LG OLED55C8 naming conventions

Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,

Usualy its to do with plug type and/or included items, and somtimes stand design.

The TV itself is identical to all other C8

I'm very tempted to grab a 55" OLED even though its way to big for me, 42" ..which i currently have. is as big as i can realy go. BUT if current model OLED hits £1k i might buy one. ATM though the cheapest iv seen is £1100 and its last years model (B7)

Given the fact that there are still some awesome Black Friday deals going on (even here in Europe :) ), I'm on the lookout for a new TV. I've pretty much decided on going for the LG OLED55C8, so I have been looking around in multiple online stores today. I have noticed that they all seem to have slight variations in their model names, for example: LG OLED55C8P, OLED55C8PLA, OLED55C8LLA.

I can't seem to find any info on what's really different about them. I have checked out the product datasheet on LG's website, but that doesn't really mention those specific types either. Mind you, I have checked out shops in different countries (the Netherlands and Germany), so maybe they have different indications per region?

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Usualy its to do with plug type and/or included items, and somtimes stand design.

I'm very tempted to grab a 55" OLED even though its way to big for me, 42" ..which i currently have. is as big as i can realy go. BUT if current model OLED hits £1k i might buy one. ATM though the cheapest iv seen is £1100 and its last years model (B7)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking as well, but having all those different model names adds a lot of confusion.

Saw the C8 on display today for the first time, and it's an amazing piece of kit. Haven't seen the C7 yet, but apparently they aren't too far apart and it's only a small improvement this year. Came across the B8 as well, but as I understand it's not "officially" available in my region (Benelux), so I can't find it anywhere.

I'm only slightly worried about OLED's ABL issues, after reading up on that a bit. It will probably be alright, but let's see how that goes ?.

17 minutes ago, Xploda said:

Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking as well, but having all those different model names adds a lot of confusion.

Saw the C8 on display today for the first time, and it's an amazing piece of kit. Haven't seen the C7 yet, but apparently they aren't too far apart and it's only a small improvement this year. Came across the B8 as well, but as I understand it's not "officially" available in my region (Benelux), so I can't find it anywhere.

I'm only slightly worried about OLED's ABL issues, after reading up on that a bit. It will probably be alright, but let's see how that goes ?.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Rtings has a good review and testing method. I trust their reviews on it.

The ABL should only become an issue in a very bright full screen scenes, which shouldnt be to common.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I own the C7, and am familiar with the C8. The C8's panel does look better with the correct content. It is brighter this year, and newer processor. The B series is only 8 bit compared to 10 bit on the C8.

Do it. You won't be disappointed. Don't get the B.

21 hours ago, SolarNova said:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Rtings has a good review and testing method. I trust their reviews on it.

The ABL should only become an issue in a very bright full screen scenes, which shouldnt be to common.

Good read! I've ended up comparing against Samsung's Q9FN too, as I was reading up on some last minute OLED burn-in horror storries which of course are a non-issue for QLED.

Rtings have a great article on that too: Real life OLED burn in test . From my understanding, it should be alright if you pay some attention to it. Apparently it could potentially be the worst on a red background, but I hear that this has been improved on the C8 by making the red sub-pixels slightly larger and more resilient to the issue.

Compared the two when I was in the showroom, and ended up going for the C8! The QLED looked great too, but it was slightly more expensive than the C8 as well.

12 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

I own the C7, and am familiar with the C8. The C8's panel does look better with the correct content. It is brighter this year, and newer processor. The B series is only 8 bit compared to 10 bit on the C8.

Do it. You won't be disappointed. Don't get the B.

Cool, wasn't aware of the 8 bit vs 10 bit difference here. Ended up going for the C8 anyway. It will be here in just a few days time, super excited! ?

Good choice.

'Burn-In' is a highly over exagerated issue. even LTT is guilty of constantly bring it up. As you read on Rtings.. its fine so long as ur aware that it can happen and look after ur screen, which if ur payng over 1k for a screen, u should be anyway imo.

As for QLED, its all marketing , ur paying a premium for the name. it isnt even 'proper' Quantom Dot tech anyway. 'Real' quantom dot is self emmisvie.. what QLED using is a layer type QD, which is the easiest and cheapest to produce, it helps and looks betetr than 'normal' LCD ..but its not worth the premium when u can get a OLED.

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Good choice.

'Burn-In' is a highly over exgerated issue. even LTT is guilty of constantly bring it up. As you read on Rtings.. its fine so long as ur aware that it can happen and look after ur screen, which if ur payng over 1k for a screen, u should be anyway imo.

As for QLED, its all marketing , ur paying a premium for the name. it isnt even 'proper' Quantom Dot tech anyway. 'Real' quantom dot is self emmisvie.. what QLED using is a layer type QD, which is the easiest and cheapest to produce, it helps and looks betetr than 'normal' LCD ..but its not worth the premium when u can get a OLED.

I agree. I don't have any personal experience with OLED yet, but I might be able to report back on that in 2 or 3 years ?.

QLED might have been a viable option for me if it was a lot cheaper than OLED, but unfortunately it's not. I don't think any technology is perfect though, even though some claim it to be. Especially for TVs it really seems to boil down to some trade-offs you have to make, as neither one is perfect.

I apologize, I misspoke earlier about the panels. It's not 8 bit vs 10 bit, but it looks like that in a way. The B8 uses the old A7 processor, and the C8 uses the new A9 processor. Also, the color accuracy is what drives these two panels to look different. There is a noticeable difference in panel quality. Just correcting my previous statement.

The B only uses a 9x9x9 color cube, the C uses a 32x32x32, so it's considerable more accurate and full.