Project Cars 1 or 2?

dcgreen2k

I'm trying to decide which game to get during the Steam Autumn sale, and I've been thinking of getting a Project Cars game now that they're both 75% off. I really like racing games with realistic physics and these have pretty good ratings, but does anybody here know which one would be better?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

pCars2 is better imo.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

2 is significantly better than the first, and I can't think of any reason you'd buy the first.

Price? PC2 is 3 times as expensive as the first and people might not want to spend a lot of money on a racing game.

Played both PC1 and a bit of PC2 around launch, but there were way too many game breaking bugs in Project Cars 2 so I gave up on it.

Not sure if it is still in the game, but there was a feature where you could set an AI driver to take over for you during races. I kept experiencing a bug where the AI driver would randomly just take over by itself and I wouldn't be able to regain control. I would be driving along on lap 70 of a 100 lap online endurance race and all of a sudden "AI Driver in control" and then it will just be stuck in AI mode for the rest of the race. Probably happened a dozen times to me in online races, and I often did full length/endurance races so it was pretty annoying happening half way through a 3 or 4 hour race.

Also lots of bugs where if you did qualifying for a race, it would spawn you in to the wrong grid position on the start line in the race, and then penalise/disqualify you for being out of position at race start. So if you qualify in for example 10th place, it might spawn you in 3rd place on the grid, so as you're waiting for the lights to go green you just get a series of notifications saying "Penalty for passing before race start [+5 second time penalty]".... "Penalty for passing before race start [+15 second time penalty]"... "Penalty for passing before race start [Drive Through penalty]"... "Disqualified for passing before race start".
Pretty annoying if you spend 20 minutes qualifying for a race and then get given a drive through or disqualified because the game spawned you in the wrong spot. Annoyingly it happened so frequently the only solution was disable practice and qualifying and just set the race to random grid placement.

Plenty more little bugs too like pit lane crew spawning in the middle of the race track (you'd be flying past the start line at 300KM/h and a random team of pit crew would spawn in front of you!), cars entering the pits and completely glitching out doing 500 flips in the air, race settings changing themselves when hosting a race online (ie you set it to 100 laps, save it, shows up in the lobby as 100 laps, then you get to the race it has reset itself to 3 laps or something else), and probably a heap more I can't remember...

This was all in the first few months after it was released, and I haven't played since then, so I'm not sure if the bugs have been fixed. I reported most of them on the PC2 bug report forum, and I know they fixed a bug with the fuel burn calculation that was in the game that I reported, and I think also the bug with the penalties for grid positions at start was fixed as well. No idea about any of the other bugs though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

42 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Price? PC2 is 3 times as expensive as the first and people might not want to spend a lot of money on a racing game.

Played both PC1 and a bit of PC2 around launch, but there were way too many game breaking bugs in Project Cars 2 so I gave up on it.

Not sure if it is still in the game, but there was a feature where you could set an AI driver to take over for you during races. I kept experiencing a bug where the AI driver would randomly just take over by itself and I wouldn't be able to regain control. I would be driving along on lap 70 of a 100 lap online endurance race and all of a sudden "AI Driver in control" and then it will just be stuck in AI mode for the rest of the race. Probably happened a dozen times to me in online races, and I often did full length/endurance races so it was pretty annoying happening half way through a 3 or 4 hour race.

Also lots of bugs where if you did qualifying for a race, it would spawn you in to the wrong grid position on the start line in the race, and then penalise/disqualify you for being out of position at race start. So if you qualify in for example 10th place, it might spawn you in 3rd place on the grid, so as you're waiting for the lights to go green you just get a series of notifications saying "Penalty for passing before race start [+5 second time penalty]".... "Penalty for passing before race start [+15 second time penalty]"... "Penalty for passing before race start [Drive Through penalty]"... "Disqualified for passing before race start".
Pretty annoying if you spend 20 minutes qualifying for a race and then get given a drive through or disqualified because the game spawned you in the wrong spot. Annoyingly it happened so frequently the only solution was disable practice and qualifying and just set the race to random grid placement.

Plenty more little bugs too like pit lane crew spawning in the middle of the race track (you'd be flying past the start line at 300KM/h and a random team of pit crew would spawn in front of you!), cars entering the pits and completely glitching out doing 500 flips in the air, race settings changing themselves when hosting a race online (ie you set it to 100 laps, save it, shows up in the lobby as 100 laps, then you get to the race it has reset itself to 3 laps or something else), and probably a heap more I can't remember...

This was all in the first few months after it was released, and I haven't played since then, so I'm not sure if the bugs have been fixed. I reported most of them on the PC2 bug report forum, and I know they fixed a bug with the fuel burn calculation that was in the game that I reported, and I think also the bug with the penalties for grid positions at start was fixed as well. No idea about any of the other bugs though.

I'll admit I just spent most of my time hot-lapping since the AI drivers aren't ever very great, and frankly screw playing online.

I do know that PCars 1 was pretty buggy too, so I'd almost say moot point. PC2 has more cars, tracks, and features than 1, along with better physics. So alright, fine, other than price I don't know why you'd choose PC1 over 2. They have been updating it, though I'll also admit I haven't really been following it.

I also have a wheel, but complaints about using PC1 with a controller were constant, I think it was improved a lot in 2.

#Muricaparrotgang