Zenimax sues Oculus VR [Update2:Oculus replies]

Rafy

Oculus VR and its founder Palmer Luckey has been sued by ZeniMax Media and id Software over claims it illegally misappropriated the company's trade secrets. The lawsuit, which was filed in a Texas court today, accuses Palmer and company of breaching contract, and unfair competition.

Facebook announced plans to purchase Oculus VR, the company that makes the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, for $2 billion in March. Weeks later, letters from ZeniMax were sent to Oculus and Facebook, claiming video game programmer John Carmack (who worked for Oculus) used technology it had developed in-house. Included in that was a non-disclosure and non-ownership agreement signed by Carmack two years ago that covered VR technology, a detail that's included in the complaint.

"Intellectual property forms the foundation of our business," ZeniMax CEO Robert Altman said in a statement. "We cannot ignore the unlawful exploitation of intellectual property that we develop and own, nor will we allow misappropriation and infringement to go unaddressed."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/21/5739086/oculus-vr-and-its-founder-sued-by-zenimax-and-id-software

Update2: Oculus just replied!

"The lawsuit filed by ZeniMax has no merit whatsoever. As we have previously said, ZeniMax did not contribute to any Oculus technology. Oculus will defend these claims vigorously."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/21/oculus-vr-lawsuit/

Wonder if all the case is based about the document zenimax has whit Palmer signature

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

lol are they seriously doing this

face book lawyers will tear them apart and then post selfies

Hahaha your damn right about that.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Wonder if all the case is based about the document zenimax has whit Palmer signature

It is indeed, the Verge just updated their article. I added the info in the OP

i think they arent up to date about the facebook acquisition, because i wouldnt sue them...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I think my theory was correct: Zenimax executives just finished watching the social network on movie night and decided "Hey doesn't Carmack work for them now? Maybe we can sue, just like in the movie!"

-------

Current Rig

-------