Help me choose a pair of headphones!

Gessler555

I have an year-old HyperX Cloud Stinger with 50mm drivers which has gotten pretty worn out along the ear pads, so I was thinking this is maybe a good time to buy a new pair, and also potentially better my audio experience while at it.

I'm looking at a budget of around or less than $200 and this is what my requirements are like:

> I want this for music, not gaming, so a microphone is not necessary. There's nothing wrong per se with my Cloud Stinger so when I feel the need for a mic gaming session I'll switch over to it anyway. I want this for a better music experience.

> Not much of a critical listener, although if a particular model designed for original sound (like AudioTechnica or Beyerdynamic) is considered a great value at this price, I'll definitely consider it.

> Not much of a bass freak either. A model with somewhat medium bass is just fine.

> I'll be using it with a desktop so has to be wired.

I actually had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm version) in mind, what are your thoughts on it?

Suggest me some models, people!

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

I have been using corsair void rgb pro usb for gaming and music,for gaming its such a wonderful headset but for music its horrible sounds like 10$ headphone then i decided to buy audio technica m50x and i heard the details that ive never heard before,its kinda flat studio headphone, it also has enough bass unlike crappy beats, i can recommend you to get m50x.If i remember correctly DT 770 pro has no bass.

Fidelio x2 for open headphone and beyerdynamic custom one pro for closed headphone

dont listen to the guy above me and get m50x. They are extremely uncomfortable to use for hours and mostly sounds meh and really rough

Dont listen to the troll and kid above me he knows nothing.Been wearing m50x for 8 hours and its one of most comfortable headphone so far.

10 hours ago, StanicEnemy said:

Dont listen to the troll and kid above me he knows nothing.Been wearing m50x for 8 hours and its one of most comfortable headphone so far.

Because that’s the only headphone you’ve tried so far.

Stop acting like you know shit about audio. Your main headphone is m50x. That’s enough to length of your knowledge in regards to the matter.

You even said DT770 is a bass light headphone which is a completely laughable and shows that you dont actually know about headphone sound signatures

21 hours ago, Gessler555 said:

I have an year-old HyperX Cloud Stinger with 50mm drivers which has gotten pretty worn out along the ear pads, so I was thinking this is maybe a good time to buy a new pair, and also potentially better my audio experience while at it.

I'm looking at a budget of around or less than $200 and this is what my requirements are like:

> I want this for music, not gaming, so a microphone is not necessary. There's nothing wrong per se with my Cloud Stinger so when I feel the need for a mic gaming session I'll switch over to it anyway. I want this for a better music experience.

> Not much of a critical listener, although if a particular model designed for original sound (like AudioTechnica or Beyerdynamic) is considered a great value at this price, I'll definitely consider it.

> Not much of a bass freak either. A model with somewhat medium bass is just fine.

I actually had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm version) in mind, what are your thoughts on it?

Get the Creative Aurvana Live. Best all around headphone for under $200. It compares to many headphones above that price range. 

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

Because that’s the only headphone you’ve tried so far.

Stop acting like you know shit about audio. Your main headphone is m50x. That’s enough to length of your knowledge in regards to the matter.

You even said DT770 is a bass light headphone which is a completely laughable and shows that you dont actually know about headphone sound signatures

Lmfao,did i say i know about the audio,you gotta grow up and learn how to read kiddo.

I personally have the DT 770 Pro 80ohm since 2014 and will always recommend to someone who just wants to listen to music. It's a little on the bass side but it's incredibly amazing.

Check out some reviews on youtube if you have interest in it. I'd also recommend buying an AMP/DAC.

I use it for music/gaming and video editing. The only problem I have with it is that the ear cups get pretty warm, so I'd suggest buying the leather ear cups in the future. 

On 11/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, Kibelok said:

I personally have the DT 770 Pro 80ohm since 2014 and will always recommend to someone who just wants to listen to music. It's a little on the bass side but it's incredibly amazing.

Check out some reviews on youtube if you have interest in it. I'd also recommend buying an AMP/DAC.

I use it for music/gaming and video editing. The only problem I have with it is that the ear cups get pretty warm, so I'd suggest buying the leather ear cups in the future. 

Is the 80ohm impedance ok for a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard? It has AudioBoost 2 and I'm wondering if its sufficient to drive the 80ohm version or if I should get 32ohm?

Any specific Amplifier you recommend for a beginner?

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

Just now, Gessler555 said:

Is the 80ohm impedance ok for a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard? It has AudioBoost 2 and I'm wondering if its sufficient to drive the 80ohm version or if I should get 32ohm?

Any specific Amplifier you recommend for a beginner?

I don't think your motherboard can drive it. I personally have a Maximus 7 Hero and use a FiiO E10K DAC to drive it.

FiiO has some great DACs for entry-level. There's also the famous Schiit Stack, though it can be expensive. Aune has some good ones like X1S and X7S. It all depends on how much you wanna spend on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, Gessler555 said:

I have a pair of sennheiser 598 C's (special edition) and I love them. Comes with a 6.3mm and 3.5mm cable. Nice even sound signature, comfy, tonnes of adjustment, and they feel and look premium.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)