Strange 780 problem

James199001
Go to solution Solved by James199001,

problem sorted, im so happy right now that i dont have to rma my card. I downloaded the previous drivesr for my card and did a clean install with them, played red faction guerila because it seems to happen most on that game and dead island riptide, it didnt have a problem.

There must have been a conflict between the newest nvidia drivers and others on my pc.

Thanks for all your help anyway people.

now how do i delete this thread or does a mod do it?

Heres my problem,

I got the 780 new about 1-2 months ago, about 2 weeks ago i noticed that whilst gaming the screen would disconect briefly (like 2 seconds) every 1-2 hours.

I ignored the problem as i thought it may just be a glitch of some kind but in the last 3 days it has started doing it every 1 to 10 mins whilst gaming, it also does it whilst not gaming, it did it twice whilst writing this already.

Firstly i blamed it on my monitor, because i have a 2 monitor setup and only the primary monitor would have the problem but after swaping them around it is still the primary monitor that suffers no matter what monitor i use.

I have already tried different ports on the 780 so im sure it isnt a bad dvi conection problem.

I have tried using another PCI slot on my asus sabertooth z87 but the problem is still there so it isnt a pci problem.

The power supply i am using is a ocz zs 750W 80+ bronze so im sure its not that.

The graphics card never reaches over 70c

I tried a clean install of graphics drivers too but no luck

Because of all of this I would say it is a bad chip or bad solder on the chip but would like somebody elses idea on what it could be, I dont want to rma it and find that its not the gpu thats the problem.

all my specs are here, all parts are about 1-2 months old except from the hard drive and ssd there about 20 months old, the psu is just under 12 months old

CPU: I5-4670K (Quad core @ 3.4hz) 

Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked 

RAM: 8GB (2X4GB) Kingston HyperX Beast @ 1600Mhz 

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 

Power supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 

Storage: 60GB Kingston SSD & 1TB Hitachi HDD 

Monitors: 27" BENQ GW2760 & 23" DGM L-2362WD 

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 

Case: NZXT Phantom 530

James

post-61251-0-79790300-1396729256_thumb.j

Unrelated, but I couldn't help but notice your rear fan is pulling in air. Do you have ANY exhaust?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have the same issue with my 560 Ti.

Might be heat.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Unrelated, but I couldn't help but notice your rear fan is pulling in air. Do you have ANY exhaust?

I was planing on putting in A h100 I and herd it would be good that way

I was planing on putting in A h100 I and herd it would be good that way

So you have zero active exhaust then? 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have the same issue with my 560 Ti.

Might be heat.

i just ran a burn in test on fur mark and the teml leveled out at about 75c

So you have zero active exhaust then? 

2 120 exhaust fans on the top

2 120 exhaust fans on the top

Ok, you worried me for a second. 

Ok, you worried me for a second. 

you dont need active exhaust

its better without because you can get a greater positive air pressure

thats why most people put the rear fan as an intake, because the top fans/rad is usually exhaust

if you have intake, the air gets pushed out automatically with no need of exhaust fans

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you dont need active exhaust

its better without because you can get a greater positive air pressure

thats why most people put the rear fan as an intake, because the top fans/rad is usually exhaust

if you have intake, the air gets pushed out automatically with no need of exhaust fans

I'm not even going to bother arguing this because it's one that will never be settled.

could it be a problem with the ram, mobo or cpu? or is it most likely the gpu?

I feel the issue could be the heat

on the nvidia website it says this card can take 95c, i monitor my temps whilst gaming and it never goes over 70c

I feel the issue could be the heat

Also the fact that it happens whilst not gaming rules out heat does it not, it happened twice whilst i was making this thread and all i had open was this page

im going to try the previous driver version, see if that does anything, will report back later.

problem sorted, im so happy right now that i dont have to rma my card. I downloaded the previous drivesr for my card and did a clean install with them, played red faction guerila because it seems to happen most on that game and dead island riptide, it didnt have a problem.

There must have been a conflict between the newest nvidia drivers and others on my pc.

threads just stay up forever

the point of a forum is so that people can search for solutions to their problems in LTT or google

and then they can find someone like you who has had the same problem, and also resolved

this thread helps others fix the same problem :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should however mark the post with the solution with the "mark as solved" button