Acer Swift 1 freezes while charging

gepowr

Okay, so this one is really frustrating...

My girlfriend bought this laptop a year ago and it has been working fine so far. Last week however it started to completely freeze while charging. It does not crash (no bsod) but it is completely unresponsive with absolutely no reaction to any key or touchpad clicks. It only freezes while charging (after 10mins+ when not actively being used), on battery the swift works absolutely fine and will not crash or freeze ever. 

Things that i've tried since i've found nothing on google:

- disableing fast startup in the power options (since that feature cause issues on my personal rigs before)

-running "troubleshoot" on "power" in the troubleshoot menu

Since the laptop is still running Windows 10 1803 i'm currently upgrading it to 1809 to check if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work, i will format it and reinstall a fresh version of Windows.

Does anyone know what else could be the problem ? I've found a thread in a forum where someone had the same problem with an older toshiba laptop and it turned out that it had a bad smd capacitor.

Main Rig:

CPU: i7 4790k -> Scythe Mugen 5 (Dual Arctic P12)

MoBo: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Gaming -> Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo ii

PSU: Bequiet Pure Power 10 700W

Case: Bequiet Pure Base 600 

Mobile Gaming 1: (XMG Fusion 15)

CPU: i7 9750H

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz

GPU: RTX 2070 MAX-Q

Mobile Gaming 2: (XMG P502 Pro)

CPU: i7 3740QM 

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: GTX 675MX 4GB

Ultrabook: (Dell Inspiron 13 5378)

CPU: i5 7200U

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz

GPU: HD 620

Server:

CPU: Athlon II x4 630

MoBo: Gigabyte/Dell 4GJJT

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1066MHz

GPU: Radeon HD 5450 1GB

4 minutes ago, gepowr said:

My girlfriend bought this laptop a year ago and it has been working fine so far. Last week however it started to completely freeze while charging. It does not crash (no bsod) but it is completely unresponsive with absolutely no reaction to any key or touchpad clicks. It only freezes while charging (after 10mins+ when not actively being used), on battery the swift works absolutely fine and will not crash or freeze ever. 

Things that i've tried since i've found nothing on google:

- disableing fast startup in the power options (since that feature cause issues on my personal rigs before)

-running "troubleshoot" on "power" in the troubleshoot menu

Since the laptop is still running Windows 10 1803 i'm currently upgrading it to 1809 to check if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work, i will format it and reinstall a fresh version of Windows.

Does anyone know what else could be the problem ? I've found a thread in a forum where someone had the same problem with an older toshiba laptop and it turned out that it had a bad smd capacitor.

i think that whenever the laptop stops being used it enters a mode where it's charging faster(like smartphones) or sth and maybe the charger has degraded and cannot supply enough power so the laptop is confused on what it should do(i know dumb response makes no sense xd)

2 hours ago, ki8aras said:

i think that whenever the laptop stops being used it enters a mode where it's charging faster(like smartphones) or sth and maybe the charger has degraded and cannot supply enough power so the laptop is confused on what it should do(i know dumb response makes no sense xd)

Okay so i just upgraded to Windows 10 1809 and nothing changed. It froze after just 7 minutes while plugged in. I'm now going to reinstall windows.

Main Rig:

Server:

56 minutes ago, gepowr said:

Okay so i just upgraded to Windows 10 1809 and nothing changed. It froze after just 7 minutes while plugged in. I'm now going to reinstall windows.

Hello,

What happens when you plug out the Power supply while it freezes?

Is the Fan still spinning when the Laptop freezes?

Is the backlight on the screen still on while it freezes?

When you reinstalled Windows do you use an USB-Drive or DVD and do you boot from it?

Is it correct that the Laptop not freezes if you do not charge it?

Do you have an SSD or and HDD?(sorry I don't know this Model :D)

I have some more Questions but if you answered these Questions I can make some suggestions. 

Greetings

Thorscript

55 minutes ago, Thorscript said:

What happens when you plug out the Power supply while it freezes?

Nothing, the laptop stays unresponsive until i hard reset it with holding the power button.

56 minutes ago, Thorscript said:

Is the Fan still spinning when the Laptop freezes?

The acer swift 1 doesn't have a fan, but the power led and charging led stay on.

57 minutes ago, Thorscript said:

Is the backlight on the screen still on while it freezes?

Yes, screen is on and displaying the image as it should.

58 minutes ago, Thorscript said:

When you reinstalled Windows do you use an USB-Drive or DVD and do you boot from it?

I just reinstalled using the reset option in the windows recovery settings and so far it's working fine. I'm currently charging it while the laptop is on and idleing (20min now, so far no freeze, previously it froze after 7 minutes).

1 hour ago, Thorscript said:

Is it correct that the Laptop not freezes if you do not charge it?

Yes.

Do you have an SSD or and HDD?(sorry I don't know this Model :D)

Full specs:

Intel Pentium N4200

4Gb DDR3 1866MHz

Micron 256Gb ssd

I have some more Questions but if you answered these Questions I can make some suggestions. 

Thank you, i appreciate it a lot. Maybe it's fixed already after the re-install. So far no crashes. I will get back to you if it happens again. Since the reinstall probably fixed the issue, i wonder which setting (or bug) caused this in windows.

Main Rig:

Server:

7 hours ago, gepowr said:

Nothing, the laptop stays unresponsive until i hard reset it with holding the power button.

The acer swift 1 doesn't have a fan, but the power led and charging led stay on.

Yes, screen is on and displaying the image as it should.

I just reinstalled using the reset option in the windows recovery settings and so far it's working fine. I'm currently charging it while the laptop is on and idleing (20min now, so far no freeze, previously it froze after 7 minutes).

Yes.

Full specs:

Intel Pentium N4200

4Gb DDR3 1866MHz

Micron 256Gb ssd

Thank you, i appreciate it a lot. Maybe it's fixed already after the re-install. So far no crashes. I will get back to you if it happens again. Since the reinstall probably fixed the issue, i wonder which setting (or bug) caused this in windows.

That's good news. ?

So if the backlight was stil on and you are not using an HDD and there was no USB-Device.

And with the reinstalling in mind.

It was an corrupted Windows installation or just a normal Virus.

But if it comes back you can reinstall windows with an Image of Win 10 1809 you can download it with the Microsoft Tool and make sure you have your serial just in case.

If it still comes back you have to test your hardware like SD-Ram, SSD and if it's possible GPU.

Greetings Thorscript

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, gepowr said:

Perhaps this solution works for you too: 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/556199/acer-swift-1-freezes