CPU choice

Go to solution Solved by brob,

It really comes down to pricing. As you say, you don't want to cheap out on other parts of the system. You have a decent idea of what you want and what the tradeoffs are. It's just a matter of being patient then working out the relative costs of the builds. 

I do think that it is a matter of assembling comparable builds then looking at the costs. If the 2700 is not at least 5% less expensive, assuming all other components are the same, I'd probably go with the i5-8600K.

Hello, as the topic says, i'd like to upgrade my cpu, black friday is coming so i think it's great opportunity to do so, cpu will be mostly used for gaming so i straight up looked for an intel, and i found a i5 8600K, but then again i still looked for better offers and discounts and i found a ryzen 5 2600 on 30% discount, the question is, is it worth to go for intel, or ryzen and wait for upcoming am4 cpu's, the ryzen is a great deal but i know games depend on single core speed a lot, so what would you do? second thread is the real price? i mean new mother board and ram, what is it going to take to upgrade my curret setup including that cost? thanks

Current setup:
Mobo: H81M-P33 (lga 1150)
Cpu: i5 4460 fully stock
Psu: SilentiumPC Vero M2 Bronze 600w
Gpu: MSI GTX 1080 8g gaming (overclocked)
Ram: Crucial 8gb ddr3 1600mhz 
Drives: 1Tb Seagate 7200rp/m, 2Tb Seagate 7200rp/m, Samsung 860 Evo 250gb ssd

2 minutes ago, Rekt1337 said:

Hello, as the topic says, i'd like to upgrade my cpu, black friday is coming so i think it's great opportunity to do so, cpu will be mostly used for gaming so i straight up looked for an intel, and i found a i5 8600K, but then again i still looked for better offers and discounts and i found a ryzen 5 2600 on 30% discount, the question is, is it worth to go for intel, or ryzen and wait for upcoming am4 cpu's, the ryzen is a great deal but i know games depend on single core speed a lot, so what would you do? second thread is the real price? i mean new mother board and ram, what is it going to take to upgrade my curret setup including that cost? thanks

Current setup:
Mobo: H81M-P33 (lga 1150)
Cpu: i5 4460 fully stock
Psu: SilentiumPC Vero M2 Bronze 600w
Gpu: MSI GTX 1080 8g gaming (overclocked)
Ram: Crucial 8gb ddr3 1600mhz 
Drives: 1Tb Seagate 7200rp/m, 2Tb Seagate 7200rp/m, Samsung 860 Evo 250gb ssd

with your current gpu i would say (as much as i love ryzen) it would be better to go with the i5 8600k as even linus said that its a very good gaming processor

thanks, so the next question is the mother board, i'd like to overclock my cpu as it has unlocked multiplier, which one to choose aswell as ram?

Ryzen is excellent value, but if you can afford the i5 It's better. Just know the motherboards are more expensive, sine you'll need a Z370 or Z390 board to overclock. With Ryzen, you'll get to use a B450 board and save some more cash, which you can spend on faster ram, which will boost Ryzen's CPU performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ryzen is excellent value, but if you can afford the i5 It's better. Just know the motherboards are more expensive, sine you'll need a Z370 or Z390 board to overclock. With Ryzen, you'll get to use a B450 board and save some more cash, which you can spend on faster ram, which will boost Ryzen's CPU performance.

what z390 board would you recommend for good price/value?

5 minutes ago, Rekt1337 said:

what z390 board would you recommend for good price/value?

Well Z390 pricing is pretty high right now, I think if you really want a good one you could go for the Z390 FTW.

Edit: scratch that, the availability for that isn't quite there yet, so I recommend the Z370 Classified K

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Well Z390 pricing is pretty high right now, I think if you really want a good one you could go for the Z390 FTW.

well, this one isn't even available on market in my country, so what would you say about Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X? 

1 minute ago, Rekt1337 said:

well, this one isn't even available on market in my country, so what would you say about Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X? 

I like the look of that one, and I have used a lot of gigabyte AM4 motherboards which are quite good, so I would recommend it.

Primary PC:

With an i5-8600K, one could use a Z370 motherboard.

Often the cost of an i5-8600K, Z370/Z390 motherboard, and good cpu cooler is not much different from a Ryzen 2700/2700X on a B450 motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I like the look of that one, and I have used a lot of gigabyte AM4 motherboards which are quite good, so I would recommend it.

thanks for help

1 minute ago, brob said:

With an i5-8600K, one could use a Z370 motherboard.

Often the cost of an i5-8600K, Z370/Z390 motherboard, and good cpu cooler is not much different from a Ryzen 2700/2700X on a B450 motherboard.

so you say i should go with a ryzen? i am going to use this rig as a gaming pc so i dont think i need more cores this much

I'm suggesting you consider Ryzen. Depending on pricing you may be able to get a generally more powerful system for the same price. While Intel wins most current gaming benchmarks, more AI heavy titles do better with higher core counts. Also the actual difference in most titles is close to imperceptible. Which you should choose is really a matter of relative costs.

14 minutes ago, brob said:

I'm suggesting you consider Ryzen. Depending on pricing you may be able to get a generally more powerful system for the same price. While Intel wins most current gaming benchmarks, more AI heavy titles do better with higher core counts. Also the actual difference in most titles is close to imperceptible. Which you should choose is really a matter of relative costs.

ryzen 2700 is about 332$ in my country, intel is 305$, including ram and mobo costs (mid price range, price/value parts) which is going to be more expensive? i did some research and see your point, the am4 is going to be supported until 2020, lga 1151 is dead, i see that threads make a difference, considering the price what would you recommend to choose?

Which Intel cpu are you comparing? If its an i5-8600K or i7-8700K, then are you including the cost of the cpu cooler?

i am comparing 8600k, i am not including the cost of the cooler, i know it is without one in box, but the coolers aren't problem for me as they are widely available in my place

With the Intel being less expensive, it becomes a difficult choice. Ultimately, either one will prove to be a decent choice if you are going to overclock. If not, the i5-8600K does have better stock performance in current games.

well, it is less expensive right now, all depends on black friday, i don't also want to cheap out rest of the pc, if intel will be better deal tomorrow, i will try to grab a z390 from gigabyte, if ryzen then some x470, obviously i am going to overclock my cpu, so considering this, what would you recommend?

It really comes down to pricing. As you say, you don't want to cheap out on other parts of the system. You have a decent idea of what you want and what the tradeoffs are. It's just a matter of being patient then working out the relative costs of the builds. 

I do think that it is a matter of assembling comparable builds then looking at the costs. If the 2700 is not at least 5% less expensive, assuming all other components are the same, I'd probably go with the i5-8600K.