Mechanical Keyboards

Totally-A-Hero
Go to solution Solved by agentagent47,

Are they worth it? My dad thinks its stupid of me to spend $155 on a mechanical keyboard and mouse.Im playing on free keyboard and a $7 HP mouse. The reason this isnt in the keyboard section is becasue i want a lot of responses to prove him wrong. Its my money too.

LOL man LOL !!!! you have the exact problem with me :D. when i was 14 years old ( iam 17 now )...... that's what my dad said it's stupid to  spend $155 or even on my case worst !! my dad said it's stupid to spend $120 on a keyboard....we always use chinese membrane keyboard that like $9/keyboard that broke like every 2 weeks. but i said mechanical keyboard are a lot more reliable and it's more clicky (back then i want to buy cherry mx blue. i don't intruduce him to all of type of switches. only membrane and mechanical ) and it's cool with some weight on them like 1kg ( the one i use is like 100g ). but he said no !!! :(  and he was mad at me and he give me a lecture for like 2 hours how to spend money,what a unwise choice is that.. he even keep talking during dinner,witch is there's a unspoken rule ( if you know what i mean ) " you cannot talk to much while eating..... soo my dad method of teaching me about spending money is like that he stop you before you make the mistake your going to do.... but i am a naughty kid witch in my opinion is i don't learn until i fell the mistake what iam doing....

in my opinion it's hard to switch from cheap membrane keyboard that you thing you are satisfied with it to a expensive at the first but last like years and years mechanical keyboard...

soo i shut up iam don't talk to much always go to my room and always half a sleep. but when my older brother come home from college ( he's like 22 years old back then ) i tell him my decision about buying a mechanical keyboard ( without dad's knowing of course ) but when i start talking and about switches and stuff and showing the keyboard that i want to buy.... he said " NANANANNANANANLALALLALALALLA !!! " he even know there is a problem in some part of the story ( maybe i share everything with him too often when we are kids : D ) he said what's the problem ?? i said dad wouldn't let me buy it ..... :( . you know what he said ??? you stupid idiot !! if you want to buy something that is not at our family normal price ( like $9 for a keyboard is normal family price of course $120 isn't ) never ask dad !!! soo what he recommend me ?? ASK MOM.

soo did. the next day when mom pick me on school she said " where is the place you want to buy the keyboard ?? " she already bring my wallet witch is like a bank for me :D . soo i she took me to the place and at the store she did inturupted me with my choice and when i ask witch is better she always say " witch you prefer ?? it's your money not mine. your money your decision " she wait for me like an hour when i talk to the store owner. and finally i buy it :D :D . but i still afraid what my dad would say.... because my mom method of teaching me is feel the pain or you would not know it.... i guess she talking sense... when the first time she said don't run when crossing the road i don't care about it. what i thing is what's the problem with that ? until not a long time from that i got hit by a motorbike... i learn something.... back to the keyboard... when my dad came home my mom told him i buy that $120 keyboard..... i can see he's face... angry but silence... he came to my room and for truce intent i offer him to try the keyboard and he just " hmm-hmm...,hmm-hmm " well i don't care what he's opinion....because iam happy :D . the next morning when i wake up to prepare my self to go to school i see that the keyboard is gone at first glance i think he's soo angry he dump the keyboard and change it with the $9 keyboard :(  but there's also a anvelope with is a letter said " iam sorry but that is the best keyboard i ever use and i am taking it to work.. and don't even dare ask for it back " and he leave a $150 money to buy another one..... he also leave me a huge yellow smile on a drawing paper.... and i still put that yellow smile on my room wall.... that was it.

sorry it's a bit of a story than a recommendation, but i like typing long things :D :D sorry *truce

Personally i type with reds. The browns just feel like they are slowing me down. I like the blues but if you have roommates or other people around you a lot then i would avoid them. You may get kicked out just because of how annoying people find them. I like mechanical keyboards because you can put o-rings on them and they are very mod-able. If you don't type a lot then i would say just stick with a membrane keyboard with contoured keys (I used to have an Apple keyboard because they feel great to type on, but the flat keys are horrid for gaming).

Depends. Once you've had one membrane boards will feel cheap and weird to you where they haven't before. So if you don't type that much I woudn't bother. For gaming I feel my blues don't really offer much above a standard keyboard. Just typing feels a lot more pleasant.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You've spent like $2000 on keyboards is what you're saying?

More, he has some pretty hard to find keyboards/switches in that collection :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I do think they're worth it but they're easier to justify for someone who either spends all day on their computer and/or actually makes money with their computer. Then it becomes an investment. Anything that helps you get your work done is an investment :)

Either way, I'd just explain that buying a mechanical keyboard could mean having a trusty companion for years upon years of enjoyable use.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I think its worth it, I am just waiting for the Corsair K70 RGB to be released with Brown switches so I can stop using my current membrane keyboard. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Blues are shit for games, but for typing, 10/10.

Get Browns, they keep that bump, and are better for games (though that may not be true for you).

uwotm8

Blues aren't shit, they're just as good as browns. Now if you had said reds were better than gaming than that would have been another story.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I do think they're worth it but they're easier to justify for someone who either spends all day on their computer and/or actually makes money with their computer. Then it becomes an investment. Anything that helps you get your work done is an investment :)

Well said! I do a lot of programming and a mech keyboard definitely makes the experience a lot better and a lot more comfortable. I also notice that I don't get as much typing errors now. :)

Well said! I do a lot of programming and a mech keyboard definitely makes the experience a lot better and a lot more comfortable. I also notice that I don't get as much typing errors now. :)

Same, I took mine to the office and ended up talking 5 others into buying a mechanical keyboard :P

Are they worth it? My dad thinks its stupid of me to spend $155 on a mechanical keyboard and mouse.Im playing on free keyboard and a $7 HP mouse. The reason this isnt in the keyboard section is becasue i want a lot of responses to prove him wrong. Its my money too.

LOL man LOL !!!! you have the exact problem with me :D. when i was 14 years old ( iam 17 now )...... that's what my dad said it's stupid to  spend $155 or even on my case worst !! my dad said it's stupid to spend $120 on a keyboard....we always use chinese membrane keyboard that like $9/keyboard that broke like every 2 weeks. but i said mechanical keyboard are a lot more reliable and it's more clicky (back then i want to buy cherry mx blue. i don't intruduce him to all of type of switches. only membrane and mechanical ) and it's cool with some weight on them like 1kg ( the one i use is like 100g ). but he said no !!! :(  and he was mad at me and he give me a lecture for like 2 hours how to spend money,what a unwise choice is that.. he even keep talking during dinner,witch is there's a unspoken rule ( if you know what i mean ) " you cannot talk to much while eating..... soo my dad method of teaching me about spending money is like that he stop you before you make the mistake your going to do.... but i am a naughty kid witch in my opinion is i don't learn until i fell the mistake what iam doing....

in my opinion it's hard to switch from cheap membrane keyboard that you thing you are satisfied with it to a expensive at the first but last like years and years mechanical keyboard...

soo i shut up iam don't talk to much always go to my room and always half a sleep. but when my older brother come home from college ( he's like 22 years old back then ) i tell him my decision about buying a mechanical keyboard ( without dad's knowing of course ) but when i start talking and about switches and stuff and showing the keyboard that i want to buy.... he said " NANANANNANANANLALALLALALALLA !!! " he even know there is a problem in some part of the story ( maybe i share everything with him too often when we are kids : D ) he said what's the problem ?? i said dad wouldn't let me buy it ..... :( . you know what he said ??? you stupid idiot !! if you want to buy something that is not at our family normal price ( like $9 for a keyboard is normal family price of course $120 isn't ) never ask dad !!! soo what he recommend me ?? ASK MOM.

soo did. the next day when mom pick me on school she said " where is the place you want to buy the keyboard ?? " she already bring my wallet witch is like a bank for me :D . soo i she took me to the place and at the store she did inturupted me with my choice and when i ask witch is better she always say " witch you prefer ?? it's your money not mine. your money your decision " she wait for me like an hour when i talk to the store owner. and finally i buy it :D :D . but i still afraid what my dad would say.... because my mom method of teaching me is feel the pain or you would not know it.... i guess she talking sense... when the first time she said don't run when crossing the road i don't care about it. what i thing is what's the problem with that ? until not a long time from that i got hit by a motorbike... i learn something.... back to the keyboard... when my dad came home my mom told him i buy that $120 keyboard..... i can see he's face... angry but silence... he came to my room and for truce intent i offer him to try the keyboard and he just " hmm-hmm...,hmm-hmm " well i don't care what he's opinion....because iam happy :D . the next morning when i wake up to prepare my self to go to school i see that the keyboard is gone at first glance i think he's soo angry he dump the keyboard and change it with the $9 keyboard :(  but there's also a anvelope with is a letter said " iam sorry but that is the best keyboard i ever use and i am taking it to work.. and don't even dare ask for it back " and he leave a $150 money to buy another one..... he also leave me a huge yellow smile on a drawing paper.... and i still put that yellow smile on my room wall.... that was it.

sorry it's a bit of a story than a recommendation, but i like typing long things :D :D sorry *truce

Holy crud that is deep man real deep. Im buying one for sure now this shall covince him i can feel it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Moral of the story: Don't knock it until you try it?

I just recently received a HHKB($260), and I remember when I first bought my QFR I thought it was my dream keyboard, and I wouldn't buy another, but now now I believe the same with my HHKB. Probably going to contemplate doing mods to it next!

I hope you can persuade your parents to purchase you one, they're ergonomically better if that means anything. I used to have pain in fingers with a membrane, but it goes away with any mechanical, even if I hate the feel of the switch.

Moral of the story: Don't knock it until you try it?

I just recently received a HHKB($260), and I remember when I first bought my QFR I thought it was my dream keyboard, and I wouldn't buy another, but now now I believe the same with my HHKB. Probably going to contemplate doing mods to it next!

I hope you can persuade your parents to purchase you one, they're ergonomically better if that means anything. I used to have pain in fingers with a membrane, but it goes away with any mechanical, even if I hate the feel of the switch.

Wow thanks for the input, $220 for a keyboard? THAT IS CRAZY.

Wow thanks for the input, $220 for a keyboard? THAT IS CRAZY.

Maybe if you show them some of the Korean customs on geekhack(I saw one sell for $700), maybe they won't think $150 is too big! Either way I believe a cheap mechanical keyboard is better than none at all. Not sure if it still is, but a Quickfire Rapid was/is pretty good for the price if you can't persuade your parents to get you a Ducky Shine 3 or something of the sort.

Maybe if you show them some of the Korean customs on geekhack(I saw one sell for $700), maybe they won't think $150 is too big! Either way I believe a cheap mechanical keyboard is better than none at all. Not sure if it still is, but a Quickfire Rapid was/is pretty good for the price if you can't persuade your parents to get you a Ducky Shine 3 or something of the sort.

Its only $100 i think im going to be allowed to get it now just witch mouse.......

Its only $100 i think im going to be allowed to get it now just witch mouse.......

Deathadder 2013 4 lyfe!!!

I own 3 of them in my house, one for each computer. My friend owns one, and my other owns one too. Pretty much me and my friends are Deathadder fanboys, and that's the only Razer product we buy.