PC build upgrade

I am planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU in order to handle better the newer games and some to come. I will be using my pc for gaming at 720p (preferably at 60fps and high quality) and i have a budget of around U$D400.

Here is the list of the current parts in my pc:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 840 (stock cooler)

MB: Asus M4N68T-M LE V2

GPU: ATI Sapphire HD 6850 1gb

RAM: Kingston 4gb 1333 mhz

PSU: Corsair CX600

HDD: 500gb and 1tb samsung hard drives

The CPU and GPU that i am interested in are the FX-6300 and the R9 270 (Sapphire or MSI). Along with the CPU, i would have to get a new motherboard which could be either MSI 970A-G46 or Asus M5A97 R2.0.

Will my PSU be enough to handle the new CPU and GPU? Will this setup run most games with no problem? Any comments or suggestions on this build?

That looks like a pretty good upgrade plan, though you might want to consider the new Intel Pentium G3258 for your CPU. In any case your PSU is plenty to handle it.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

That looks like a pretty good upgrade plan, though you might want to consider the new Intel Pentium G3258 for your CPU. In any case your PSU is plenty to handle it.

I agree. Pentium G3258 is a fantastic value for money, especially when overclocking!

Ok, i will take a look at that Pentium. Thank you for the fast response  :)

The M5A97 R2.0 is better than the G46.

The psu is fine. It should run most games on high-ultra just fine. 

Ok, i will take a look at that Pentium. Thank you for the fast response  :)

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The M5A97 R2.0 is better than the G46.

The psu is fine. It should run most games on high-ultra just fine. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. As for the GPU, which one of those (Sapphire or MSI) is better? They don't have that much difference in price and i could just overclock them a bit so they perform better.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. As for the GPU, which one of those (Sapphire or MSI) is better? They don't have that much difference in price and i could just overclock them a bit so they perform better.

I'd go for the Twin Frozr since it's quieter. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go for the Twin Frozr since it's quieter. 

Another question for you. Would my PSU be able to handle an R9 280? I was considering to get that one, instead of the R9 270, in case I decide to change my monitor and to get a more 'futureproof' GPU. I'd also want to know if the M5A97 R2.0 is any good at doing some overclocking on the CPU and if it would handle CrossfireX, in case I decide to go that way. Thanks.

Another question for you. Would my PSU be able to handle an R9 280? I was considering to get that one, instead of the R9 270, in case I decide to change my monitor and to get a more 'futureproof' GPU. I'd also want to know if the M5A97 R2.0 is any good at doing some overclocking on the CPU and if it would handle CrossfireX, in case I decide to go that way. Thanks.

The psu is plenty for any single Gpu. The motherboard is fine for some oc'ing. I wouldn't recommend using cf.

• 1 month later...

The psu is plenty for any single Gpu. The motherboard is fine for some oc'ing. I wouldn't recommend using cf.

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but i was checking out the specs for a XFX R9 280 Black Edition and it mentions, as a system requierement, a minimum of 750W for the PSU. Would my PSU be ok with that GPU or should I look for another GPU with a lower wattage requierement?

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but i was checking out the specs for a XFX R9 280 Black Edition and it mentions, as a system requierement, a minimum of 750W for the PSU. Would my PSU be ok with that GPU or should I look for another GPU with a lower wattage requierement?

Ignore the psu recommendations on the graphics card website as it is greatly inflated in case you end up using a crappy psu. Your psu is plenty for powering a 280. 

Ignore the psu recommendations on the graphics card website as it is greatly inflated in case you end up using a crappy psu. Your psu is plenty for powering a 280. 

And what about a R9 280x?

And what about a R9 280x?

As I've already mentioned, the psu is plenty for any single gpu.

As I've already mentioned, the psu is plenty for any single gpu.

Ok, thanks for your help