Google Details Ara Module Developers Kit 1.0, Outs Design Guidelines

qwertywarrior

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/8243/google-details-ara-module-developers-kit-1-0-outs-design-guidelines.html

we are one step closer to Google's Project Ara conference, to be held in the middle of this month.here one of the hot features

Users of an Ara phone will be able to power their device with one or multiple batteries; they will be able to swap a depleted battery with a fresh one, without powering off their phone; they will be able to charge one or more batteries in their phone from one or multiple charging devices.

8243-4848e1bd_680_400.jpg

8243-daf888b4_640_482.jpg

8243-c7a13b90_550_415.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm so very curious as to how modular the device actually is. Can I forgo a camera completely to add a 1x2 extra battery module? can I switch out a 1x1 module that's meant for bluetooth with extra storage or possibly a co-processor?

I'm so very curious as to how modular the device actually is. Can I forgo a camera completely to add a 1x2 extra battery module? can I switch out a 1x1 module that's meant for bluetooth with extra storage or possibly a co-processor?

probably not as much as you described.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

The idea is to get everything working over the same bus, so if it follows to original phoneblocks idea then yes, you would be able to do just that

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Except that I bet other manufacturers don't support it

Like say somebody wanted screen from apple, camera from sony, speakers from htc, keyboard from nokia 

Are these manufacturers really going to support this? this is the reason razers modular PC idea was shelved, nobody was interested in making modules for it

If google plan to make all the modules themselves it could work but I am not so sure. Also how hot swappable are these pieces. Can I have 3 camera modules? or are there limits to the combinations 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Except that I bet other manufacturers don't support it

Like say somebody wanted screen from apple, camera from sony, speakers from htc, keyboard from nokia

Are these manufacturers really going to support this? this is the reason razers modular PC idea was shelved, nobody was interested in making modules for it

If google plan to make all the modules themselves it could work but I am not so sure. Also how hot swappable are these pieces. Can I have 3 camera modules? or are there limits to the combinations

the reason the razer thing was shelved was isn t only because it was modular,

don t forget the volumenof sales, face it not the many people would h ve bought it meaning the cost for making the tools would. not have been covered.

this tho is google and a phone design, way more customer already. now we re talking about disposable phone parts meaning people would buy more constantly, again way more customers.

on to another topic,

the whole point of ara is to mix parts from different people so if the manifacturers don t support it, they just won t be making a part in the firsf place.

and yes google wants you to be able to put any module at any place(except the screen), watch the ara conference video)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

And please make a battery module that is as large as the phone itself, being able to be snapped onto the back. I don't mind my phone being thicker if i can significantly increase the battery life. Nowadays phones can't even run >6 hours continuously on mobile data + games/web and high brightness.

And please make a battery module that is as large as the phone itself, being able to be snapped onto the back. I don't mind my phone being thicker if i can significantly increase the battery life. Nowadays phones can't even run >6 hours continuously on mobile data + games/web and high brightness.

well some can,

a s3/s4/note2/note3 with a zero lemon battery is what you want.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I for one am very interested to see this develop. I'm not going to take a stand on wether or not this will turn out to be a succes or fail, but I'm curious to say the least.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD