there is any Ubuntu "flavor" that use less than 512mb of RAM ?

i know i can use Debian for this target (use less than 512)

but i am a big fan of Ubuntu  ^_^

Doesn't Lubuntu suit you?

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Lubuntu Xubuntu, do not work well with les than 512 MB

They are really slow

Maybe Ubuntu with openbox but there are other lighter alternatives.

And btw ubuntu is based on debian, and there are no real user difference aside from unity and auto updates.

Don't even consider ubuntu 64bits

64bits takes more ram

whatever you take it must be 32 bits

Forget Gnome

Like I said earlier Xubuntu will not work well.

Lubuntu might be a small fit.

You can try Lubuntu 32bits and if it takes too much ram try installing openbox.

@bac06 thanks friend  ^_^ i will do that (Lubuntu 32b)

also, it looks a bit like the old windows xp (perfect for replace it)  :wub:

What do you mean by "less than 512Mb", is that 256 or 128?

Don't get mad, get even...

Use a 32-bit flavor, and also switch to a lighter desktop environment. You could consider Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Or if you want to go super light, you can jump all the way down to something like Puppy Linux. There's also CrunchBang which is Debian based and uses OpenBox. So it might be a smidge lighter on resources than Ubuntu.

What do you mean by "less than 512Mb", is that 256 or 128?

the target machines have (almost all) 512mb of ram 

and Lubuntu 32b ask for 384mb, so all fits well there (yey)

is an ex windows xp machine  :ph34r:

Use a 32-bit flavor, and also switch to a lighter desktop environment. You could consider Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Or if you want to go super light, you can jump all the way down to something like Puppy Linux. There's also CrunchBang which is Debian based and uses OpenBox. So it might be a smidge lighter on resources than Ubuntu.

yea, i have test puppy and debian, they are cool

but puppy is to light (it doesn't feels like a true OS)

and debian (the king of king lol, and long live the king debian btw) is too too much :blush: for a new Linux member

so, i want (or... i need lol) a true Ubuntu OS family member

and Lubuntu looks perfect :wub: for this new Linux friend

(and ex windows xp member)  <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new there (and french, so, sorry for my english lol)... I just wanted to ask a question :

I did the update from Xubuntu 13.10 (which was very satisfying) to 14.04 (update from OS, not a new fresh install), but since then, it looks like Xubuntu is using far more RAM (+256/512) than before, is this normal ?

While under 13.10, I barely used more than 1000/1200Mo (with almost no swap usage) while doing standard stuff like having a couple of browser tabs open, skype, thunderbird... but now, I'm almost always above 1500Mo + swap usage... right now I'm at 1800Mo + 500 swap, with 7 Chrome tabs, skype... and that's all (feels like going back to Windows days lol) !

Here's my config :

Core 2 Duo e7500 (3Ghz)

2Go DDR2 RAM

nvidia GT 610 2Go

Hi, I'm new there (and french, so, sorry for my english lol)... I just wanted to ask a question :

I did the update from Xubuntu 13.10 (which was very satisfying) to 14.04 (update from OS, not a new fresh install), but since then, it looks like Xubuntu is using far more RAM (+256/512) than before, is this normal ?

While under 13.10, I barely used more than 1000/1200Mo (with almost no swap usage) while doing standard stuff like having a couple of browser tabs open, skype, thunderbird... but now, I'm almost always above 1500Mo + swap usage... right now I'm at 1800Mo + 500 swap, with 7 Chrome tabs, skype... and that's all (feels like going back to Windows days lol) !

Here's my config :

Core 2 Duo e7500 (3Ghz)

2Go DDR2 RAM

nvidia GT 610 2Go

Unity is a resource hog, switch to xfce

But I'm using Xubuntu, which means xfce, isn't it ?

Here's my config :

Core 2 Duo e7500 (3Ghz)

2Go DDR2 RAM

nvidia GT 610 2Go

wow that is a lot of ram use friend (for Xubuntu 32 bits)

i use (on my netbook) with "2GB" (like you) and Ubuntu 14.04 "64 bits"

(yep, i install the 64 instead the 32 and all work perfect)

340MB (here is a screenshot, check R side)

Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202014-05-0

But I'm using Xubuntu, which means xfce, isn't it ?

Yes it does, for xfce that seems like a bit much.

open up a terminal and type in htop, if you don't have it installed, sudo apt-get install htop

It's a task manager, sort it by memory usage and figure out what's taking up so much ram

oh, now i remember, i use the firefox of 14.04 intead chrome or chromium (they are "using more ram" for now)

try just firefox for some days and check the ram use  :)

You're right 7850OC,  it's Chrome which uses so much RAM ! I saw that with htop (thanks to MrBucket101) :)

I'll try to stick to Firefox for a moment, I hope it will be better, thanks ;)

You're right 7850OC,  it's Chrome which uses so much RAM ! I saw that with htop (thanks to MrBucket101) :)

I'll try to stick to Firefox for a moment, I hope it will be better, thanks ;)

and welcome to the forum new friend  ^_^ is the best place in the world

Well, you can try manjaro with openbox