Need Advice for New Laptop please!

Hey Everyone!

First and foremost thank you for viewing my post!  I previously used this site to help me figure out my gaming room configuration and set up for my consoles and had such an amazing experience that i am back!!

I am open to both Mac and Pc laptops.  I currently own with my siblings. an alienware 15m that is set up at a vacation home for VR for all of us and our kids to use, but it is not set up at my main residence. At my main residence (that i am trying to replace)I own a 2014 fully loaded macbook pro and a whatever dell laptop at my office. My mac is what I currently use on a day to day basis at home, but now that it is a bit older, it is slower and cant even handle a game such as runescape. I did love the computer and had a great experience with it overall, but it has just gotten so slow and laggy recently it is bothering me.

Here is what I am looking for-

- A new laptop, Mac or PC.  I do own a Ipad Pro and an Iphone X, so mac has always been the way i have leaned at home.

- One that will definitely last 4-5 years and not slowly die.

- I do play games on it such as runescape, Diablo 3, and others. (I do currently own a switch, PS4, xbox1, and many older gaming systems) so I am not a strictly computer gamer, but I do want to be able to play whichever game i may chose and have it run great.

- I also use my laptop pretty frequently for work (microsoft office product), emails, watching movies, storing a good amount of music, and other daily activities. 

- price range of 2-4k.  That price point can be  higher if it is worth it, but truth be told, I am not a computer expert. 

- In the end, i want a computer that can run quickly and efficiently for the next 4 years, be able to run my games without lagging, have a decent amount of storage 500-1tb+... the rest of the specs I honestly don't know or understand well enough to narrow down. 

I am going to guess that everyone here hates mac and that will probably be the first thing I read in the comments, but if it can handle what I need i am not opposed to it.  The new macbook pro just seems a little overpriced for what you are getting right now, which is why i am here!

if anyone has any recommendations for specs of the laptop based off what I have put, please do share and an explanation to help me learn a bit more would be even better! if you have any recommendations for exact laptops as well, that would also be amazing!

i look forward to reading and hearing what everyone has to say and really appreciate all the help and incite! 

I hope everyone has a great turkey day week/great week in general if you don't celebrate the holiday. 

Thank you again!!!

6 minutes ago, Jmangum said:

Hey Everyone!

First and foremost thank you for viewing my post!  I previously used this site to help me figure out my gaming room configuration and set up for my consoles and had such an amazing experience that i am back!!

I am open to both Mac and Pc laptops.  I currently own with my siblings. an alienware 15m that is set up at a vacation home for VR for all of us and our kids to use, but it is not set up at my main residence. At my main residence (that i am trying to replace)I own a 2014 fully loaded macbook pro and a whatever dell laptop at my office. My mac is what I currently use on a day to day basis at home, but now that it is a bit older, it is slower and cant even handle a game such as runescape. I did love the computer and had a great experience with it overall, but it has just gotten so slow and laggy recently it is bothering me.

Here is what I am looking for-

- A new laptop, Mac or PC.  I do own a Ipad Pro and an Iphone X, so mac has always been the way i have leaned at home.

- I do play games on it such as runescape, Diablo 3, and others. (I do currently own a switch, PS4, xbox1, and many older gaming systems) so I am not a strictly computer gamer, but I do want to be able to play whichever game i may chose and have it run great.

- I also use my laptop pretty frequently for work (microsoft office product), emails, watching movies, storing a good amount of music, and other daily activities. 

- price range of 2-4k.  That price point can be  higher if it is worth it, but truth be told, I am not a computer expert. 

- In the end, i want a computer that can run quickly and efficiently for the next 4 years, be able to run my games without lagging, have a decent amount of storage 500-1tb+... the rest of the specs I honestly don't know or understand well enough to narrow down. 

I am going to guess that everyone here hates mac and that will probably be the first thing I read in the comments, but if it can handle what I need i am not opposed to it.  The new macbook pro just seems a little overpriced for what you are getting right now, which is why i am here!

if anyone has any recommendations for specs of the laptop based off what I have put, please do share and an explanation to help me learn a bit more would be even better! if you have any recommendations for exact laptops as well, that would also be amazing!

i look forward to reading and hearing what everyone has to say and really appreciate all the help and incite! 

I hope everyone has a great turkey day week/great week in general if you don't celebrate the holiday. 

Thank you again!!!

if you wanna be in the apple ecosystem you could buy one of the new 15 inch 2018 macbook pros that come with a quadcore and a radeon gpu so you can also play some games,alternatively you could buy a smaller macbook with iris graphics and an external gpu for when u wanna game.

also i highly recommend the microsoft surface book 2 it has a quadcore processor ,a gtx 1060 plus a great screen and excellent battely life

Location? Any preference on weight, display quality and battery life? Are you open to eGPU setup?

15 hours ago, Jmangum said:

Very hard to guarantee this if you're talking about reliability, unless you go for premium business laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Battery life is probably the most important, graphics card... i dont need the top of the line but to be able to watch HD movies/play games in a decent quality would be nice. and weight doesnt matter. i am currently located in Dallas, TX. 

and in regards to business premium laptops, what are you refering to?

5 hours ago, Jmangum said:

Battery life is probably the most important

Min how many hours of normal usage?

5 hours ago, Jmangum said:

and in regards to business premium laptops, what are you refering to?

eg Thinkpad T series

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

min hours of usage for games/movies would probably be 4 hours.  in regards to buisness premium laptops, i would be open to a thinkpad. nothing against it.  

the brands i have been looking at recently have been the 15 inch, macbook pro, razer and alienware. but I havnt been able to narrow it down from there. but i am also open to adding to the ones i am looking at.

My current laptop is still up and running so i am in no rush to make the purchase. If the macbook (specd the way i like) wasnt so expensive, i probably would have just bought that again, but they are so damn pricey that is why i have expanded my search.  

On 12/4/2018 at 5:42 AM, Jmangum said:

min hours of usage for games/movies would probably be 4 hours

On 11/27/2018 at 6:20 AM, Jmangum said:

Battery life is probably the most important, graphics card... i dont need the top of the line but to be able to watch HD movies/play games in a decent quality would be nice. and weight doesnt matter. i am currently located in Dallas, TX

On 11/21/2018 at 3:07 AM, Jmangum said:

games on it such as runescape, Diablo 3, and others

work (microsoft office product), emails, watching movies, storing a good amount of music, and other daily activities. 

- price range of 2-4k

have a decent amount of storage 500-1tb+

According to your requirements, actually you can get either performance/gaming laptop or Ultrabook/regular laptop. Which one do you prefer?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler