Oneplus One Smartphone Review

Hey guys, so I got my Oneplus One a few days ago. I decided I would do a review just for fun!

Just a disclaimer: I am not a tech reviewer so this may not be very good or really that well done but I thought I'd give it a shot!

(I will update this periodically as I gain more info and only start with what I have so far so basically my first impressions.)

Anyway let's get started, so the Oneplus One smartphone has been labeled "a flagship killer" basically meaning it can go toe to toe with the more expensive smart phones on the market for much less.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the higher end phones and really only have a comparison to make to the iPhone 4. So this won't be a review of the tech compared to other options on the market and moreover my personal experience and thoughts.

Initially to get the phone itself you have to be invited by the company. Seems kind of pretentious but in reality is quite a good idea. Being a new company Oneplus isn't confident in their ability to manufacture the phones at the rate of the demand. The invite system allows them to distribute exactly what they are able to make.

Upon the phone first arriving I was blown away first by the packaging, very clean and well designed. It comes with a charger, the phone and some documentation as well as a sim card slot key. I didn't know that's what it was so I ended up using a paperclip instead which is easy enough to do.

One thing I'd like to note is the fact that the charging cable for this phone is ridiculous, I mean I support innovation as much as the next guy but come on, was "innovating" the design of usb cables really necessary?

The size of the phone was also quite a but of a surprise to me, I came from an iPhone 4 which is obviously quite a bit smaller. I suppose the screen size would've told me the size of the phone itself but its hard for me to picture size just by reading dimensions. At first it didn't really fit in my hands comfortably but after a few days of use I got used to it.

So upon the first boot you are prompted to make a google account. I already had one so set up was rather simple. My first thoughts when entering the android OS for the first time was confusion. A lot of what I wanted to find seemed a more difficult than it needed to be. However I really like the widgets and lock screen designs.

I know some people may find this offensive but bear with me. I feel as though apple os' are designed for stupid people, now I'm not calling anyone stupid for using it or anything I'm saying it was like that was their target audience. Everything on iOS is over simplified and rather easy to figure out whereas android seems to be more complicated and open to the consumer.

One thing I'll explain right off the bat is that I don't use my phone like a computer so I don't really do anything fancy to it. So currently I only have a few apps aside from the ones that come on the phone stock.

I will add more and pictures as time goes on! :) also let me know of anything I should do to improve the review I can handle all criticism so negative and positive is welcome!

Oneplus one = 2.

jk, Thanks for the review man, I think the USB adapter and cable is being too 'fabulous', a all black cable would have been enough.

You don't really say anything about the phone at all...

Adding more later, I wrote this on the phone so I will update with more as time goes on.

Any chance of getting an invite?  :P

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Any chance of getting an invite?  :P

I don't have any invites I can give away atm :(

Did you get one of the units with a yellow hue on the lower part of your screen?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Did you get one of the units with a yellow hue on the lower part of your screen?

Nope

Nope

Interesting. A lot of people were complaining about that. I'd have that it's more widespread, but it actually seems relatively rare.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Interesting. A lot of people were complaining about that. I'd have that it's more widespread, but it actually seems relatively rare.

Strange, is it a particular model? I got the Sandstone Black version.

Strange, is it a particular model? I got the Sandstone Black version.

I know for sure it was on some sandstone black models, but I dont know if it was limited too them. One reviewer said it looked like someone pissed all over the bottom third of his screen :P

I know for sure it was on some sandstone black models, but I dont know if it was limited too them. One reviewer said it looked like someone pissed all over the bottom third of his screen :P

Aha, but yeah my screen is fine, no discoloration or anything :)

5S%20fancy%20colors-623-80.jpg

I don't like big-ass fucking screens that I can't type comfortably with one hand because you know, texting at school and surface area to light your face when you're browsing at night.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I don't like big-ass fucking screens that I can't type comfortably with one hand because you know, texting at school and surface area to light your face when you're browsing at night.

My hands are rather big so even with the 5.5 inch screen I can comfortably type with one hand however I know what you mean.

My hands are rather big so even with the 5.5 inch screen I can comfortably type with one hand however I know what you mean.

Well, I'm 14 so what do you expect :P

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Well, I'm 14 so what do you expect :P

I haven't grown much since I was 14, I have naturally bigger bones so my hands/ feet have been really big since I was about 12.

Oneplus one = 2.

jk, Thanks for the review man, I think the USB adapter and cable is being too 'fabulous', a all black cable would have been enough.

Excuse me, did you just claim there is a threshold of too much fabulous?

Are you saying the 5S is too big?

Are you saying the 5S is too big?

No, I was showing an example of a phone I'd get. I found out today that my Dep. Principal of my school has one and it's pretty cool but still not my taste.

Is this phone released yet? i'm confused all i see is people asking for invites i lost interest....

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Is this phone released yet? i'm confused all i see is people asking for invites i lost interest....

It's not commercially available, the company or another person has to give you an invitation. After you activate it you have 24 hours to buy the phone.

It's not commercially available, the company or another person has to give you an invitation. After you activate it you have 24 hours to buy the phone.

Wow how stupid I guess they will be releasing it in the next decade I suppose...

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Wow how stupid I guess they will be releasing it in the next decade I suppose...

They're doing it this way as they aren't confident they can supply enough phones to meet the demand. As they grow and get more efficient at manufacturing they will give out more and more invites and eventually make them commercially available.

I feel as though apple os' are designed for stupid people, now I'm not calling anyone stupid for using it or anything I'm saying it was like that was their target audience. Everything on iOS is over simplified and rather easy to figure out whereas android seems to be more complicated and open to the consumer.

Sir, as much as i respect your point of view, i dont understand your point. You are telling that Android being complicated is more .. user friendly ?

In my opinion, iOS is perfectly balanced, it lacks the bells and whistles of Android but it delivers a good user experience, everything is in it's place, everything works as intended and no need for 8Gb of ram to make it butter smooth.

My point here is, maybe iOS was made for what you insist to call "stupid people", but let's not forget that not everyone feels confortable with thousands of settings and tweaks, maybe the consumer wants a phone that simply works the way it's meant to be and an Appstore that isn't a total mess. 

Now before being lynched by the LTT Anti-Apple Party, I've tried the Galaxy S5 and I was ready to swap my iPhone 5, but after a week with the S5 i've came to the conclusion that Android is really a pile of crap. How can an OS be so buggy with a behemoth like the S5 ? not to mention the Play Store. I mean come on, how hard is it to have some quality control over the Play Store ? I've seen one star apps in the "Popular" and "Recomended" sections, malware and fake apps. With iTunes i thought i've seen the definition of a shitty music management software, but in Android .. well .. there is none. Widgets mmm I don't know, do I like my screen cluttered with weather forecasts and Facebook posts and Media Player Controls ? I don't think so .. kudos for the amazing screen and camera, but that's about it. 

plz dun kill me

-snip-

To address your first point, I stated open to the consumer not more user friendly. iOS is more user friendly to the point of being extremely simple to use and navigate. Android as an OS gives you many many options and you are not locked down therefore, it's open to the consumer yet complicated in what you can accomplish with it. 

The use of "stupid people" is not to say people who use the devices are stupid at all, it's refering to what they had in mind going through the process of designing the operation system. It's locked down, very simplistic, and doesn't give you really any opportunity to screw up the phone.

I also can't agree on your statement of Android needing 8GB of RAM to be buttery smooth, the Oneplus One has 2GB of RAM and is very smooth in it's transitions and functionality.

As for your comparison on the app stores of both that's not something that effects me, I never download too many 3rd party apps on my phone because it's a phone. Not a mobile computer, at least to me so generally all I have is the stock apps and a few things like my bank app and YouTube.