Crossfire 290 heat problems : G10+X40 on top card only

Virgule

Hi,

I'm having some trouble running my crossfire setup at proper temperatures, especially for the top card, which can hover around 93 oC @ 100% fan speed (see signature for parts). I was thinking of buying a NZXT Kraken G10+X40 to install on the top card.

I was wondering if running this setup for 1 of the two cards was a good idea or not. I'm not sure as to how MSafterburner will interpret the ramping of the fans/pumps with slave/master cards being different. Also, does anyone have experience with the G10/X40 (or whatever other CLWC) ? I'm wondering about the vrm cooling efficiency and the pcb cooling consequence of having to remove my current backplate.

Thanks,

Spoiler

i would say save up and just hit with a full Cutom loop for both cards just so you wont be OK with one but woried bout the other one, are they reference ??

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Did you mount the NZXT backplate or did you leave the old one (if it had a backplate)?

Maybe the X40 isn't mounted correctly.

VRM temperatures should be ok as long as you have the included fan mounted correctly..

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

i would say save up and just hit with a full Cutom loop for both cards just so you wont be OK with one but woried bout the other one, are they reference ??

They are not reference. See signature.

Also, a full custom loop is 6 times the price of a G10+X40. The bottom gpu doesn't worry me at all. It stays at 73-74 oC.

Spoiler

Did you mount the NZXT backplate or did you leave the old one (if it had a backplate)?

Maybe the X40 isn't mounted correctly.

VRM temperatures should be ok as long as you have the included fan mounted correctly..

I did not mount anything, As I said, I'm considering the idea. The point with the backplate was that it would replace a full backplate (my card) with a chip socket-only backplate (G10's).

Spoiler

I did not mount anything, As I said, I'm considering the idea. The point with the backplate was that it would replace a full backplate (my card) with a chip socket-only backplate (G10's).

Oh, lol. didn't read your post correctly  :lol:

Yes, buying a G10 with a Kraken X40 is going to significantly drop your temperatures.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Hi,

I'm having some trouble running my crossfire setup at proper temperatures, especially for the top card, which can hover around 93 oC @ 100% fan speed (see signature for parts). I was thinking of buying a NZXT Kraken G10+X40 to install on the top card.

I was wondering if running this setup for 1 of the two cards was a good idea or not. I'm not sure as to how MSafterburner will interpret the ramping of the fans/pumps with slave/master cards being different. Also, does anyone have experience with the G10/X40 (or whatever other CLWC) ? I'm wondering about the vrm cooling efficiency and the pcb cooling consequence of having to remove my current backplate.

Thanks,

How is the airflow for your case? The msi gaming 290's run at about 84 C according to a review on an open test bench. Now, considering yours are running so hot, I would have to assume you have 1 of two problems:

1: Poor case airflow isn't allowing the top card to get fresh air. If you can, move the second card down a slow or two to give the top one more airflow and add some more case fans to get the heat out.

2: Issue with the cooler. You could test this by removing the second card and run the hot card by itself. If the temps drop to a reasonable level, the cooler is fine. If not RMA it.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

They are not reference. See signature.

Also, a full custom loop is 6 times the price of a G10+X40. The bottom gpu doesn't worry me at all. It stays at 73-74 oC

.OK, i didn't mean an extreme Loop, just add anotherWater block for the second card and bridge them with and SLI fiting, how much more will a socond Blowk coast any more and wont you prefer running he second at sub 40C° as well ! come on

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Yes, buying a G10 with a Kraken X40 is going to significantly drop your temperatures.

The guy I'm buying it from says it only dropped his GB R9 280x windforce down 3 oC. I might have better results since it's a higher temperature differential that I'll be getting.

Spoiler

If you do get a G10, make sure to get vrm and memory heat sinks. If not your vrm will run way to hot with your OC.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

The guy I'm buying it from says it only dropped his GB R9 280x windforce down 3 oC. I might have better results since it's a higher temperature differential that I'll be getting.

Just know that you void your warranty if you take the cooler off.

How is the airflow for your case? The msi gaming 290's run at about 84 C according to a review on an open test bench. Now, considering yours are running so hot, I would have to assume you have 1 of two problems:

1: Poor case airflow isn't allowing the top card to get fresh air. If you can, move the second card down a slow or two to give the top one more airflow and add some more case fans to get the heat out.

2: Issue with the cooler. You could test this by removing the second card and run the hot card by itself. If the temps drop to a reasonable level, the cooler is fine. If not RMA it.

Both cards alone stay @ 73-74 oC at 100% usage / 70-80% fan (which is not a problem for me). When I CF them, the top one (regardless of which it is), goes way higher. I RMA'd one because it artifacted and changed the thermal paste on both. 

My airflow is good but not great. I'm waiting on 4 Noctua NF-F12 IPPC 3000 RPM fans to mount on my side panel pushing air directly on the cards.

Spoiler

.OK, i didn't mean an extreme Loop, just add anotherWater block for the second card and bridge them with and SLI fiting, how much more will a socond Blowk coast any more and wont you prefer running he second at sub 40C° as well ! come on

Tempting...

Spoiler

If you do get a G10, make sure to get vrm and memory heat sinks. If not your vrm will run way to hot with your OC.

can you find me a link to those little spreaders ?

Spoiler

Just know that you void your warranty if you take the cooler off.

Nope.

Spoiler

Tempting...

isn't it ? !

isn't it ? !

G10+X40 would cost me 100$ (I got my sources)

Can you give me an idea of the price for 2 waterblocks (r9 290), a pump, a res, liquid, piping and fittings ?

Spoiler

can you find me a link to those little spreaders ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011

A guy said in a review that for the 290(x) that you'd need 2 packs for all the vrms

Here's the problem I see- If you put a G10 on the top card, the bottom card will still give off a lot of heat, and while your top card's GPU temps may be reasonable, the VRM temps may not be, even with heatsinks. With just one card, the fan can keep VRM temps (mostly) under control, but with an external heat supply in addition, the VRM could be doomed.

And VRM heatsinks don't always cool as well as the stock plate BTW, two Corsair HG10's may be an option because of the bracket heatsink it has, but I wouldn't recommend only cooling one card. Full loop for both cards is still best.

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM