Windows 8 slowing down?

frize86

Hi guys!

So i have my OS for a while now, and i noticed a couple of days ago that if i restart my PC, it gets some really slow boot.

Whereas if i shut it down and just turn it on again, the boot is really fast (as it should be)... what thaa..??

Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks ;)

I may be wrong with this but I believe Windows 8 doesn't actually do a complete shut down but more of a hibernation that is why it boots up faster than Windows 7. The restart dumps the memory that is why it takes longer to boot.

It was fast booting in both ways till a couple of days ago...

I C some ppl having the same issue, might be some update related

Gonna get back with win 7 i guess... this w8 is crap

Yes, go back to DOS! That will solve everything,

No program on any of my systems.

On serious note:

What is your system specs, and how much Windows takes time to boot (exclude BIOS boot up process), when you do a shutdown, and when you do a restart?

What is your startup programs?

Yes, go back to DOS! That will solve everything,

No program on any of my systems.

On serious note:

What is your system specs, and how much Windows takes time to boot (exclude BIOS boot up process), when you do a shutdown, and when you do a restart?

What is your startup programs?

LOL why u so sad?

On serious note:

FX6300, GTX660, 8gb of ram, 500gb HDD, etc.. i dont think my HW is the issue

it was a crappy update, there are lots of ppl complaining all over the internet.

Windows 8 is nothing but a second windows vista.

Restart takes longer than a cold boot.

cold boot idk, around 8-10 seconds

restart, more than half a minute...

My "msconfig" is pretty clean. i have quite a clean boot.

Thanks

Ok, sounds like a driver or service is the problem.

Turn on from shutdown state, your time, is normal. Restart is the problem.

When you do a shutdown, as previously explain, Windows 8 does a partial hibernation. It hibernates what doesn't change: drivers, services, and some system files.

If you had Windows 7, you'll be complaining on why Windows take forever to start up (more than half a minute anytime).

Here is what I would do:

-> Remove your Anti-Virus. This is the main thing that makes your Windows boot super slow as many LOVES doing a core system file virus scan before Windows boot, every single time. Same for some defrag software, so remove that as well.

If the above doesn't help:

-> Look at your services, and see what not part of Microsoft, and UNINSTALL the program related to that service (don't disable the service), and see if your problem is solved.

-> If your problem is not solved, unplug all USB peripheral from your system, and extra sound (sound card, Tv Tuner, printer, USB drive, controller, USB hub, etc... everything, except keyboard and mouse).

-> If your problem is still not solved. Then uninstall your graphic card drivers, motherboard, etc... everything.. and see if your system boots normally. In such case, it might be normal that Windows take take to load as it might install the generic drivers, so reboot a second time.

I know its a pain, but you need to find out what's the thing that is causing such problem

When I boot windows 8 I have a period of time in the lock screen were it either freezes or my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive for about 15 seconds. Anyone else having this issue?

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

When I boot windows 8 I have a period of time in the lock screen were it either freezes or my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive for about 15 seconds. Anyone else having this issue?

That is exactly my issue...

Ok, sounds like a driver or service is the problem.

Turn on from shutdown state, your time, is normal. Restart is the problem.

When you do a shutdown, as previously explain, Windows 8 does a partial hibernation. It hibernates what doesn't change: drivers, services, and some system files.

If you had Windows 7, you'll be complaining on why Windows take forever to start up (more than half a minute anytime).

Here is what I would do:

-> Remove your Anti-Virus. This is the main thing that makes your Windows boot super slow as many LOVES doing a core system file virus scan before Windows boot, every single time. Same for some defrag software, so remove that as well.

If the above doesn't help:

-> Look at your services, and see what not part of Microsoft, and UNINSTALL the program related to that service (don't disable the service), and see if your problem is solved.

-> If your problem is not solved, unplug all USB peripheral from your system, and extra sound (sound card, Tv Tuner, printer, USB drive, controller, USB hub, etc... everything, except keyboard and mouse).

-> If your problem is still not solved. Then uninstall your graphic card drivers, motherboard, etc... everything.. and see if your system boots normally. In such case, it might be normal that Windows take take to load as it might install the generic drivers, so reboot a second time.

I know its a pain, but you need to find out what's the thing that is causing such problem

Thanks ;)

Im gonna try those steps and get back later.

For how long have you been having this problem?

hmmmmm I would say for about 2-3 weeks. It doesn't happen all the time but I have had windows 8 for while now so in comparison to that it is fairly recent.

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

I am pretty sure that it is related to some windows update, for what ive been reading. 

Been meaning to do a windows 8 refresh, but if the problem relies in the update there isnt much of a point...

By the way, is W8 much better for gaming than Windows 7?

No issue on my side :/

I have a Logitech Keyboard and mouse, and I just check on my Dell laptop (which is almost 5 years old), no issue.

Very interesting. I just plug my keyboard and mouse on USB ports which I never plugged before and I had to wait ~10sec to get them working. I wonder if Windows 'forgets' your keyboard and mouse , hence why it doesn't work for a moment.

Things to try:

-> Use USB 2.0 not 3.0 for your keyboard and mouse

-> Uninstall your mouse and keyboard drivers/software, and restart your computer, see if that helps.

-> Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

-> Disabled USB legacy Mode in the BIOS.

- > If you disable Fast Boot, is your problem solve? (Win+W > type: Power Option > Change what the power button do (found on the left side column) > scroll down, you'll find a check box for Turn on Fast Startup. Uncheck it, and restart your computer.

Does any of this helps?

I am pretty sure that it is related to some windows update, for what ive been reading. 

Been meaning to do a windows 8 refresh, but if the problem relies in the update there isnt much of a point...

By the way, is W8 much better for gaming than Windows 7?

It could be a Windows update on a particular set of hardware. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, or maybe in Windows 8.1, if that is the case.

Win8 is a bit better in gaming than Window s7, it's not a night and day difference on modern hardware. It is however much noticeable if you have older system. Like a GeForce 200 series or older, or something like that. At least on my side.

No issue on my side :/

I have a Logitech Keyboard and mouse, and I just check on my Dell laptop (which is almost 5 years old), no issue.

Very interesting. I just plug my keyboard and mouse on USB ports which I never plugged before and I had to wait ~10sec to get them working. I wonder if Windows 'forgets' your keyboard and mouse , hence why it doesn't work for a moment.

Things to try:

-> Use USB 2.0 not 3.0 for your keyboard and mouse

-> Uninstall your mouse and keyboard drivers/software, and restart your computer, see if that helps.

-> Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

-> Disabled USB legacy Mode in the BIOS.

- > If you disable Fast Boot, is your problem solve? (Win+W > type: Power Option > Change what the power button do (found on the left side column) > scroll down, you'll find a check box for Turn on Fast Startup. Uncheck it, and restart your computer.

Does any of this helps?

Im not at home right now but sure will test these..

If i disable fast boot, wont it boot slower "on purpose"?

Tks

One thing i can assure you atm, is that i have everything plugged into usb 2.0.

Also, dont have any drivers installed for mouse/keyboard, other than the windows ones.

Gotta check on legacy mode

Im not at home right now but sure will test these..

If i disable fast boot, wont it boot slower "on purpose"?

Tks

Yes, but its to test you keyboard and mouse issue. If your problem is solved, than we know it's a BIOS issue with Windows 8, and we can look at solutions for it.

For the slow boot, I am sure it's your anti-virus, but follow what I said, it covers everything possible.

We will get at the bottom of your issues, and hopefully fix them all, so that you can enjoy your system.

I dont have any AVirus. All i have is defender that comes along with W8...

Ill take a look later and get back

Thanks a lot!

Yes, but its to test you keyboard and mouse issue. If your problem is solved, than we know it's a BIOS issue with Windows 8, and we can look at solutions for it.

For the slow boot, I am sure it's your anti-virus, but follow what I said, it covers everything possible.

We will get at the bottom of your issues, and hopefully fix them all, so that you can enjoy your system.

Im gonna be more precise.

My problem is exactly the one that xAlpha Stick has. I mean, it gets to the lock screen and it just freezes for no reason for about 15 sec, instead of "moving on"..

Then, all the cool quick boot stuff suffers. Its like booting in xp without superfetch and learning curve working

Hmmm... I am not finding anyone with the exact same issue. All I can see is people having Windows 7 freeze at the login screen or startup screen, or Windows 8 completely lock up somewhere.

Assuming the USB legacy didn't help:

Do you have a spare HDD somewhere that you can format?

I want to see if we are looking at a hardware or software issue.

As installing Windows 8 takes only a few minutes, (~5-6min with a high speed USB 2.0 drive), do you mind installing Windows 8 on it (do NOT activate it), make sure you uncheck to auto activate option, where you put your product key if you have the option, and if you skip not putting a your serial number, then good, do that.

Does the problem exists there? What happens if you install your drivers now, does it happens? If not, and you really want to know if it's Windows 8, install all updates.

By the way, I am not just throwing ideas out just like that. If I had the same issue as you, I would do it. In fact, I always do it when it comes to strange issues where it's hard to determine if it's a hardware or software issue.

Hmmm... I am not finding anyone with the exact same issue. All I can see is people having Windows 7 freeze at the login screen or startup screen, or Windows 8 completely lock up somewhere.

Assuming the USB legacy didn't help:

Do you have a spare HDD somewhere that you can format?

I want to see if we are looking at a hardware or software issue.

As installing Windows 8 takes only a few minutes, (~5-6min with a high speed USB 2.0 drive), do you mind installing Windows 8 on it (do NOT activate it), make sure you uncheck to auto activate option, where you put your product key if you have the option, and if you skip not putting a your serial number, then good, do that.

Does the problem exists there? What happens if you install your drivers now, does it happens? If not, and you really want to know if it's Windows 8, install all updates.

By the way, I am not just throwing ideas out just like that. If I had the same issue as you, I would do it. In fact, I always do it when it comes to strange issues where it's hard to determine if it's a hardware or software issue.

Examples:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproperf/thread/bf298d52-4469-4197-9d7f-5a286f75e6b1

http://www.overclock.net/t/1326004/win-8-restart-is-it-suppose-to-be-slow