Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary or Fx 6300

Matt Wakey

I made this - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/FHVpzy from what I've heard you can overclock the pentium to

4.00 ghz plus, for only £40, but then again you could get an fx 6300 with 4 more cores which is also overclockable but slighty more expensive

If anyone has any other builds around that price range(pc partpicker link) let me know cos I've been looking for one for a while pretty much for a good price to do gaming and light video editing.

Thanks

pentium because AM3+ is geting old as shit right now, with LGA1150 you can upgrade to a i5 or i7

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

8320 option

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

8320 option

8320 is like £70 more, how much more performance am I really gonna get + amd has high power consumption and temperatures

8350 is like £70 more, how much more performance am I really gonna get + amd has high power consumption and temperatures

the over clocked 8320/8350 will beat the pentium any day as for heat depends where you get it to with OC's, the evo will keep it cool and stable. don't worry about power consumption as long as you have a minimum of 550w for the system you fine

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

the over clocked 8320/8350 will beat the pentium any day as for heat depends where you get it to with OC's, the evo will keep it cool and stable. don't worry about power consumption as long as you have a minimum of 550w for the system you fine

I'll see what I can do, I wanna keep my budget under 600 including OS, keyboard and mouse.

I'll use my TV as a monitor :D

I'd get the Intel. The way AMD says cores is more like a marketing strategy. Its 4 physical cores, but it performs like 2 cores with 4 threads.

I'll see what I can do, I wanna keep my budget under 600 including OS, keyboard and mouse.

tvs are terrible monitors :3 (input lag and usually comparatively poor pictures). 

Get windows from g2a.com for $21 USD. and get some "cheap" mouse+keyboard---like $50 for both. 

I'd get the Intel. The way AMD says cores is more like a marketing strategy. Its 4 physical cores, but it performs like 2 cores with 4 threads.

wut.... no. not at all. an 8320 will beat a 4790k in rendering--something that can utilize all its cores. and in gaming an 8320 can compete quite well with a 4790k. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

tvs are terrible monitors :3 (input lag and usually comparatively poor pictures). 

Get windows from g2a.com for $21 USD. and get some "cheap" mouse+keyboard---like $50 for both. 

wut.... no. not at all. an 8320 will beat a 4790k in rendering--something that can utilize all its cores. and in gaming an 8320 can compete quite well with a 4790k.

I'll probably sell it and get a monitor then in the future, I presume you can use an Xbox360 with a pc monitor?

8320 option

What good amd motherboards are there? Asus m5a97 r2.0

I'll probably sell it and get a monitor then in the future, I presume you can use an Xbox360 with a pc monitor?

yes. Either by getting an adapter from hdmi to displayport/dvi, or getting a monitor that has hdmi (which are quite common these days). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

kinda hard having to include peripherals id say if you can find a keyboard and mouse get them and switch the 270x to a 280 alternatively grab a windows key off g2a 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (£97.00 @ Scan.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£23.99 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£62.96 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£60.47 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£32.34 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card  (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£30.25 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£55.32 @ More Computers)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£82.62 @ Amazon UK)

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£74.99 @ Novatech)

Mouse: SteelSeries Diablo III Wired Laser Mouse  (£26.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £665.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-30 01:30 BST+0100

Specs

What good amd motherboards are there? Asus m5a97 r2.0

the one i linked below or most of the 990fx boards

Specs

the one i linked below or most of the 990fx boards

Thanks, I think I'll get the OS from G2a.com, and probably a cheaper keyboard and mouse:P

I think this will be a quality build.

How much fps do you think I'll get on battlefield 4 etc,

High 1080p?

Pentium, m8. You'll have the option of upgrading to an i5 or an i7 when you can afford it later on!

That's what I would do anyways.

Pentium, m8. You'll have the option of upgrading to an i5 or an i7 when you can afford it later on!

That's what I would do anyways.

I'll think about it, i look at some benchmarks

I'll think about it, i look at some benchmarks

It blows away the 6300 by far when overclocked, nearing performance close to i5 benchmarks in gaming.

Personally I would get the i3-4150 and be done. It beats the Pentium G3258, FX-6300 and the FX-8320 often in gaming. Plus if you buy a H97 or Z97 motherboard you are in a way "future proof" for Broadwell this Christmas season.

Personally I would get the i3-4150 and be done. It beats the Pentium G3258, FX-6300 and the FX-8320 often in gaming. Plus if you buy a H97 or Z97 motherboard you are in a way "future proof" for Broadwell this Christmas season.

Yeah but 8320 is better than i3

It blows away the 6300 by far when overclocked, nearing performance close to i5 benchmarks in gaming.

No it doesn't. In old games like Skyrim it wins yes, but when the threads are kicking it gets demolished by chips with more cores.

Intel have only released it because they know that it's pretty lame. They have stopped giving anything away now and charge for K series CPUs. The anniversary is just an overclocker's toy.

Even Intel know that more cores are the order of the day. They're about to release an 8 core that overclocks, says it all.

I would go with the AMD. However, I would get an 8320. I've had three now, each one overclocks to at least 4.6ghz. The one I kept does 4.9ghz stable, at which point it absolutely pisses on the Pentium. It's not even in the same class.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

No it doesn't. In old games like Skyrim it wins yes, but when the threads are kicking it gets demolished by chips with more cores.

Maybe - I can't do research on that for myself at the moment. But even so, if you go with the pentium and can get a z87 or z97, you have the option of upgrading to an unlocked i5 down the road. Those for sure stomp what AMD has out currently.

Maybe - I can't do research on that for myself at the moment. But even so, if you go with the pentium and can get a z87 or z97, you have the option of upgrading to an unlocked i5 down the road. Those for sure stomp what AMD has out currently.

No, they don't. Please stop with the stupid comments. It's just fanboy nonsense.

The AMDs will fight the Intels all the way when they are being used properly. An 8320 for example will easily outperform any I5 Intel make.

Why you would tell some one to buy one CPU now, then buy another is ridiculous. The AMD 8 cores will be good enough to last all the time the new consoles are still current and we get ports from them. After all, it's the same architecture.

In fact, if I'm being completely honest I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU for gaming now. It could actually end up worse than having the FX 8.

Telling some one to buy an expensive board with a crap CPU is not good advice. They'll only have to replace the CPU, making it a double purchase.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

No, they don't. Please stop with the stupid comments. It's just fanboy nonsense.

The AMDs will fight the Intels all the way when they are being used properly. An 8320 for example will easily outperform any I5 Intel make.

Why you would tell some one to buy one CPU now, then buy another is ridiculous. The AMD 8 cores will be good enough to last all the time the new consoles are still current and we get ports from them. After all, it's the same architecture.

In fact, if I'm being completely honest I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU for gaming now. It could actually end up worse than having the FX 8.

Telling some one to buy an expensive board with a crap CPU is not good advice. They'll only have to replace the CPU, making it a double purchase.

I'm not being a fanboy m8. I was actually wanting an AMD 8350, but after seeing benchmarks for gaming compared to an overclocked 2500k from a friend, I decided to go Intel - plus he gave me an awesome deal.

I want AMD to make something that makes Intel worried, but they don't have anything that can outperform an Intel CPU for gaming and overall needs.

I like what's best for different needs. Totes not a fanboy. Just because I prefer Intel over AMD because they're factually better overall does not make me a fanboy.

I'm not being a fanboy m8. I was actually wanting an AMD 8350, but after seeing benchmarks for gaming compared to an overclocked 2500k from a friend, I decided to go Intel - plus he gave me an awesome deal.

I want AMD to make something that makes Intel worried, but they don't have anything that can outperform an Intel CPU for gaming and overall needs.

I like what's best for different needs. Totes not a fanboy. Just because I prefer Intel over AMD because they're factually better overall does not make me a fanboy.

You are being a fanboy because you are making claims that have absolutely no basis.

I've compared my 4.9ghz 8320 to a 2500k and the 2500k won in nothing. 

AMD are not going to make anything that makes Intel worried because they've given up wasting money on pointless technology no one needs. Intel won the stupid willy waving war, now they're making tiny dies for laptops and tablets. The war is over, the last decent thing Intel did was Sandybridge, they're now moving into other sectors of the market or they will go bankrupt. The desktop PC as we know it is dying, Intel need another avenue.

As of right now all you need is a CPU with as many cores as you can get, because that's what this round of console ports is asking for. You don't need to spend more on an Intel and you don't need an expensive motherboard. All you need to do is what I said, plus a GPU with as much vram as you can get because the new consoles have a boat load of GDDR5 they can call on. Hence, Watchdogs devours vram. I wonder why?

As for what's factually better? if you produced actual facts then you would see that it takes spending over double the cash on an Intel CPU to make it factually better. So whatever Intel 'give' you, you pay for in spades.

Snip

I shouldn't have to list benchmarks to prove my point since you have access to Google yourself.

But whatever floats your boat man. Just don't call me a fanboy when I'm not, lol