WizardFlex

I recently build a new computer. It has the following things build in:

CPU: AMD FX-3600 @ 3,5 Ghz

Motherbord: Asus M5A78l-m/USB3

Memory: 2x 4GB Corsair 1333 Mhz.

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming Edition

HDD: 360GB Western Digital 7200RPM

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 dualboot with Windows 8.1 N x64

The problem is that is has been slower then my Toshiba notebook. It has the following specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i3 3217U @ 1,8Ghz

Memory: 1x 4GB 1600 Mhz

GPU: Intel HD 4000

HDD: 500GB 5400 RPM.

I don't know why my PC is slower, but it has better specifications and i already completely wiped my HDD several times, and tried reinstalling windows. I even have reset my motherboard to standard settings. I hope someone could help me with this problem.

What do you mean by slower?

An SSD would make everything a whole lot faster.

Also the Ram is kinda iffy.

CPU: AMD FX-600 @ 3,5 Ghz

The problem is that is has been slower then my Toshiba notebook. It has the following specifications:

I don't know why my PC is slower, but it has better specifications and i already completely wiped my HDD several times, and tried reinstalling windows. I even have reset my motherboard to standard settings. I hope someone could help me with this problem.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Well what i mean by slower is that it takes a longer time to startup, even after a clean install. It takes longer times to open programs etc. I know an SSD would make the PC faster, but the RAM maybe is clocked a bit slower then my notebook, but it is 8GB instead of 4GB. So i don't know why it is running slower.

What do you mean by slower?

An SSD would make everything a whole lot faster.

Also the Ram is kinda iffy.

your HDD is killing your system lol 360gb? and dual-boot? how full is it? if its like 80% full then thats the problem... if its not that full then try to go to bios and check that you're still at the clockspeed you're suppose to be (I had an experience where the computer's cmos was reset for some reason and my clock speed went down to default)

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

Well what i mean by slower is that it takes a longer time to startup, even after a clean install. It takes longer times to open programs etc. I know an SSD would make the PC faster, but the RAM maybe is clocked a bit slower then my notebook, but it is 8GB instead of 4GB. So i don't know why it is running slower.

Just because it's 8gigs doesnt mean it'll stack up to run faster than the 1600mhz.

your HDD is killing your system lol 360gb? and dual-boot? how full is it? if its like 80% full then thats the problem... if its not that full then try to go to bios and check that you're still at the clockspeed you're suppose to be (I had an experience where the computer's cmos was reset for some reason and my clock speed went down to default)

^ What he said.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It only has the operating systems on it, almost nothing installed. It has like 200 GB of free space. I'm going to check if the clockspeed is still fine. I know the clock speed of my RAM has been set to 1333Mhz in the Bios.

Before i've bought the RAM i've looked up at YouTube video's if there was any difference between the 1333 Mhz memory and other clock speeds. Almost everywhere they say it doesn't really matter.

Just because it's 8gigs doesnt mean it'll stack up to run faster than the 1600mhz.

^ What he said.

Before i've bought the RAM i've looked up at YouTube video's if there was any difference between the 1333 Mhz memory and other clock speeds. Almost everywhere they say it doesn't really matter.

It doesn't in regards to speed.

If i'm not wrong the FX-6300 is a better CPU than an the i3 right?

It doesn't in regards to speed.

If i'm not wrong the FX-6300 is a better CPU than an the i3 right?

Yes and no, can't compare 1 cpu to a series of CPU's. Also the slowness is from your hdd, without a doubt.

Yes and no, can't compare 1 cpu to a series of CPU's. Also the slowness is from your hdd, without a doubt.

that slowness would've been present in the old computer as well....even more so since it was 5400rpm.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

CPU: AMD FX-600 @ 3,5 Ghz

It might be that initial fragging a few boot cycles after reformatting...

check your system temperature.... might be an overheating issue

and if not than check your hard disk for bad sectors using HD tune or any utility.

Thanks for the reply's, I'm going to try your solutions out! :)

could also be the timing on the ram. some of the corsair ram is honestly just awefull. ive got vengeance laying around thats 1600MHz but timing of 11-11-11-30 which basically makes it slower than 1300MHz

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I'm just going to say that unless that HDD is new (looking at that capacity, it doesn't look like it) this is probably to be expected.

Otherwise check if the CPU temps are high; maybe it's throttling. 

You shouldn't notice RAM speeds impacting it this much.

But since you stated it's mostly boot and starting programs, I suspect harddrive.

that slowness would've been present in the old computer as well....even more so since it was 5400rpm.

Not sure on that one. That 2.5 inch hdd has a higher data density, probably two platters as opposed to probably only one, and almost certainly has more lightweight components that make up the reading arm, so it tends to be better at random reads. Trust me, rotational speed isn't everything.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Definitely get an SSD, it makes things a heck of a lot faster.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Dose any of those suggestion work??

• 3 weeks later...

I just came back from vacation, and I think I'm going to buy an SSD. I really think that's it because the temperatures are just allright so that's not it.

there are very obvious issues to be fixed here :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You don't say lol... Already told you since third post xD

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering, if I buy an brand new HDD would my PC run faster? Or only if I buy an SSD?

I think I'm going to get an 120GB SSD tommorow. Maybe I will get an 1TB HDD another time.