What is the best brand R9 290? UPDATE

Hey, I made a similar thread a while ago saying that Sapphire wasn't a viable answer because of cost, but I found on newegg that the 290 cards are cheaper there. So now, reccommend which is the best! Again sorry for the dumb restriction. Thanks. 

Which is the best R9 290?

Those all look fine, except XFX.... screw XFX.

So I'm going to post this again.
From left to right, best performing to least performing. Performance as in: temperatures, noise & overclockablity.

Sapphire Vapor-X > Sapphire Tri-X/PowerColor PCS+ > Gigabyte Windforce > Asus DCUII > XFX DD/MSI Gaming/HIS IceQ

For me IDGAF about GPU coolers, any is fine unless it's a: reference cooler or ASUS (if the GPU is AMD). I chose the Vapor-X because it has the best temps IIRC. Based on looks, the Gigabyte, so sexy!

290XOC-1.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i'd choose gigabyte windforce for any card they are my favorite looking and are just great.

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Nup still say sapphire is the best, worth the extra cost, they last...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

For me IDGAF about GPU coolers, any is fine unless it's a: reference cooler or ASUS (if the GPU is AMD). I chose the Vapor-X because it has the best temps IIRC. Based on looks, the Gigabyte, so sexy!

Honestly the tri-x is probably the best option, it has the most surface area for the heatsink and has more airflow.

Also using the nzxt kraken g10 might be an option if you can find a reference card cheap second-hand.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

The Vapour-x is the best, but the Tri-x is perfectly fine and often significantly cheaper. The PCS+ is great too

Those all look fine, except XFX.... screw XFX.

What's your issue with xfx? They are not bad. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

What's your issue with xfx? They are not bad. 

Support outright ignored me, just told me to RMA then closed the ticket and keeps closing any tickets I make no matter what I am asking. I have sent back wait for it... 6 7970s (That's $300 in shipping!) and I am about to go around for a 7th round. They make bad products with bad support. I could NEVER recommend another XFX product.

Support outright ignored me, just told me to RMA then closed the ticket and keeps closing any tickets I make no matter what I am asking. I have sent back wait for it... 6 7970s (That's $300 in shipping!) and I am about to go around for a 7th round. They make bad products with bad support. I could NEVER recommend another XFX product.

Ok i guess you have a really good reason to dislike them however i have also heard many good things so i have to say i think you have just been extremely unlucky. 

Sapphire cards are good. The Vapor-X is just glorious in all its might even Thor would cream himself. The Tri-X is good too but I don't like the color scheme.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Ok i guess you have a really good reason to dislike them however i have also heard many good things so i have to say i think you have just been extremely unlucky. 

Terrible support has NOTHING to do with luck,

Terrible support has NOTHING to do with luck,

Fare enough, but at the same time i have heard of people that say the opposite, that is why i said it might just be bad luck. Sorry you had to deal with all of that though.

Stock (reference) because you can put a block on it. :P

Reference sapphire

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Fare enough, but at the same time i have heard of people that say the opposite, that is why i said it might just be bad luck. Sorry you had to deal with all of that though.

I could have bought 2nd 7970 with the amount it has cost to RMA...

The Vapour-x is the best, but the Tri-x is perfectly fine and often significantly cheaper. The PCS+ is great too

Actually on Newegg the tri-x is $420 and the vapor-x is $440

I chose tri-x over the vapour-x because theres full water blocks available for the tri-x if you want to water cool later.

I think i'm going for the vapor x, I prefer the color scheme, I don't plan on watercooling my gpu, has a backplate, cooler out of the box, and is quieter.

Actually on Newegg the tri-x is $420 and the vapor-x is $440

Here the cheapest Tri-x is about £285 and the cheapest Vapour-x is £340. The jump is just too much.

out of those ones, then the Vapor-X is the best I have tested so far, but you are missing the Powercolor PCS+ which is a fantastic R9 290 right up there with the Vapor-X so it would be one of those two.

out of those ones, then the Vapor-X is the best I have tested so far, but you are missing the Powercolor PCS+ which is a fantastic R9 290 right up there with the Vapor-X so it would be one of  those two.

Hey! I've seen your videos! If you're the same person in your profile pic that is. Really nice vids. I was looking around for a comparison of the gigabyte r9 290 and the Vapor-X but couldn't find one. And as for which card I went for, I got a EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX. I found a good deal on newegg that I could not miss out on. But thanks anyways. It really shows that the people in the forum care. Keep up the good work!

Is XFX really that bad? I'm thinking of buying it because it's much cheaper than anything else, XFX is 2600 Croatian Kuna($465) and next cheapest one is MSI Gaming at 3100kn($555) which is out of my budget. If I go for a better cooler I would have to drop to 280, and that doesn't seem very smart.

Honestly the tri-x is probably the best option, it has the most surface area for the heatsink and has more airflow.

Also using the nzxt kraken g10 might be an option if you can find a reference card cheap second-hand.

Exactly what I did lmao

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm