Is my PC fan broken?

Wetpig

I have an old Thermaltake TT-12025A fan. I was cleaning it from hair that was stuck in it I cut off a wire out of the coil. I was wondering if that would make the fan useless, it does work but only if I push it to start, kinda like a car engine not working well.

If it is broken, how do I open the fan to solder the coil back again? I can't do it by hand and If I use more force I'll probably brake it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

3 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

just buy another fan not worth the trouble these fans are cheap on eBay. 

I just want to fix it, I could buy a new one, but I really don't have  anything else to do right now with my life :(

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

29 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

I have an old Thermaltake TT-12025A fan. I was cleaning it from hair that was stuck in it I cut off a wire out of the coil. I was wondering if that would make the fan useless, it does work but only if I push it to start, kinda like a car engine not working well.

If it is broken, how do I open the fan to solder the coil back again? I can't do it by hand and If I use more force I'll probably brake it.

Could you please include a picture which shows the fan and the point where one of its wires was cut and I think that the fan could be possibly getting less power delivery or the fan could be trying to go against high resistance when it is being started and therefore giving it a push would help although not be a permanent solution? Its quite difficult to tell what point of the fan is failing and causing the issue and therefore an image would really help. I would not recommend trying to solder the electrical components of the fan as it could cause more severe problems if done incorrectly although if you have a soldering iron or a heat source you may be able to get the coil to be temporally be out of the way which is preventing it from being connected and then get the fan attached again before you put it back to its standard positioning so that it would not come off from the coil element again. Ir really is dependent on how the coil got cut off from the rest of the assembly and that has the potential to possibly introduce other cost factors which may make the repair not worth it such as if something cracked and in that case I would go with what @jonrosalia said in replacing the fan with another one which would be of the same size and air pressure charge to ensure compatibility to the same or as close as possibly to how it was originally in its computer system.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

7 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Could you please include a picture which shows the fan and the point where one of its wires was cut and I think that the fan could be possibly getting less power delivery or the fan could be trying to go against high resistance when it is being started and therefore giving it a push would help although not be a permanent solution? Its quite difficult to tell what point of the fan is failing and causing the issue and therefore an image would really help. I would not recommend trying to solder the electrical components of the fan as it could cause more severe problems if done incorrectly although if you have a soldering iron or a heat source you may be able to get the coil to be temporally be out of the way which is preventing it from being connected and then get the fan attached again before you put it back to its standard positioning so that it would not come off from the coil element again. Ir really is dependent on how the coil got cut off from the rest of the assembly and that has the potential to possibly introduce other cost factors which may make the repair not worth it such as if something cracked and in that case I would go with what @jonrosalia said in replacing the fan with another one which would be of the same size and air pressure charge to ensure compatibility to the same or as close as possibly to how it was originally in its computer system.

I can't provide a picture. As it would be incredibly difficult to take one and be able to see the problem. If I could tear the fan down I could. I put it in my case and it seems to work, although I think it is running a bit slow, I don't know. It lowered my idle temps by a few degrees, at least the CPU temp.

Motor is under sticker. You can open it with small flathead screwdriver or needle. It's not that hard, I've fixed 200mm NZXT fan in past.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv