Inwin 901 Review

applebook

I rarely write reviews, but since there's plenty of interest surrounding this case and not much end user information right now, I'd like to share my thoughts.

After price matching Newegg, Memory Express beat their price, and I picked mine up for $179.99 CDN plus taxes. At this price, the 901 is a solid deal, but it could have been a better value if there were at least a single fan included. A bonus is that there are pre-wired SATA and SATA power cables for the two 3.5" and the slim optical drives though.

Inwin did an exceptional job with the build quality of their case. The brushed exterior is flawless, and there are no sharp edges anywhere. The edges of the back panel are even chamfered/bevelled like on a fine watch. All black, the interior appears to be steel and is extremely rigid. Both tempered glass panels have smooth edges also. My only complaint is that the PSU screws provided don't include rubber washers, so they will mark up the brushed aluminum finish. All wires are black mesh.

Cable management can be a nightmare because of how tight the confines are inside this ITX enclosure. I confess that I never really cared that much about cable management appearance, so long as airflow wasn't obstructed. With careful planning, a neat build can be achieved (see Hardware Canucks' video), but the unconventional rail on my Supernova PSU forced me to mount it without first attaching the modular cables. This procedure wasn't fun (and I will have to redo it because I need to check the serial number on the bottom of the PSU!). There are many cut-outs for fairly flexible routing. I appreciate the included cable ties, but they're too thick for use with the case's rear integrated slots!

Expandability and airflow are limited. Being ITX, there is no SLI/Crossfire support. Thankfully, 5.25" drives cannot be installed, but full sized power supplies, 300mm graphics cards, and 130mm high CPU heatsinks can be accommodated. There are only two 3.5" cages and a slim optical drive bay. Theoretically, it's possible to mount a couple of additional solid state drives inside: one at the rear like I did and another just underneath the 3.5" cage and between the 120mm fan slot. Assuming you're going to use the rear 90mm slot as exhaust, the only intake is a 120mm slot underneath the drive cages. Nevetheless, internal temperatures are reasonable without my graphics card installed (15 Celsius ambient temp, see picture below). I chose to mount the 120mm Zalman LQ310 AIO internally since it looks much neater. The 120mm Zalman fan on the radiator is my only exhaust for now. It's possible (but not pretty) to mount an external 240mm rad in the rear, but I can't imagine myself doing this.

This case is a compromise between esthetics and practicality, leaning very heavily towards the former. All cases are compromises to some extent, but the 901 is moreso than most even by ITX standards. Users who want stellar airflow, abundant watercooling potential, and massive expandability should stop considering this case. The 901 is a good choice if you don't need more than 3 or 4 internal drives, plan to run your processor at stock speeds (or a modest 10-15% OC), and want a small case that combines great quality and handsome design.

With some ingenuity, it's possible to overclock a bit and even to mount multiple radiators, but overall, I recommend this case for users who don't plan to do serious watercooling and overclocking. While the 901 isn't for hardcore overclockers, it can still easily pack very powerful hardware for avid gamers and/or graphics designers.

+ Wonderful build quality and attention to detail. Beautiful design, small footprint.
+ Some watercooling possibilities, 300mm GPU support.
+ Integrated SATA and SATA power cables.
+ Lots of cut-outs for cable routing. Large rear CPU cut-out.

+ Supports all power supplies and all lower profile CPU heatsinks.

+ Extremely rigid chasis with no plastic in sight.

+ Fairly quiet while maintaining good temperatures (stock speeds).

+ Acceptable price for the quality.

- Compromised small design that limits airflow and expandability.
- Cable management is tricky and requires lots of forethought.

- No fans included.

- PSU screws aren't rubberized and will mark up the case.

- Only two USB ports (USB 3.0), which can be problematic because accessing the board's slots is nearly impossible with the backplate screwed in place. No reset button.

- Price, while reasonable, is still pretty high for an ITX case.

- Hot running graphics cards that aren't rear exhausted could be troublesome for internal temperatures. Won't be an issue with my cool running 760 Hawk.

Inwin-Box.jpg

Inwin-Box2.jpg

Inwin1.jpg

Inwin2.jpg

Inwin5.jpg

Inwin4.jpg

Inwin6.jpg

Inwin7.jpg

Inwin3.jpg

Temps-310.jpg

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

It looks like the material my fridge is made out of, i give my stamp of approval.

A good, comprehensive review of a neat product. Seriously though, no fans, In-Win? Are you really that cheap?

I can respect your pragmatism in regards to cable management, OP.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

• 4 months later...

How are you plugging things into the rear IO with that liquid cooling option?
I went with the H75 with a full 120x120x25mm fan and it fits but there's really not any room to plug anything in. Wishing I went with an aircooled fan now.

• 5 weeks later...

I rarely write reviews, but since there's plenty of interest surrounding this case and not much end user information right now, I'd like to share my thoughts.

Inwin7.jpg

I'm getting one of these puppies myself. I bought it on a whim when I found it on a time limited offer at 52% discount and free shipping. Is your rad still hanging at an angle like that? And why is that? to avoid kinks in the tubing? Wouldn't it be better if you raised it up a little and fastened it at the bottom as well?  Do you think it'll take 140mm slim AIOs back there where you have mounted it? Is the IO recessed deep enough that you can have stuff plugged in to the MoBo without it interfering too much with the cooler? I'm thinking I might stock up on some angled USB connectors... Now that you've had the case for a while, any more thoughts to share? Does it keep it's looks well?

I'm not certain where I'll use it yet, but it has the looks to make it into the living room, although it's a little on the large side for M-ITX. I'm very much looking forwards to getting it in my hands :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting one of these puppies myself. I bought it on a whim when I found it on a time limited offer at 52% discount and free shipping. Is your rad still hanging at an angle like that? And why is that? to avoid kinks in the tubing? Wouldn't it be better if you raised it up a little and fastened it at the bottom as well?  Do you think it'll take 140mm slim AIOs back there where you have mounted it? Is the IO recessed deep enough that you can have stuff plugged in to the MoBo without it interfering too much with the cooler? I'm thinking I might stock up on some angled USB connectors... Now that you've had the case for a while, any more thoughts to share? Does it keep it's looks well?

I'm not certain where I'll use it yet, but it has the looks to make it into the living room, although it's a little on the large side for M-ITX. I'm very much looking forwards to getting it in my hands :D

Congrats, 52% off and free shipping is a great deal. I've moved the rad and mounted it to the outside of the case now. There is enough space for a 140mm rad, but the fan would then interfere with the I/O cables. Even the 120mm fan already is intrusive. I have coaxial audio output on my motherboard, and it's a very tight fit.

If I had to do it over again, I would get a 240mm rad and mount it externally, using only a single 120mm fan mounted inside. There won't be a massive cooling difference with a single fan unless you're seriously overclocking.

I still love the design and would buy it again in spite of the cable management issues.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5