• PC with an active Ethernet connection AND a WiFi adapter
  • A device with WiFi capabilities lacking a connection
  • No router, or, the desire to do this for fun

PART 1: Create the Network
  • Go to "Network and Sharing Center"
  • Click "Set up a new connection or network"
  • In the wizard that pops up, select "create a new ad hoc wireless network"
  • Name the network, and grant it security settings
    • Though this is an ad hoc network, it's still a wireless network, so you'll want security on. Use WPA2, and provide a strong password
  • Network is created (Will appear under quick-connect list)

Part 2: Granting Network Internet Connection

• Return to "Network and Sharing Center"
  • Click on "Change Adapter Settings:
  • Right-click on the ETHERNET adapter that has the active internet connection
  • Click on the "Sharing" tab
  • Check off "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection"
  • Select the network you created in step 1 under "Home networking connection"

There, you're done. You should now be able to see the network on your laptop, and connect to it like a normal WiFi router.

*NOTE: If you did not hit save network in Step 1, every time you turn your PC back on, you will need to re-create the network.

PART 1: Make sure your WiFi adapter can support a hosted network

• Open an administrative command prompt
    • Mouse to bottom left corner
    • Right-click start
    • Click "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  • Enter the following command: NETSH WLAN SHOW DRIVERS
  • Look for "Hosted network supported: Yes, this means you can use that adapter as a WiFi hotspot
  • DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT

Part 2: Create the Network

• Enter the following: NETSH WLAN SET HOSTEDNETWORK MODE=ALLOW SSID=desired network name KEY=desired network key
  • DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT

Part 3: Start the Network

• Enter NETSH WLAN START HOSTEDNETWORK

Part 4: Granting Network Internet Connection
Return to "Network and Sharing Center"
Click on "Change Adapter Settings:
Right-click on the ETHERNET adapter that has the active internet connection
Click on the "Sharing" tab
Check off "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection"
Select the network you created in step 1 under "Home networking connection"

*NOTE: To stop the network, just open an administrative command prompt and type: NETSH WLAN STOP HOSTED NETWORK

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

How to make it password protected?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

How to make it password protected?

I put that in on both, but... for reference, in the GUI method, after being forced to give the network a name you are given the option of setting the encryption, and password. For command line, the KEY= section in "NETSH WLAN SET HOSTEDNETWORK MODE=ALLOW SSID=desired network name KEY=desired network key" is where you set your desired password.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section