Important SIM Messages need recovering

SenorKiwi

Hi there,

My mother has an old SIM card that have messages of her talking to someone that has now passed away. She wants to keep the messages for memories.

However, upon re-using the old phone and SIM card, only ~1 message per month is appearing between her and that person. 80% of them have disappeared.

Any ideas on what has happened and how they can be recovered?

Can potentially pay a bit for some help.

Text messages aren't saved on the SIM card. The memory is too small for that. They're stored on the main storage ROM. If the messages were deleted at some point or she switched phones without backing them all up, or a factory reset, the messages are gone.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Text messages aren't saved on the SIM card. The memory is too small for that. They're stored on the main storage ROM. If the messages were deleted at some point or she switched phones without backing them all up, or a factory reset, the messages are gone.

She still has the original phone and the original SIM card with it. She actually used it as a backup phone.

Does that help give info?

7 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

She still has the original phone and the original SIM card with it. She actually used it as a backup phone.

Does that help give info?

Not quite. If this wasn't her main phone during the time most messages were sent, you'll need to look on the other phone. Text messages, SMS specifically, don't really sync over automatically. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Not quite. If this wasn't her main phone during the time most messages were sent, you'll need to look on the other phone. Text messages, SMS specifically, don't really sync over automatically. 

Same phone as the original messages were sent. hence, is stored on the ROM, they should be there? 

4 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Same phone as the original messages were sent. hence, is stored on the ROM, they should be there? 

As long as no messages were ever deleted, the phone was never reset/reinstalled, they should be visible. 

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Even when they could save more some old phones had a limit of messages that could be stored in the inbox, so if they are not moved to some archive folder they will probably be dismissed after some time. 

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

As long as no messages were ever deleted, the phone was never reset/reinstalled, they should be visible. 

okay, if they aren't visible, any ideas on what can be done? or nothing? 

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

Even when they could save more some old phones had a limit of messages that could be stored in the inbox, so if they are not moved to some archive folder they will probably be dismissed after some time. 

same question to you Klemmbrett as to Neliz, any idea? 

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

I remember on my first phone i ever had 50 messages could be stored in the inbox and if i revived a 51st the first was moved to an archive folder where i could find them in separate folders year/month/  maybe your moms phone has something similar ? Maybe hidden trough moving to some menues ? 

I remember on my first phone i ever had 50 messages could be stored in the inbox and if i revived a 51st the first was moved to an archive folder where i could find them in separate folders year/month/  maybe your moms phone has something similar ? Maybe hidden trough moving to some menues ? 

Okay I will check - it is a Sony Xperia 

@TheKiwiColonelIs the phone "young" enough so that you could connect it to a pc to see the data on the phone ? 

Yes, it is Sony Xperia, I think possibly 2014~ - I can connect it to the PC. 

Yes, it is Sony Xperia, I think possibly 2014~ - I can connect it to the PC. 

For that new phones there are very easy ways to access that data like all sms via tools. I thought in the beginning we talk early 2000s phones like my dad keeps using because we talk about SMS and not whats app messages etc. 

14 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

For that new phones there are very easy ways to access that data like all sms via tools. I thought in the beginning we talk early 2000s phones like my dad keeps using because we talk about SMS and not whats app messages etc. 

Okay, yea fortunately not that old! Any tool you know that could work? 

Edit: Model is "Sony Xperia D2303" - 2014

Okay, yea fortunately not that old! Any tool you know that could work? 

Sony like Samsung has a PC Companion app with backup functionalities etc. i guess it can be used. That would be at least worth a try downloading it from Sony and try out if it can access all sms.