Wifi is slow

spot123a
Go to solution Solved by spot123a,

I ended up reinstalling windows using Windows recovery and it worked.

I recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 5765 to a 480 gb SSD from a 1 terabyte segate hard drive. I cloned the garage drive using macrium reflect. After plugging everything in I noticed that the wifi speed was lower than before. With with hhd I was able to get speed of 150mbps on 5ghz and around 80mbps on 2.4ghz. now with the SSD I only get around 90mbps on 5ghz and the same 80 mbps on 2.4ghz. I have updated the drivers and reinstalled them. I also put the hhd back in to check and updated the software to the same version and the SSD is still slower. Im pretty sure it is a soft ware issue.

unless you messed with the driver's on your network adapter, changing your storage wouldn't affect it.

have you reset your modem/router?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, spot123a said:

I recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 5765 to a 480 gb SSD from a 1 terabyte segate hard drive. I cloned the garage drive using macrium reflect. After plugging everything in I noticed that the wifi speed was lower than before. With with hhd I was able to get speed of 150mbps on 5ghz and around 80mbps on 2.4ghz. now with the SSD I only get around 90mbps on 5ghz and the same 80 mbps on 2.4ghz. I have updated the drivers and reinstalled them. I also put the hhd back in to check and updated the software to the same version and the SSD is still slower. Im pretty sure it is a soft ware issue.

Why should this be wrong exactly? How much speed do you pay for?

I pay for 250mbps and I have reset the router but the download speed is still slower than it should be. There is no change.

4 hours ago, spot123a said:

I pay for 250mbps and I have reset the router but the download speed is still slower than it should be. There is no change.

Cool - what you pay for has absolutely zero bearing on whether the modem, router, Wireless AP, network switches, or your devices are actually capable of receiving. So let's suss that out first! I understand that speeds were better previously, so either a) something changed, or b) there's been a coincidental hardware degradation.

What model of modem / router / wireless AP do you have? What channel is your 5GHz set to, and is it 20, 40, or 80 MHz wide?

Your 2.4GHz will never get more than around 50-80mbps, as it's a limitation of the technology, but that's why you have 5GHz :)

What make and model of device are you testing with? We need to know what kind of antenna and WiFi card it has to determine the theoretical best speeds.

Let us know, and we can help troubleshoot.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

44 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Cool - what you pay for has absolutely zero bearing on whether the modem, router, Wireless AP, network switches, or your devices are actually capable of receiving. So let's suss that out first! I understand that speeds were better previously, so either a) something changed, or b) there's been a coincidental hardware degradation.

What model of modem / router / wireless AP do you have? What channel is your 5GHz set to, and is it 20, 40, or 80 MHz wide?

Your 2.4GHz will never get more than around 50-80mbps, as it's a limitation of the technology, but that's why you have 5GHz :)

What make and model of device are you testing with? We need to know what kind of antenna and WiFi card it has to determine the theoretical best speeds.

Let us know, and we can help troubleshoot.

I have an arris dg2470 router and the 5Ghz is set to auto across 20, 40, and 80 mhz. my internet card is a qualcomm atheros qca61x4 connected through pcie. my phone in the same area on 5ghz gets 150mbps. The only thing that has changed is the hard drive, so I think it is a software issue, however, all of the drivers and windows updates are the same. 

You could try to check with tools like "Wifi Analyzer" if someone else in your neighborhood did setup a WiFi within an overlapping channel. this could effect the speed within your WiFi.

I wonder if Windows is not happy about not being reinstalled on the SSD. I forget what Tech Youtuber stated it, but one of them suggested cloning a HDD to an SSD might not be the wisest choice and could cause issues. Personally I would just reinstall Windows with all install all updated drivers right after the install. Its a pain in the ass, yes, but if Windows got mucked up then its the only way to fix the issue. Other than that you could try older drivers to see if that is the issue, but with Micorsoft's track record with updates as of late, Id just say they fucked up down the line somewhere. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I ended up reinstalling windows using Windows recovery and it worked.