*** PLEASE Help *** Lost raid array after bios flash

N.Z Nate
Go to solution Solved by IdeaStormer,

When ever your BIOS goes belly up or you want to upgrade it, disconnect your RAID array if you can, because usually on upgrades or major crashes the settings go to default and well that's either AHCI or ATA SATA mode and your RAID array is not recognized. If you just disconnect your RAIDed drives and use a thumb drive to upgrade/stabilize your BIOS, then change the settings to your previous settings then reconnect your RAID array. Disconnect so BIOS does not attempt to read the RAID array as regular drives and possibly ruining the Boot sector.

I know its not intuitive to removed your RAIDed drives as well that's where the OS is usually but something to keep in the back of your mind when doing this kind of debugging/upgrading.

Hi Guys, I've done something a bit silly and I don't mind admitting it......

I have had a power failure and my motherboard has had to switch to its secondary bios.... That worked fine, but my o/s wouldn't boot. I have since discovered that i needed to change IDE to RAID for this to work, HOWEVER, i have since flashed my bios in an attempt to fix this.

So....

I have now got my PC back up and running, but the RAID array has been forgotten. I have/had an SSD boot drive, 2x1TB HDD in raid 0 and 2x 3TB in raid 1

My data is still visible on both 3tb hard drives, and of course not the 2x 1TB drives.... I need to figure out how to tell my PC that the data is still there and to re-create the RAID array.  I have not re-formatted or created a new raid in fear of loosing my data.

ANY help would be really appreciated :)

did you change sata to raid in the bios after the update

@looney may have some insight 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Hi Guys. Yes I did change sata to raid. That is all I needed to do in the first place. So my pc now boots fine, it just doesn't remember my original raid configuration. I hit CTRL + I on boot to enter intel raid config, all disks are Non member disks.... I don't know how to get them back into a raid without wiping them.

Have you tried flashing your BIOS with the previous version? Intel might have changed their standard for RAID superblocks, if you use the version of the BIOS that you used to create the array, you should be able to discover it again.

This is exactly why I usually recommend software RAID to people.

Itel raid should have picked it up as I jave had arrays go from x58 to x79 and though different boards so its likely something happened to the hdds

I've moved Intel RAID drives to and from different motherboards as well and they still detected them. Try flashing back to the older BIOS as suggested above.

When ever your BIOS goes belly up or you want to upgrade it, disconnect your RAID array if you can, because usually on upgrades or major crashes the settings go to default and well that's either AHCI or ATA SATA mode and your RAID array is not recognized. If you just disconnect your RAIDed drives and use a thumb drive to upgrade/stabilize your BIOS, then change the settings to your previous settings then reconnect your RAID array. Disconnect so BIOS does not attempt to read the RAID array as regular drives and possibly ruining the Boot sector.

I know its not intuitive to removed your RAIDed drives as well that's where the OS is usually but something to keep in the back of your mind when doing this kind of debugging/upgrading.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You could always get some restore software which should work if you didnt do anything to the drives since you used a intel controller which is common.

Thanks for your sugestions :) I am a little concerned after reading the above posts, that my bios doesnt recognise them as raid drives as other people have swapped platforms and theirs did. I will try what was suggested above by Ideastormer when I get home. If all else fails, yes i had ran a scan with some restore software, and my data does seem to be recoverable from the raid 0 array. Fingers crossed I can kick that bios back into life.

Thanks for the ideas, the issue lies with my bios resetting after every time the mains power is disconnected. I have done alot of troubleshooting to get to this stage. Even thought I had cured the issue and had a stable system. I'm going to post another topic that is more related to my problem