Bitcoin market Mt.Gox files for bankruptcy

PillowSmoke

140228073651-mt-gox-bankruptcy-tokyo-mar

It looks like Mt.Gox has finally thrown in the towel.

The company filed for bankruptcy protection at a Tokyo court on Friday with debts of 6.5 billion yen ($64 million), Japanese media reported.

Mt.Gox was one of the world's largest bitcoin exchanges until earlier this month, when it stopped investors from withdrawing money after discovering that its trading platform was under attack by hackers.

The Tokyo-based company took down its website and halted trading in the virtual currency entirely on Monday. CEO Mark Karpeles said as recently as Wednesday that he was working with "different parties" to resolve the exchange's issues.

Related: 'I lost money with Mt.Gox'

Mt.Gox learned Monday that 1.75 million bitcoins held by the company and its customers had disappeared, according to Teikoku Databank, a Japanese bankruptcy tracking firm.
A cyber attack may have finally killed off the exchange, but it was in dire financial straits long before that.

By its own account, Mt.Gox collected only $380,450 in revenue during most of 2012. It lost 13 times that the next year, when U.S. government agents seized $5 million from its account for allegedly lying on bank documents.
Confidence in the virtual currency has been shaken. It has lost about 50% of its value since trading as high as $1,000 last year.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Where were you the last few days?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Where were you the last few days?

playing mc.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I'm pretty sure this has been posted several times already. :P

NURH....!!!!

But weren't those titled as rumors. And this being official.

But weren't those titled as rumors. And this being official.

This. 

Those threads don't have anything really official in them and aren't as well done, which matters.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So... Should i wait a little bit and buy bitcoins?

Yes, invest in unstable markets. Always.

Yes CRASH BITCOINS CRASH, sick of the damn gpu market being 100000000000000000% over priced

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition