Motherboard for a ryzen 5 2600x

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade, but I'm having trouble deciding some stuff. I have a few questions and if I have to split them apart in different threads, please let me know.

1. I'm planning to get a Ryzen 5 2600x however, I don't know which motherboard to buy. Please note that I'm restricted to micro-ATX form factors due to my case (Q300L owner here:) ).

2. Currently, I have 16GB of DDR4 2133 memory - A Hyperx Fury Black kit of 8x2. Is the processor's performance going to be affected a lot by it? Do I need to also upgrade my ram to a faster kit? I was hoping I could easily overclock them a bit so I won't have to spend extra cash.

3. Is the stock cooler going to be enough for the CPU? I was thinking that due to its design, it will spread a lot of heat inside of the case and, taking into account that I have a small case, it will affect my other components.

Please note that I'm gaming at 1080p and also doing music and graphic work on this PC.

My current setup:

I5 6500

Asus H110M-C

16GB DDR4 8x2 2133MHz

Asus Strix 1060 GB

bequiet 600W PSU

Cooler Master Q300L

Thanks a ton!

ryzen does like higher speed ram, but it isn't a requirement

I would say the pro 4m if you're on a budget and the strix if you have some money to spend

11 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

1. I'm planning to get a Ryzen 5 2600x however, I don't know which motherboard to buy. Please note that I'm restricted to micro-ATX form factors due to my case (Q300L owner here:) ).

Most mATX AM4 motherboards are cheap garbage, so check out a mITX motherboard like the ROG Strix X470-I.

12 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

3. Is the stock cooler going to be enough for the CPU? I was thinking that due to its design, it will spread a lot of heat inside of the case and, taking into account that I have a small case, it will affect my other components.

The cooler is "enough" for a R6 2600X, but get a cheap CPU cooler like an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

22 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade, but I'm having trouble deciding some stuff. I have a few questions and if I have to split them apart in different threads, please let me know.

2. Currently, I have 16GB of DDR4 2133 memory - A Hyperx Fury Black kit of 8x2. Is the processor's performance going to be affected a lot by it? Do I need to also upgrade my ram to a faster kit? I was hoping I could easily overclock them a bit so I won't have to spend extra cash.

Please note that I'm gaming at 1080p and also doing music and graphic work on this PC.

My current setup:

I5 6500

Asus H110M-C

16GB DDR4 8x2 2133MHz

Asus Strix 1060 GB

bequiet 600W PSU

Cooler Master Q300L

Thanks a ton!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LLYLrH/asrock-b450m-hdv-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-hdv

On the memory, for any DDR4 setup, you're getting a bit of a performance penalty when at 2133. It's not huge, but it is measurable. See if you can OC the memory, as most sticks will probably let you push pretty far. 2666 will do you fine, but 2933/3000 is the absolute sweet spot. It'll probably have more of an impact on the Music side than the Gaming side, but 3000 kits are going for 100-120USD now. Which is a huge drop down from where they were at until recently.

The included cooler, if it'll fit in the case, is more than enough. The 6 core Ryzen parts don't run that hot due to the silicon hard limits for clocks.

Unfortunately, that ROG Strix mini-ATX board is way out of my budget. At least here, the mobo cost almost the same amount as the processor itself. Don't know if that's justifiable.

About the mobo Taf the Ghost recommended - asrock b450m hdv - looks like the cheapest option. Shouldn't I get a board with at least some vram heatsinks on it? Aren't any other better options here?

Regarding ram overclocking, I'll have to do some reading on how to do it exactly - never done it before.

Glad to hear that the included stock cooler is fine at least for the time being!

4 hours ago, LVXVRIANT said:

Currently, I have 16GB of DDR4 2133 memory - A Hyperx Fury Black kit of 8x2. Is the processor's performance going to be affected a lot by it? Do I need to also upgrade my ram to a faster kit?

Yes, it will be really affected. At least 3000Mhz ram.

Is the stock cooler going to be enough for the CPU?

If you think that 57 degrees are too much get a better cooler.

I don't know which motherboard to buy.

ASRock B450M Pro 4 ITX will be a good choice if you are not going to overclock. And as an owner of an Asrock motherboard, I recommend them. And is 80$. Also, you can just say what's your budget.

7 minutes ago, DOGEY said:

Yes, it will be really affected. At least 3000Mhz ram.

3000? that's pretty pricey here... I'll take my changes with the current ones and try to OC them.

If you think that 57 degrees are too much get a better cooler.

Sounds pretty good taking into account that my current CPU (i5 6500) stays below 55.

ASRock B450M Pro 4 ITX will be a good choice if you are not going to overclock. And as an owner of an Asrock motherboard, I recommend them. 

I don't think you can get much out of the 2600x anyways. What did you pair yours with? 
still on the subject of motherboards, what about Gigabyte b450m AORUS? or MSI b450m mortar?

Apparently I have no clue how to quote/reply to someone xD

9 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

I don't think you can get much out of the 2600x anyways. What did you pair yours with? 
 still on the subject of motherboards, what about Gigabyte b450m AORUS? or MSI b450m mortar?

4 Gigabyte motherboards died on me. MSI B450 Mortar has better VRAM and at least has VRAM. I think you choose the best motherboard here.

10 minutes ago, LVXVRIANT said:

3000? that's pretty pricey here... I'll take my changes with the current ones and try to OC them.

You can try getting 2666 ram and then OC to 3000 (It will be easier but really ram OCing is painful) 

7 hours ago, LVXVRIANT said:

Hey guys,

My current setup:

I5 6500

Asus H110M-C

16GB DDR4 8x2 2133MHz

Asus Strix 1060 GB

bequiet 600W PSU

Cooler Master Q300L

Thanks a ton!

What is ur budget?

I just got the R5 2600x, I have a Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 7.  If u want cheaper try the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 3 or 5.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

2 hours ago, DOGEY said:

4 Gigabyte motherboards died on me. MSI B450 Mortar has better VRAM and at least has VRAM. I think you choose the best motherboard here.

You can try getting 2666 ram and then OC to 3000 (It will be easier but really ram OCing is painful) 

So I should stick with the MSI mortar then?

Regarding OCing.. well I gotta try first before throwing out my current kit.

13 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

What is ur budget?

I just got the R5 2600x, I have a Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 7.  If u want cheaper try the Gigabyte X470 AORUS Gaming 3 or 5.

My budget is not really relevant since where I'm from PC parts have their prices rather inflated. I'm just looking for a decent well-rounded micro-atx board that won't cause me any headaches. Unfortunately X470 doesn't come in a micro-atx form factor or at least I haven't seen any?