysX on the CPU with an AMD card.

There has been no CPU support for Physx since 2009. Metro should be disabling Physx by default if you have an AMD GPU. Hence why you should not need to disable it because it should not be enabled in the first place. That's a bad move on 4A's part.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

There has been no CPU support for Physx since 2009. Metro should be disabling Physx by default if you have an AMD GPU. Hence why you should not need to disable it because it should not be enabled in the first place. That's a bad move on 4A's part.

I agree; it's stupid. Like most other nVidia benefits, it should simply be absent from the menu if a nVidia card is not detected as the primary running device; similar to how AMD users never see CSAA or TXAA options in games like Watch Dogs/Black Ops 2/Crysis 3. Don't see why they could not do this with PhysX.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Mmmm, I think you guys have it backwards.  Metro:Last Light is a hell of a lot more demanding than 2033.  2033 I had zero issues turning every setting to the absolute max with a single 780.  Last Light, I have to turn some settings down, and even then, I'm still only getting ~45fps.  Which is still playable, but worth mentioning.

What resolution and what settings did you need to turn down? I don't mind avoiding 3D if I must (or sacrificing some AA for it) but you should be at near max with that 780, no? Is it OC'd?

What resolution and what settings did you need to turn down? I don't mind avoiding 3D if I must (or sacrificing some AA for it) but you should be at near max with that 780, no? Is it OC'd?

1080p, and everything is set to max, except SSAA is set to 2x instead of 4x.  PhysX is enabled.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I didn't disable physx, I just updated it and boosted my fps a lot

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Your CPU isn't good enough. You need an i7 for that game, it's very unoptimized.

My I5 has played everygame i can find to stress it on max and it still  coming back for more

1080p, and everything is set to max, except SSAA is set to 2x instead of 4x.  PhysX is enabled.

2x SSAA is a little more like 2.25x... that's what Sniper Elite and stuff list SSAA as; either 2.25x or 4x (4k res from 1080p base). If that's the case, you're downsampling from 2880 x 1620. 

4665600 = 2880 * 1620

2073600 = 1920 * 1080

4665600/2073600 = 2.25x. So yeah, it's no wonder your single 780 wouldn't chew through that. Metro 2033 doesn't have SSAA that I know of; so that's probably why you think it runs better. I probably wouldn't be using SSAA on such a demanding game with 780Ms, especially not if I'm playing in 3D.

well austin evans benchmarked older GPUs and got smooth results in his budget builds...

youre telling me i cant run metro last light simply on high on a $750 custom gaming pc.. im done :(

Yeah a budget PC is not going to cut it for games like metro at high settings, try low settings.

Yeah a budget PC is not going to cut it for games like metro at high settings, try low settings.

I need to find the solved button lol.,.

it runs now on normal 100-140fps 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

MLL runs fine on Ultra with low AA on an HD 7850.

I need to find the solved button lol.,.

it runs now on normal 100-140fps 

hover over someone's post; should have a "mark as solved" button near the like/quote/etc buttons?

He should be fine on high, or even very high. My system isn't that much different from a CPU standpoint, and my GPU is better, but not the difference between maxed and low better.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC