Corsair 500r Side Window

Hello

I wanted to mod my corsair 500r case so that it would have nice window to it.

This is kinda my first case mod and it isn't even big and it might not look perfect.

I went and bought 3mm plexiglass ,1-2 meters window edging strip and double-sided tape.

It didn't cost me much to get all of those

7_zpsa1c60440.jpg

You can see just basic window edging strip and double-sided tape in this picture

I marked cutting lines to basic tape for this to see the general idea that I want, don't worry I added more taping after marking lines.

Lines I made are just around the bulky lines of the side panel so marking them is quite easy.

8_zps3555a3f6.jpg

For cutting the side panel you can use small grinders or even snips as it isn't that thick.

Don't worry if your side panel cut isn't straight line because you can make it look better when you are placing your window edging stripes.

Cutting my plexiglass I used normal jigsaw.

I cut my plexiglass to fit to the other side of my side panel, so that its about 25mm (2,5cm) off the back of the side panel, (red line is where my plexiglass starts)

6_zpsc6acf7ee.jpg

Height is around 390mm (39cm) and length around 455mm(45,5cm) , doing so makes it just the right size to fit inside the notches on the other side of the side panel.

The reason I have the 25mm cap at the back is that I can get it closed. I had to play around it, it was too far back so I couldn't close the side panel and I found that around my cut was the perfect spot to place my plexiglass and still have it closing properly.

I used that double-sided tape to keep my plexiglass in place, you should never permanently place your side window unless you are 100% sure it fits there perfectly.

2_zps3e80a67f.jpg

I used black tape to the edges of the window edging stripes to make them look cleaner, though they still looks quite messy.

My double-sided tape isn't permanent as I will hot glue it later so that it will never go anywhere. Going to add finishing touches when I hot glue it

now for the finished pictures

3_zpsff036a70.jpg

4_zpsdddaa164.jpg

5_zpsf4befe4a.jpg

Sorry about messy cables >.>

Looks pretty good, wonder what is looks like once you use the hot glue.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Why don't you remove the unnecessary HDD cages? Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Why don't you remove the unnecessary HDD cages? Otherwise, it looks pretty good

I have 3 HDD (3x500gb) in those and its such pain to start moving all files from them to one bigger one, though might do it at one point, and I have 2 SSD on the upper ones , they might have better places than that , but I haven't tried placing them anywhere else yet. I have one fan to keep my 670sli bit cooler because they can run quite hot if you don't have them set for custom fan curve which I have but just incase.

Yeah, the fans in the front don't push much air on low, but one in the bottom is a great deal, i've made myself a plate, stuck it on the side of the optical cage and be done for my SSD, plus it will be in full view in your case with the window, gimme a PM if you want pics.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Really want to do this on my 400r,

Since the cases are identical on the doors and chassis [seriously you can buy all the parts to make your 400r a 500r from the corsair online store :P] this guide may help a lot! :D