Replacing SNES save battery without loosing save

MrPete1985

So I have been digging around and found my old SNES and games.  So I wanted to replace the batteries in my games but if possible I wanted to see if there was a way I could keep my save.  My first go with Super Metroid did not work but my next 2 attempts with Donkey Kong Country and Legend of Zelda both worked without any issues.

Some shots of the Super Metroid PCB

SAM_0340_zpsac195fdf.jpg

SAM_0341_zps75f9696a.jpg

And check and make sure the game is still saving

SAM_0342_zps5be84421.jpg

For my first attempt I decided to try powering the SRAM directly, to do this I cut off the end of a mini USB cable and stripped the red (+5v) and black (ground) wires.

SAM_0343_zps90d87f92.jpg

SAM_0344_zpse4939c9f.jpg

Then I checked the data sheet and wired the USB cable onto the chip to give it a 5v supply

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/108057/LG/GM76C88AL-15.html

SAM_0345_zpsad4a6526.jpg

And installed the new battery

SAM_0346_zps279c841d.jpg

unfortunately the save was lost but I still have a few more ideas.  Next up I tried Donkey Kong Country but no pictures of that so instead here are some pics from Legend of Zelda.  First gotta check and make sure the game still has a save.

SAM_0354_zps33d67dfe.jpg

OK next take lets take it apart.

SAM_0356_zps8c6cb73c.jpg

SAM_0357_zpsace46208.jpg

Next using the same USB cable from Super Metroid this time I soldered so that the whole board has power.  I soldered to the capacitor right by the 5 volt pin.

SAM_0358_zpse6f2ebf9.jpg

Now that the board has power from the USB cable I can remove the battery

SAM_0359_zps05fadf54.jpg

SAM_0360_zps9c60a942.jpg

Then install a new battery

SAM_0361_zps9b24d25e.jpg

SAM_0362_zpsf93def30.jpg

Then disconnect the USB cable from the PCB

SAM_0363_zps2cf75ec9.jpg

Now plug it back into the SNES and my save is still on the cart

SAM_0364_zpsb9b0c208.jpg

A few things to consider temperature increase the resistance so let the board cool down after soldering the USB cable onto the board before you remove the battery.and let the battery cool down before removing the USB cable.

pfft console peasant

jkjk :P

never knew they had batteries

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yep same with some of the gameboy games, picked up some of the older pokemon games a few weeks ago and had to replace the battery in two of them.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Cool fix...I would try this if I hadn't just packed away all my SNES games and stored them.  This got me thinking though, after getting out the PCB, could you not just plug it into the SNES and turn in on (bypassing the need to solder)

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Cool effort, bro  ;)

Just another reason why ROMS and emulation are musts! 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Cool fix...I would try this if I hadn't just packed away all my SNES games and stored them.  This got me thinking though, after getting out the PCB, could you not just plug it into the SNES and turn in on (bypassing the need to solder)

I would not trust having it in the SNES to stay powered, sometimes when you rock the cart back and forst the game will crash so I would be worried about the cart loosing power as well.

pfft console peasant

jkjk :P

The memory used in SNES game are volitile memory so if it looses power then you loose your game save.

Cool effort, bro  ;)

Just another reason why ROMS and emulation are musts! 

Don't get me wrong I love my ROMS and emulators but every once in a while I like to play on the original hardware.

This is extremely helpful. I had to deal with lost saves when I replaced my batteries (Lost Sims City and Zelda saves....no!). Thanks for posting this, I'm definitely going to use it the next time I open up my games.

*will also pass onto other people. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

mmmmmmmmmm.............

why dont you try chaning the battery while the game is still running?

I believe if you do that you can change the batterty and not loosing any data

example:

open the cartridge, plug it on the console, load the game file, then remove the battery while the game is still running, then put the new battery and save again

mmmmmmmmmm.............

why dont you try chaning the battery while the game is still running?

I believe if you do that you can change the batterty and not loosing any data

example:

open the cartridge, plug it on the console, load the game file, then remove the battery while the game is still running, then put the new battery and save again

A couple of reasons, first when rocking the PCB back and forth the the game crashes because there is not good contact on the pins so if the VCC or ground pins stop making good contact then you can still loose your save and also if you are soldering over the cart connector then there is the risk that a stray drop of solder will fall into the cart connector and make a permanent bridge and it could render your SNES useless.  I know some SNES systems have removable cart connectors but some do not.