No boot, gpu fans only twitch.

cacra

Hey there,

I am still trying to build my first computer and up I still can't get it to boot. It turns on fine and all the fans are working along with the optical drive however the gpu fans only twitch momentarily and then stop. I can't get any output on my monitor.

I have replaced the motherboard, gpu and ram. I am confident that isn't my CPU. What should I do!? :)

Specs

Fx6300

Msi 970a g46

Gigabyte 270x

What is your PSU? I had the same problem once, turned out a faulty connector was shorting out the PSU, but in your case it could also be a lack of wattage or simply a dead unit.

I had a similar problem with a PC my friend built and he couldn't figure out what was wrong, it ended up being that he forgot the 8Pin power connector at the top left of the motherboard.

Thanks for replying. The psu is a cx500m by corsair, which is fine I think. All of the cables are in, but I'm not sure if I pushed the card hard enough into the PCIe slot - the gold sockets inside are only halfway across, should they be? I can't rule out it being a problem with me installing it as I am a massive noob! :) I will try and upload some pictures.

25079tg.jpg

swe5h1.jpg

2e2hrwx.jpg

Can anyone see anything wrong?

Thanks for replying. The psu is a cx500m by corsair, which is fine I think. All of the cables are in, but I'm not sure if I pushed the card hard enough into the PCIe slot - the gold sockets inside are only halfway across, should they be? I can't rule out it being a problem with me installing it as I am a massive noob! :) I will try and upload some pictures.

The card is fully in when you hear/feel click from socket secure clip (blue curve on lower pics right side). If you can lift card away from socket gently, then its not in place. This sound more like power issue to me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

check your mobo manual about the RAM slots.  Might need to be in the black slots instead of blue.

check your mobo manual about the RAM compatibility.

check your CPU power headers.  8-pin/4-pin etc.  Normally top left corner of Mobo.  The cables from the PSU are labelled as 'CPU' or 'PCIe'.  Make sure you have the cable 'CPU' as the wiring is different and can cause failure.  PCIe should 'ONLY' go to cards that slot in the PCIe slots.

From experience, POST failure is mainly due to incorrect RAM seating.  If you try removing RAM and re-inserting it does it POST?  These kinds of issues generally occur when transporting your PC.  Either moving house/going to lan, etc. etc. etc.

FYI... to insert RAM you should push down on the heatspreader instead of forcing the clips in place.  Sounds bad but just push the RAM down, applying pressure with your hands in the middle of the RAM stick until you hear the 'click'.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

The RAM is in the correct slot and the secure slip is on. All 4 CPU phase lights are on and the correct wires are in the correct sockets. I did try replacing the PSU, but I did it with another 500w non-modular one. I am pretty sure 500w is more then enough for the system, although I could be wrong - 270xs aren't exactly crazy on power consumption. 

I was getting pretty desperate so I tried taking it into the local computer superstore - they didn't know what was wrong with it and still charged me my deposit!  :angry:

i personally would say dead psu i had one die in the past, what happens is the mobo turns the psu on it senses a rail is too high voltage or too low and powers down the psu. If not any error beep codes? Try removing hardware/use onbard graphics

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Try using the onboard video out without the GPU first. Try with only one stick of ram and try them in each slot. Make sure every power connection is properly secure (it MUST click or hooked). Check the CPU cooler is actually hot as in it is making proper contact with CPU.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

The MSI 970a doesn't come with onboard graphics unfortunately. I am pretty sure the PSU isn't dead, I have tried two different ones - although I cannot test to see if they both work yet. I have tried switching the ram completely with a different stick and still had the same issue. The thermal paste on the CPU is dry, but I was facing the same issue before and it shouldn't make any difference for short periods of time.

I am really at a complete loss, I have absolutely no idea what to do D: 

Well since you've replaced the motherboard, GPU and Ram. And tried another PSU. It can only be the CPU.

As Spock and Sherlock Holmes once said "when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  :P 

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Check you have the right leads running from the PSU to the components. My cousin had this problem and it turned out he ran a 6pin -> molex to power a fan. The cpu and gpu fans would twitch and make a click noise, then not boot.

Well since you've replaced the motherboard, GPU and Ram. And tried another PSU. It can only be the CPU.

As Spock and Sherlock Holmes once said "when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  :P 

But I don't understand how, all the CPU phase lights are on and the motherboard should beep if there is a problem with the CPU :(

Check you have the right leads running from the PSU to the components. My cousin had this problem and it turned out he ran a 6pin -> molex to power a fan. The cpu and gpu fans would twitch and make a click noise, then not boot.

Yeah, it is all sound on that regard.

Update if anyone is interested.

I tried using one stick of ram again and the PC booted once. It refused to boot again, I tested the PSU and the 5v wire isn't working which doesn't explain why my PC booted with only one stick of RAM. Long story short... wtf

• 6 years later...

Did you ever end up figuring out what the issue is?