Under performing gpu?

Claydamager

have over-time, built what I would call a somewhat decent pc (for 1366*768 atleast). The latest upgrade was to a 1050 ti as my graphics card. My card seems to be under-performing in actual by quite a lot. I have tested many games and have come to this conclusion. I think it might be due to my under-powered processor i3-4160, the slow ddr3 1600 mhz ram (4 gb * 2 both of the same speed though differing manufacturers), the really crappy gigabyte H81M-S2PV motherboard or the shady off brand 400 watt powersupply.

My specifications:

Spoiler

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/i0bFSAlkhaa42vpsyanIwO0

Gtx 1050 ti
i3 4160
8 gb 1600 ram in 2 sticks
Gigabyte H81-spv2 rev 3.0 motherboard
400 Watt generic psu
1 TB WD10EZEX 7200 rpm

Things I have tried so far:

Hardware related:

Spoiler

+Reseated the graphics card
+Reseated the processor, reapplying good TIM
+Disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the whole system from scratch making sure to plug each wire and component VERY carefully
+Unplugged each peripheral and restarted to see if any of them were the cause
+Checked my graphics card for any power connectors
+Tried different sata ports for my hardisk
+Tried different ram slots and each ram stick indiviually
+Checked the graphics card for dead fans

Software related:

Spoiler

+Saw Cpu and Gpu utilisation using afterburner. Gpu rarely hits 80% (unless I go to 1440p) and cpu is always above 70% and frequently maxed out

+Frame rates are generally not that bad but the frame times almost always seem like a seismograph.

+Updated the bios to the second revision which had a CPU microcode update in it and that really boosted my fps. (before, it was about half of the current          performance, which still is not what I see other people with the 1050 ti achieve. It also dramatically boosted my cpu benchmarks)
+Used Superposition and Hwbench to test my components, and the scores matches people with similar configurations. (will post the scores soon)
+Tried Uningine valley but it refuses to run due to some missing ini files. Tried to fix it to no avail.
+Tried an overnight bad sector repair on my hard-disk, it found some and most of fixed them but repeatedly failed to fix about 3 of them even after repeated     runs. (used Western Digital's data life guard and ran the extended test)
+Checked to make sure that spectre fixes were not slowing the cpu down and no, the microcode update does not have fixes for spectre/meltdown
+Overclocked the gpu which provided a meager but measureable performance increase. Also tried underclocking to see if the base clocks were unstable and did not change the voltage, it is locked
+Checked for thermal throttling for both the Cpu and Gpu under stress test, Aida 64 and the hairy doughnut thing
+Check gpu-z to see if I got scammed
+Tried disabling V-DT, Virualisation and Hyper-threading in bios.
+Disabled all power saving measures in bios, windows and Nvidia drivers
+Tried clean installs of different versions of display drivers using DDU, trying with and without the geforce experience, physx, audio, etc

Stuff that I can do if necessary:

Spoiler

+Get i3 8100 with new mother board, psu and ram
+Reinstall windows 7 or switch to 10

What I cannot do
+Format my hardisk

I will post in game statistics soon and add more information as I remember them.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your time :)

Edited by Claydamager

So the thing is, as you scale resolution down, it moves a lot of the horse power from the GPU to the CPU, so you are likely CPU bottlenecked at that resolution.. when in games, what is your CPU and GPU usage?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Cpu 70% or higher and gpu usually less than 70% but, the frame time is very spiky and fps is nothing to write home about. especially considering I play at 1366*768, I am currently compiling graphs from some common games and will post them soon.

Would titanfall 2, Shadow of mordor, crysis 3, sniper elite 3, Nfs most wanted 2012 be good games for testing performance?

Just now, Claydamager said:

Would titanfall 2, Shadow of mordor, crysis 3, sniper elite 3, Nfs most wanted 2012 be good games for testing performance?

Yes, apart from NFS 2012, that one is iirc fps locked so that won't give useful results.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

How do I record the results though, would screenshots of afterburner's graphs be enough?