GPU FAN NOT SPINNING (OVERHEAT)

OBELISKxxx

hi guys, good morning so yea my friend just bought a card. secondhand gtx 950

I also bought the same card from the same seller and I had it with no problems for the past months.

the problem with his card is, the gpu fan doesn't spin but the mobo and the monitor recognizes the gpu.

the gpu's temps can reach up to like 80c and still don't spin.

could this be a bios problem? maybe igpu not set to off on bios? thanks for all your inputs.

- Ian

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Have you played with fan curves at all?

my friend said he installed afterburner and tried to make the fan speed go up but still none, fan doesn't spin

afterburner indicates the gpufan is spinning a 100% but he checked inside the case and the fan isnt

2 minutes ago, OBELISKxxx said:

my friend said he installed afterburner and tried to make the fan speed go up but still none, fan doesn't spin

afterburner indicates the gpufan is spinning a 100% but he checked inside the case and the fan isnt

Check the fan headers on the card to see if theyve come loose

Otherwise, either macgyver up a DIY cooling solution or contact MSI

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Check the fan headers on the card to see if theyve come loose

Otherwise, either macgyver up a DIY cooling solution or contact MSI

do you think the gpu fan is failing? is this possible? because my initial diagnosis is that the gpu fan is failing but idk I'm not really sure. I know gpu fans tend to last long

19 minutes ago, OBELISKxxx said:

hi guys, good morning so yea my friend just bought a card. secondhand gtx 950

I also bought the same card from the same seller and I had it with no problems for the past months.

the problem with his card is, the gpu fan doesn't spin but the mobo and the monitor recognizes the gpu.

the gpu's temps can reach up to like 80c and still don't spin.

could this be a bios problem? maybe igpu not set to off on bios? thanks for all your inputs.

- Ian

Zip-tie a new fan onto it.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

buy a 92mm or 120mm fan off amazon (get a nice dual ball bearing or FDB), and zip tie it on.

6 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

buy a 92mm or 120mm fan off amazon (get a nice dual ball bearing or FDB), and zip tie it on.

if I ask for your diagnosis for this problem guys do you think the gpu fan is failing?

as for the zip tie part I'm not sure If I know how to do that I'm kind of a novice when it comes to these types of stuff

its either the fan failed or the card not supplying power to the fan failed.

try a different fan on the same connector or try a different connector on the same fan to identify the source of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

RMA or be creative

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)