Haswell Refresh INC

Psychatog

Searched the first few pages and didn't see it.

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2014/pc/new-intel-haswell-processor-refresh-2014/

Basically I guess they MIGHT be fixing the VRM issue, and hopefully Haswell Refresh + Broadwell will use the same board as they already said with the removal of the VRM controller off the CPU die a new board is needed.

What VRM issue? You mean the one where it is located on the CPU?

I doubt there will be a refresh because unless the VRM is still on die they would have to release new boards. And if the VRM is still on die there is basically no point.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

why would they release a Haswell refresh when broadwell comes mid year?

Also their issue is the crappy thermal paste :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

its on the roadmap Haswell Refresh then Broadwell K 

Broadwell-K-Set-for-Q4-2014-Leaked-Intel

I love how Intel doesn't care about AMD and just refreshes the line up. Well I guess AMD is now dormant.

Quote me to get a reply!

Not really, I've dellided a few Haswell chips now and run one with direct on die cooling, and even with good paste and good CPU core temps that VRM still gets very toasty

2cgj1w0.jpg

Yeah, like @IVIeLt said, it gets very tasty :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

What VRM issue? You mean the one where it is located on the CPU?

I doubt there will be a refresh because unless the VRM is still on die they would have to release new boards. And if the VRM is still on die there is basically no point.

They moved the VRM controller off of the motherboard and onto the CPU die, which is the reason for the massive variances in heat between chips.  It caused a very inconsistent range.

If AMD is dormant, then let Nvidia make CPU's PLEASE!

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

isn't NSA all into intel chips now? bye bye intel. AMD you better not sell out!

I love how Intel doesn't care about AMD and just refreshes the line up. Well I guess AMD is now dormant.

i read somewhere that for cpu's intel spends more in R&D than amd makes profit lol 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Searched the first few pages and didn't see it.

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2014/pc/new-intel-haswell-processor-refresh-2014/

Basically I guess they MIGHT be fixing the VRM issue, and hopefully Haswell Refresh + Broadwell will use the same board as they already said with the removal of the VRM controller off the CPU die a new board is needed.

The only reason they are prob taking the VRM off Broadwell and the refresh is heat. It isn't a "fix". It was a nice feature that made premium motherboards pointless. The problem was the faster then get on single core the hotter they get.

Taking VRM off die and making the motherboard the limitation is just going to make overclocking cost a lot again.

Basically what does this mean? It means that the z87 mb and 4770k I bought for Xmas in a combo pack for 280.00 combined (with tax) might get stuck at a 4ghz overclock without a premium board costing way more. I would hardly call this a fix.

It just makes the price of a build go up quite a bit for the enthusiast who is going to overclock. Add to that Ivy had no on board vrm and you could lose the silicon lottery on that chip even with a good board. I would hardly call this exciting. If you win the silicon lottery on current Haswell you did so for much cheaper then you will be able to on the refresh. You will probably have less silicon "losers" on the refresh, but you are going to pay for that overclock.

If the refresh overclocks like Sandy I will eat crow, but the chances of that happening are about as high as Intel using solder on the refresh. Not gonna happen. They leave that on 2011 board chips for a reason. The motherboards and chips cost a ton and companies like money. Intel is no exception.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Dormant? Their APUs are the best desktop CPUs for those who don't game.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Dormant? Their APUs are the best desktop CPUs for those who don't game.

I am talking about the enthusiast market. Their FX line is almost dead.

Quote me to get a reply!