First Client Build Project!

Pixel_Vision

You'd be surpirsed what most computer Technicians make per hour. Most more than 50-60 an hour. 300 dollars isn't a far cry for what it would cost. OP is in the business to make money. Not to give some guy a build where he makes just over minimum wage. You all look at this from a i could build it myself stand point. OP isn't actually charging much. When you think of it to get a custom desktop you're looking 150-175 just for data backup and transfer plus setup. Plus about 100 bucks to build and taxes. That's 300 right there. OP is actually giving guy a pretty good deal. 

But OP is not a computer technician. He has just ripped off some guy by selling him a $1000 PC that is worth well less than that. 

Go to NCIX or NewEgg and you can get a better custom built system. Look. 

http://secure.ncixus.com/ncixpc/ncixpc_print.cfm?uuid=7D874E32-B45C-4971-AB08AE823B5BDE0A-5760916&skulist=96692|1-89854|1-33130|1-91117|1-78421|1-94339|1-92429|1-36517|1-63468|1-36072|1-93948|1-33602|1-33601|1-7842|1-6024|1

Go down and look at how much they charge to build a system. $30.

OP is ripping the guy off, charging 10x the amount.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Go down and look at how much they charge to build a system. $30.

OP is ripping the guy off, charging 10x the amount.

I could give a toss about the rest of this thread, but your argument is highly flawed.

The reason that NCIX can "only charge $30", is that they have margins built into the price of every single piece of hardware the buyer has to buy from them.

Sure, they're taking a small hit on the assembly part of it, but overall they're making money hand over fist. If you don't think NCIX sells stuff with profits in the vicinity of 30%, you're off your rocker.

The OP does not have the luxury of buying hardware at cost price - he's buying full retail, and as such does not have a buffer that allows him to absorb the cost of actually doing the work.

Now that the logical fallacy is resolved - I have no idea if the price charged was fair, I haven't research if the components were the right choice, and I just don't care. 

I just like things to be logical.

Too much is never enough.

I could give a toss about the rest of this thread, but your argument is highly flawed.

The reason that NCIX can "only charge $30", is that they have margins built into the price of every single piece of hardware the buyer has to buy from them.

Sure, they're taking a small hit on the assembly part of it, but overall they're making money hand over fist. If you don't think NCIX sells stuff with profits in the vicinity of 30%, you're off your rocker.

The OP does not have the luxury of buying hardware at cost price - he's buying full retail, and as such does not have a buffer that allows him to absorb the cost of actually doing the work.

Now that the logical fallacy is resolved - I have no idea if the price charged was fair, I haven't research if the components were the right choice, and I just don't care. 

I just like things to be logical.

Well of course, I'm not saying that OP should charge $30 as well, but to charge $330 is overboard. 

If he wanted to charge $60 or even $100, then your point would be valid, but that is not the case. He is charging $330 for what is one or two hours of work. That is ridiculous and should be shamed. 

When you can get a better system at NCIX for $350 less, I would be asking lots of questions too. Even if he adds on the soundcards to the NCIX system, it's still a good $250 less or so. He gets NCIX warranty on top of that as well. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

so wow, much rip off.

It good and all to build a rig for others. But its not okay to completely rip off a guy with no background and make a huge profit for probably 4 hours of your time 

Micro-atx with atx case and 330$ just for the build? wow

First off all, READ BEFORE YOU POST! I CLEARLY STATED LESS THAN $1000. I got $200. I had to deal with his old computer, dispose of it for him, which i donated to a shelter. Shop and choose his hardware out for him by his request. Build his PC. Drive all the way to his house, which was in Northern Californa, which i live in Southern California. THAT'S MY GAS I'M USING... Don't sit here and tell me I ripped him off. If anything I saved him a lot of money.

so wow, much rip off.

It good and all to build a rig for others. But its not okay to completely rip off a guy with no background and make a huge profit for probably 4 hours of your time 

First off all, READ BEFORE YOU POST! I CLEARLY STATED LESS THAN $1000. I got $200. I had to deal with his old computer, dispose of it for him, which i donated to a shelter. Shop and choose his hardware out for him by his request. Build his PC. Drive all the way to his house, which was in Northern Californa, which i live in Southern California. THAT'S MY GAS I'M USING... Don't sit here and tell me I ripped him off. If anything I saved him a lot of money.

Well of course, I'm not saying that OP should charge $30 as well, but to charge $330 is overboard. 

If he wanted to charge $60 or even $100, then your point would be valid, but that is not the case. He is charging $330 for what is one or two hours of work. That is ridiculous and should be shamed. 

When you can get a better system at NCIX for $350 less, I would be asking lots of questions too. Even if he adds on the soundcards to the NCIX system, it's still a good $250 less or so. He gets NCIX warranty on top of that as well. 

First off all, READ BEFORE YOU POST! I CLEARLY STATED LESS THAN $1000. I got $200. I had to deal with his old computer, dispose of it for him, which i donated to a shelter. Shop and choose his hardware out for him by his request. Build his PC. Drive all the way to his house, which was in Northern Californa, which i live in Southern California. THAT'S MY GAS I'M USING... Don't sit here and tell me I ripped him off. If anything I saved him a lot of money.

You'd be surpirsed what most computer Technicians make per hour. Most more than 50-60 an hour. 300 dollars isn't a far cry for what it would cost. OP is in the business to make money. Not to give some guy a build where he makes just over minimum wage. You all look at this from a i could build it myself stand point. OP isn't actually charging much. When you think of it to get a custom desktop you're looking 150-175 just for data backup and transfer plus setup. Plus about 100 bucks to build and taxes. That's 300 right there. OP is actually giving guy a pretty good deal. 

THANK YOU! Someone with some sense and logic around here.

You didn't save him money, he could have gotten a better system for $1000 from NCIX or NewEgg, shipped straight to his door. Or he could have gotten the same system for far less money.

It's not hard to get rid of an old computer, just chuck it on your kerb and some kid will usually pick it up to bring it home and have a play. Or just donate it to the Op Shop. 

Don't believe me? Let's settle this. 

ruo3dl.png

From NCIX, including assembly, free shipping right to his door, less than $700, $300 less than what you charged him. Hard drive is bigger too, plus NCIX gives a 1 year warranty.

You. Ripped. Him. Off. 

nice profit margin on a shit computer for the price range. I feel bad for people who don't know what they are paying for. This is almost as bad as if he bought a mac

THANK YOU! Someone with some sense and logic around here.

I'm not even going to bother with the folks flaming you right now. No sense talking to a brick wall. But after doing as you "asked" (should probably try to collect yourself, you're understandably upset.) I made sure I fully read your post and tend to agree with DarrenP, you gave him a bit of a deal in comparison to most repair shops. That being said I'm not sure I'm completely on board with those standard industry prices. I also want to make clear I don't think the industry grossly overcharges, just slightly exorbitant in a very general sense.

That all being said, you DO NOT deserve all of this vitriol being thrown your way. Even if one was to glaze over whatever effort was required to get rid of the old computer or set up software, there were definitely elements that needed to be accounted for. The build itself being one but perhaps more importantly the drive over to the client. California is a big ass state, not to mention one of the most expensive for gas. If you are traveling half way up and down the state you could be talking hundreds of miles round trip. Before you know it you could be looking at a gas bill of 60 bucks or more. Then some of you may say the remainder is still too much because places like ncix will build it for 50 bucks and send it to me. Well there is a reason why they can do that. One being that they are a very large company that can afford to take smaller profit margins that a small business can't do because things like overhead are a bigger issue for them. Second is because you are buying the parts directly from them and the prices you are paying on certain components are set to make sure to offset whatever costs are incurred to subsidize the actual building of the computer. And as far as less than optimal part selection, well that can be a subjective subject and what one person sees as more important in a build another may see as less of a priority. At worst you might reasonably chalk it up to inexperience but not necessarily outright deceit.

Ok so maybe some of my post is directed at some of the flamers. Despite the brick wall. :-) I can't say I completely agree with standard I dusty prices but this guy is definitely not a crook.

I'm not even going to bother with the folks flaming you right now. No sense talking to a brick wall. But after doing as you "asked" (should probably try to collect yourself, you're understandably upset.) I made sure I fully read your post and tend to agree with DarrenP, you gave him a bit of a deal in comparison to most repair shops. That being said I'm not sure I'm completely on board with those standard industry prices. I also want to make clear I don't think the industry grossly overcharges, just slightly exorbitant in a very general sense.

That all being said, you DO NOT deserve all of this vitriol being thrown your way. Even if one was to glaze over whatever effort was required to get rid of the old computer or set up software, there were definitely elements that needed to be accounted for. The build itself being one but perhaps more importantly the drive over to the client. California is a big ass state, not to mention one of the most expensive for gas. If you are traveling half way up and down the state you could be talking hundreds of miles round trip. Before you know it you could be looking at a gas bill of 60 bucks or more. Then some of you may say the remainder is still too much because places like ncix will build it for 50 bucks and send it to me. Well there is a reason why they can do that. One being that they are a very large company that can afford to take smaller profit margins that a small business can't do because things like overhead are a bigger issue for them. Second is because you are buying the parts directly from them and the prices you are paying on certain components are set to make sure to offset whatever costs are incurred to subsidize the actual building of the computer. And as far as less than optimal part selection, well that can be a subjective subject and what one person sees as more important in a build another may see as less of a priority. At worst you might reasonably chalk it up to inexperience but not necessarily outright deceit.

Ok so maybe some of my post is directed at some of the flamers. Despite the brick wall. :-) I can't say I completely agree with standard I dusty prices but this guy is definitely not a crook.

Sorry. I completely disagree with you. I know you're just defending OP, but his actions are despicable.

When you charge $300 more than somebody else, it is a rip off. 

You can go to store A and they will charge you $700, store B charges you $1000 for the EXACT same product. It doesn't matter the effort that store B has to go through to get you your product, nor does it matter whether store B is a large or small retailer, store B is ripping you off because they are charging you far more than what store A is. 

It's that plain and simple. This guy can chuck up all the excuses he wants. But it still doesn't change the fact that he grossly overcharged this guy to build a computer for him. Let's break it down. 

The computer, direct from NCIX, built by NCIX and with a 1 year warranty costs less than $700. But let's just say it's $700. OP has charged less than $1000, I'll take that to mean $950. That's a $250 markup. What does he do?

1) Installs OS - which NCIX will do for free

2) Installs software - which the client can do by himself unless he's an idiot

3) Disposes of old system - client can just chuck it on his kerb or take it to an OP shop

4) Backs up data + transfer - take it to a computer store and they'll do it for < $50 if you're building a PC with them

So yes, OP is clearly ripping this guy off and should be ashamed of himself. He is no better than the fluffy "technicians" who charged $100 to remove viruses from the computers of those who didn't know better. You are taking advantage of the fact that your client doesn't know anything about computers, I bet he doesn't know that he can get the system he is getting for less than $700 at NCIX. You are ripping him off, OP, and what is worse is that you don't even acknowledge that you are ripping him off. Rip off.

And as to everyone who is defending the OP, yeah, fine, justify it however you want, but let's all accept his client could have gotten a significantly better price elsewhere. 

I'm not going to say anything about the labour costs, as I really don't want to add more fuel to the fire, nor do I know how much it cost you in gas to drive and set up the machine for him. However, I can't help but think that something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($243.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: TASCAM US-322 2-In/2-Out USB Audio Interface ($99.99)
Total: $702.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-19 09:54 EDT-0400)

or with an i5 even if you wanted to save money, would have been a better option for him if the computer is like you said, only for music production and with him wanting a small build. Just a suggestion if you get more clients with those specific wants in the future.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

wow, how many of you people in this thread even own a computer business ?

you did way more for your client then you had to, could have just said that he would have to pick it. after all your taking time out of your busy schedule to deliver HIS computer.

and why are you guys arguing about the parts, I am pretty sure they discussed what the client wanted and went over the parts for it.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

First off all, READ BEFORE YOU POST! I CLEARLY STATED LESS THAN $1000. I got $200. I had to deal with his old computer, dispose of it for him, which i donated to a shelter. Shop and choose his hardware out for him by his request. Build his PC. Drive all the way to his house, which was in Northern Californa, which i live in Southern California. THAT'S MY GAS I'M USING... Don't sit here and tell me I ripped him off. If anything I saved him a lot of money. These people must be fucking stupid or something. Anywhere else would've charged him waaay more for what services I provided my client. Don't sit here and fucking tell me I ripped him off, not in a long shot. STFU You ignorant fools...

I guess this is one way to show your professional abilities for a client's build and build log or for any professional abilities at all for that matter.Dont get me wrong, I understand you are defending yourself but man, you really need to learn the way of professionalism or you will never get any clients other then friends and family.

Always remember, this is the internet, you will get some criticism at times, but do not take it to heart. Always keep a professional manner no matter how much it eats at you, because that is what can make you or break you.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "