New Psu for the future?

BloodWithIce

Hey guys, I have a tx750m and I really want to go with oc GTX 780 sli while keeping my cpu overclock. I don't think I will be able to run everything with 750w. What would you recommend?

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

Hey guys, I have a tx750m and I really want to go with oc GTX 780 sli while keeping my cpu overclock. I don't think I will be able to run everything with 750w. What would you recommend?

800 Watts if possible.. if doubted use 1200W

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

800 Watts if possible.. if doubted use 1200W

1200w is way too much, 850w would be good.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

750W 80+bronze will indeed be a bit close.. it would work, but you will push the psu up to its limits.

I would recommend a 850W just to have more headroom. like the corsair RM850, HX850 XFX 850W pro. Coolermaster V850. seasonic gold, Enermax..etc etc.

You can still run SLI with that psu with an OC'd cpu no worries.

With default bios at 100% load on both 780's you're looking at 520~ watts for both cards with the TDP slider at 106% and 1.2 volts.

Odds are in games the 780's will never be at complete load for the vram+gpu, so you're looking at ~400 watts for both cards in gaming situations, topping out at maybe 450.

Your cpu is probably.. ~160 during prime 95. Odds are in games it won't get above 90.

That's a grand total of around 700 if your PC was running like.. furmark + mining + prime95 at the same time.

In games it'd only be around 450-600 watts depending on how well the game is optimized.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes 1200 watts is way too much. I suggest checking out Cooler Master's power supply wattage calculator and kind of get an idea of what you might need. (take the results with a grain of salt cause depending on the quality of power supply you could be looking at a false wattage delivery and damage your components.That being said,going overkill on a power supply all the time will actually cause more unnecessary power to be drawn from your wall. Plus it's a waist of money unless you plan on buying more hardware really soon. I'd go Around 650-750 watts but don't know whats in your rig.

In my opinnion his corsair TX750 80+bronze is tight for a GTX780sli OC and a cpu OC. because the psu is only 80% effective. that means that it can deliver 600W effectively... if it was a 80+gold or platinum then yes 750W would be enough..comfortly... But the 80+bronze, will get pushed to its limits, offcourse your system will not be on full load every time, so its basicly, enough, but still it gets pushed.

Wrong. This s a missconception. Every quality PSU delivers th amount of wattage that it is marketed with. 80+ Bronze or 80+ Titanium won't make a diffrence in this case. 

Wrong. This s a missconception. Every quality PSU delivers th amount of wattage that it is marketed with. 80+ Bronze or 80+ Titanium won't make a diffrence in this case. 

Yup i was wrong, my bad :D

I really wanted to go fully modular to be able to buy different sleeved cables too. So I was thinking maybe RM850 or AX860i

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:

I disagree, but im not gonne discuss about it lol, probably never heard about rendement.

But my point is his psu good enough, basicly yes, but it will get pushed.

Dude how can you disagree? It's a fact. 

On the cooler master psu calculator, it says 720w without cpu overclock.

COOLING:

In my opinnion his corsair TX750 80+bronze is tight for a GTX780sli OC and a cpu OC. because the psu is only 80% effective. that means that it can deliver 600W effectively... if it was a 80+gold or platinum then yes 750W would be enough..comfortly... But the 80+bronze, will get pushed to its limits, offcourse your system will not be on full load every time, so its basicly, enough, but still it gets pushed.

Okay.. You have power in & power out. Power in is whats pulling from the wall and power out what your pc actually consumes.

A 80% efficiency would mean, for example your psu pulls 1000W from the wall and your components only use 800W. Power supplies are rated for the power out, not for the power in. So the TX750 can deliver 750w perfectly without a hassle but it will pull around 900W from the wall with a 80% efficiency. What the difference would be between a bronze & platinum psu is that the platinum one would pull around 820-850W to deliver 750W and therefore the psu runs cooler and obviously can allow the psu run quieter.

If they would have been rated for the power in, they all would have been false advertized you know..

With default bios at 100% load on both 780's you're looking at 520~ watts for both cards with the TDP slider at 106% and 1.2 volts.

Odds are in games the 780's will never be at complete load for the vram+gpu, so you're looking at ~400 watts for both cards in gaming situations, topping out at maybe 450.

Your cpu is probably.. ~160 during prime 95. Odds are in games it won't get above 90.

#1That's a grand total of around 700 if your PC was running like.. furmark + mining + prime95 at the same time.

#2In games it'd only be around 450-600 watts depending on how well the game is optimized.

Hmm, the P2's hybrid mode is a nice indicator of your power draw :P

I don't really understand why people spec their psu for the max power draw when their system during normal usage cant even reach 60% of the max power draw. Spec your psu for what you do, not for the max power draw unless you're a miner but you must be stupid to use a cpu for mining as well.

On the cooler master psu calculator, it says 720w without cpu overclock.

Yeah.. That calculator is stupid. You pick a fulltower over a midtower without any components changes it adds 100W >.< Like 2-5 extra fans are going to consume 100W

@Op a 750w is more than enough, I'm having a hard time getting over 500-600W with a 3930K that pulls nearly twice as much power as your cpu.

Any competent PSU would be rated at DC power rather than AC power, while the efficiency rating dictates how much electricity you may be saving (not how much it is capable of supplying). So if it is rated at 750w, it will supply 750w DC. Being a bronze unit, the TX750 will be drawing ~910w AC from the wall, while a gold unit PSU would be drawing ~860w AC.

As for it being "pushed" or whatever, that really depends on the unit. There's a reason why a unit such as the Antec Signature 650w bronze unit is capable of supplying 800wDC+ of excess power, while the Earthwatt Platinum 650w is design to shut off ate around ~770wDC and not design to cope with such a load in practice.

while keeping my cpu overclock.

Well, when adding a GPU, there will obviously be an increase in load but as well as a drop in voltages. The larger voltages drop of the PSU may cause the VRM for your CPU and such to work harder, and in turn drive the operating voltage up. This may cause your overclock to no longer be stable at the setting you have set. There have been people who upgraded their PSU that no longer able to maintain their overclock as "not being enough wattage-wise", when they could have been fine by adjusting the voltages up a notch.

snip

The hybrid mode goes off temps right 45c = fan turns on?

I have my bottom rads fans pointed right at it, the only time it ever turns on is after like 2+ hours of games, and I can see it barely spinning.  Realistically my 24/7 4.5 ghz and ~1150 mhz 780s only pull maybe 550-750 in games.   Benching at 5ghz and 1320 mhz @ 1.325v probably come pretty close to 1,000 though, planning on buying a kill-a-watt soon to test.  Although Idk if I can do any more 5 ghz runs, last time I tried it, it took 1.592 volts lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have my bottom rads fans pointed right at it, the only time it ever turns on is after like 2+ hours of games, and I can see it barely spinning.  Realistically my 24/7 4.5 ghz and ~1150 mhz 780s only pull maybe 550-750 in games.   Benching at 5ghz and 1320 mhz @ 1.325v probably come pretty close to 1,000 though, planning on buying a kill-a-watt soon to test.  Although Idk if I can do any more 5 ghz runs, last time I tried it, it took 1.592 volts lol

Sec gonna take sidepanel off and blow a fan to it

Just putted a nf-f12 2" away from the psu, mining with 2 780's at 100% TDP and 3930K@4.5GHz 1.35V at 100% that would make around 700-800W the fan doesnt kick in at all. Without a nf-f12 pointed at the psu, the psu's fan kicks in so yeah seems to be pretty much temperature based only and not load.

Sec gonna take sidepanel off and blow a fan to it

Just putted a nf-f12 2" away from the psu, mining with 2 780's at 100% TDP and 3930K@4.5GHz 1.35V at 100% that would make around 700-800W the fan doesnt kick in at all. Without a nf-f12 pointed at the psu, the psu's fan kicks in so yeah seems to be pretty much temperature based only and not load.

Yeah I notice it takes a REALLY long time for that fan to kick on with my GT blowing air through the rad into the PSU.

God dang i love this PSU though :D

Dude how can you disagree? It's a fact. 

ah gosh you right, i mixed something up lol my bad sorry :D

Okay.. You have power in & power out. Power in is whats pulling from the wall and power out what your pc actually consumes.

A 80% efficiency would mean, for example your psu pulls 1000W from the wall and your components only use 800W. Power supplies are rated for the power out, not for the power in. So the TX750 can deliver 750w perfectly without a hassle but it will pull around 900W from the wall with a 80% efficiency. What the difference would be between a bronze & platinum psu is that the platinum one would pull around 820-850W to deliver 750W and therefore the psu runs cooler and obviously can allow the psu run quieter.

If they would have been rated for the power in, they all would have been false advertized you know..

Hmm, the P2's hybrid mode is a nice indicator of your power draw :P

I don't really understand why people spec their psu for the max power draw when their system during normal usage cant even reach 60% of the max power draw. Spec your psu for what you do, not for the max power draw unless you're a miner but you must be stupid to use a cpu for mining as well.

Yeah.. That calculator is stupid. You pick a fulltower over a midtower without any components changes it adds 100W >.< Like 2-5 extra fans are going to consume 100W

@Op a 750w is more than enough, I'm having a hard time getting over 500-600W with a 3930K that pulls nearly twice as much power as your cpu.

Yeah you are right, i was wrong, i mixed somethings up. my bad lol sorry :D

just ignore my crap.. ;)